Pioneer VSX-92TXH A/V Receiver - A brief Review

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Brief Review of the Pioneer Elite VSX-92THX A/V Receiver

Urushi is the Japanese craft of laquerware. Those shiny black and red lacquered wooden bowls and boxes represent examples of urushi. What that has to do with home audio/video is another matter. Pioneer refers to the finish on the aluminum front panel of the VSX-92THX receiver as urushi. Whether the finish is actually urushi or just black and shiny is probably immaterial. It creates an elegant look.

The VSX-92THX occupies a position in the Elite lineup right behind the VSX94THX which is a similar unit that adds network connectivity to the mix. With a MAP price of $1300 this unit falls in the upper middle price bracket of big name A/V receivers. If you want the connectivity, $300 more will buy you the Elite VSX94THX.

CONNECTIVITY and SETUP

The back panel of the 92 features 3 HDMI 1.3a inputs and an output. If you use analog connectivity it also has 3 assignable component video inputs as well as an output. 6 S-video and 7 composite inputs finish out the video array. In case you were worried, there are also a total of 10 analog audio inputs so you shouldn’t run out of connectivity. There is even a phono input for moving magnet cartridges in case you want to add a turntable to your A/V system. There are also dedicated inputs for Ipod, Sirius and XM radio. You should be able to connect any and every input device you own to the 92.

My own collection of input devices include a DirecTV DVR and three disc players that connect via HDMI. I have the three players on a switch so I only used two of the three HDMI inputs, leaving one for future expansion. My Wii game connects via component video so it was just a matter of plugging it in and assigning the component video section to the Game 1 input to which I connected the audio. There are also 5 optical and 2 coaxial digital audio inputs and a couple of outputs. My Slim Devices Squeezbox connected happily to one of the optical inputs. I have a 5.1 speaker setup and wired it up using tinned bare wire as I always do. The connectors are strong and of high quality. The sub connected to one of the 3 sub pre-outs and a little wire served as an FM antenna. That’s all there was to it for my home theater. There is plenty of room for future additions to the system.

MCACC is the name of the speaker setup and room equalization routine in the receiver. It works about like any of them do using a little microphone that is supplied. It is quite comprehensive. You can run the setup automatically or manually as you prefer. It has 9 bands of equalization. It has a feature called Full Band Phase Control that is designed to correct phase distortion in case time delays in the speaker array cause it. It corrects for standing waves, reverb and about anything else you could imagine. It even features setup presets that you can save to memory and recall as needed. That allows you to have different MCACC setups for different listening positions or different input devices. It is very comprehensive and effective.

PROCESSOR

The VSX-92THX has a clean and accurate digital processor. It produces no audible artifacts and steers the signals exactly as one would expect. The sound presentation is right on the money and exciting to hear for someone like me who hasn’t had a high quality processor as good as this one before. It features decoders for about every digital audio scheme ever devised including the latest Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master. It provides video scaling up to 1080p with a Faroudja DCDi scaler. It provides conversion from analog to HDMI or lower analog connections to component video.

Are there better processors? I’m sure there are but this one blows me away since my prior experience is just with an old Marantz pre/pro that had nothing beyond Dolby Digital and an Onkyo 605 receiver which has a very poor processor compared to this one. I could be blown away again, I suppose, but I’m pretty impressed with this one.

The processor also features some unusual capabilities like SACD and DVD-A audio transfer from HDMI, just the ticket for my HDMI-connected Oppo 980 player. It has 24 bit converters – 96khz for the ADC and 128khz for the DAC.

The receiver is THX Select 2 certified and handles all of the decoding automatically. It senses whatever is fed to it and decodes it automatically in either of 3 THX modes. If you want to enhance stereo signals for matrix surround or any number of DSP modes, those are available in profusion either under the TXH umbrella or not. I tried out the “classical” DSP mode, which adds some auditorium-like reverb to the sound presentation, and it was amazingly realistic to me. I’m not sure I’m a huge fan of this sort of processing but I have to admit it is pretty well implemented in the 92.

Of course, there is a direct stream mode that bypasses any processing that might otherwise lay in the audio path. You don’t have to use the processor when you don’t need it or want it.

AMPLIFIERS. The Pioneer Elite line is all about amplifiers and the VSX-92THX has an array of seven muscular 130 watt amps. This is the 8 ohm rating. They are rated at 160 watts each into 6 ohms. I heard a demonstration of this receiver at the dealer’s showroom driving 4 ohm speakers uncomfortably loudly. There was no clipping and no audible distortion. While the amps aren’t rated for 4 ohms, there is no question that they can drive such a load. The amplifier stage is well supplied with current and runs as cool as any amplifier I’ve ever encountered. Even in my enclosed home entertainment center, the top of the receiver cabinet gets just barely warm to the touch.

The receiver has preamp outputs, of course, but I don’t think I would buy a receiver with amps this good if my plan were to add an outboard amp. There are receivers and pre/pros with competent processors for less money. The amplification in the 92 should handle virtually any home theater in virtually any normal home. It is that good.

The VSX-92THX also provides for multi zone connections and provides 12v triggers to control power to outboard amps or other devices for multi-room listening.

CONCLUSION

I’ve left out many of the features and capabilities of this unit in this brief review simply because it can become overwhelming and because I didn’t use or test all of the available functions.

By now you have probably guessed that I like this receiver a lot and I do. It’s hard to imagine what else I could want in a receiver besides a great looking, feature-laden unit with a muscular amp section, a clean and accurate processor and even a great performing FM tuner. Perhaps it is network connectivity and that is easy to add by simply choosing the VSX-94THX instead. Personally, I don’t intend to stream video and I do my audio streaming and internet radio with my Slim Devices Squeezebox so this was probably the right unit for me.

Whenever I talk about a product, I like to talk about the negatives. This receiver has no negatives or “cons” for me. It might for someone else but it is everything I ever wanted in an A/V receiver and I wouldn’t change a thing, personally. That could change as my experience with it matures over time but I think it is very well designed and implemented. Really, I wouldn’t change a thing. If you are in the market for a great A/V receiver in the middle price range, visit your Pioneer dealer and check out the VSX-92THX. You’ll be glad you did.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Great review FMW. Very informative and well written.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Nice review, care to get some pictures from under the hood?:D

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments. Seth, I came very close to opening it up and photographing it just in case someone asked. I should have. I didn't because I was short on time and anxious to get it set up. It is completely installed in my home entertainment furniture now so what you ask isn't possible until I take it out one day for some reason. If I do, I promise I'll shoot it with the top cover off.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Great Review FMW, I just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-91 to use as Temp Pre-Amp for a price I couldn't pass up, and still have a Elite VSX-81. They are extremely reliable units, with excellent sound. Although I can't speak of the Upscaling quality, the performance of HDMI switching has been flawless. With the lack of competent Pre-Amps up until lately they serve me very well and truly deliver, for what I need.

If I wasn't looking to go seperates, I would still recommend Pioneer Elite for the sound, build quality, and reliability.

Happy Pioneer Enthusiast

Warpdrv

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments. Seth, I came very close to opening it up and photographing it just in case someone asked. I should have. I didn't because I was short on time and anxious to get it set up. It is completely installed in my home entertainment furniture now so what you ask isn't possible until I take it out one day for some reason. If I do, I promise I'll shoot it with the top cover off.
For future reference, if you get a new receiver or amplifier, you gotta pop it's top off.:D

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Great Review FMW, I just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-91 to use as Temp Pre-Amp for a price I couldn't pass up, and still have a Elite VSX-81. They are extremely reliable units, with excellent sound. Although I can't speak of the Upscaling quality, the performance of HDMI switching has been flawless. With the lack of competent Pre-Amps up until lately they serve me very well and truly deliver, for what I need.

If I wasn't looking to go seperates, I would still recommend Pioneer Elite for the sound, build quality, and reliability.

Happy Pioneer Enthusiast

Warpdrv
I don't know if the 92 amps are any stronger than those in the 91. If they aren't, then it is hard for me to imagine any motivation at all to put in a separate amp. No kidding, these amps are brutes.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know if the 92 amps are any stronger than those in the 91. If they aren't, then it is hard for me to imagine any motivation at all to put in a separate amp. No kidding, these amps are brutes.
Depends on the impedence... or whether you want alot of headroom...
I noticed a good difference from the amp in my Pioneer to the 200x5 Rotel, but hey, I like to crank it, and keep it clean.. Not everyone wants the db level I do. The Pioneer amp section did a fine job... :)

J

JBthatsme

Enthusiast
i have the 94 i love it still learning how to use it...happen to know how to get it to dts-master on blu-ray movies???what is pcm??

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
In the first place you would need a disc that has DTS-Master encoded on it. Personally, I've never seen one to my knowledge. Then you would need to set up the Blu-Ray player to send the unencoded bitstream to the receiver. The Pioneer will then decode it automatically under THX Cinema.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
After one month of use I've decided there is one negative thing I can say about the 92 and it is a minor one. The volume control responds slowly to the remote so, when I hold the control down, it keeps going after I've let up on the remote. I've grown accustomed to clicking it repeatedly instead and counting the clicks. The manual volume control reponds instantly, incidentally.

That's it. It's minor and, I suppose, even expected on a component as complex as this one. I wouldn't change anything else.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
Thats odd FMW, I haven't noticed any delay/lag with the remote of the 94. Not sure what would cause that? Then again, I'm rarely turning up or down the volume extremely fast, I'm usually pretty certain at what levels I plan to listen to things at and set it and go. Interesting.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My guess is that you don't have a wife who turns down the volume a long way requiring a large adjustment when you watch. Try it out. You'll see what I mean. It isn't a big deal. I just wanted to find something I would change with the product.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
Got rid of my ex, she interefered with my audio addictions :p

Tried it out with my remote though, holding down the volume to lower and raise it, and whenever I release it always stops the very next decibel setting. Must be a slight difference in the remote for the 92 and the 94, though I cannot imagine its much of one. The remotes are not that great from what I've seen. Oh well, great review in any case.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
That's interesting. I'm using the Harmony remote. Maybe it has some translation to do as it transmits. I'll try the original remote this evening.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Color me red in the face. The problem is the interaction between the Harmony 880 remote the receiver. The original remote works exactly as Thaedium describes. I have to withdraw my comment. Obviously, it isn't fair to criticize Pioneer for the performance of a third party remote. I guess I wouldn't change anything on the 92 after all. One super receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis