Pioneer VSX-815 vs Onkyo TX-SR501 receivers

S

seesara

Audiophyte
I just ordered the Athena Technologies Micra 6 speakers, based on the $1,000 budget system recommendation. I was going to also get the Pioneer VSX-815 receiver that's also recommended, since my 35-year-old Sony receiver doesn't have all the jacks in the back for the new speaker system, but I discovered that I can't plug my turntable into the Pioneer receiver. I believe the Onkyo TX-SR501 does have a phone input, but I don't know how it compares to the Pioneer in other respects. I'm totally new to all of this, and I'd really value opinions: would it be better to get the Pioneer receiver and a separate phono preamp or the Onkyo with the built-in phono input? My next purchase will be a HDTV, probably a 26 to 32-inch LCD, if that makes any difference. I also will be plugging in a 5-disk DVD player and a dual-tape deck. Everything I have is at least 10 years old and I'm ready to upgrade. Thanks!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think the Onkyo 501 has a phono input. I have a 502 and it doesn't have one either. You have to jump up to the 700 series to get a phono input. So the phono input is a moot point for choosing between Onkyo and Pioneer.

It will come down to features and useability to determine which one you prefer. I think Onkyo wins hands down in that regard, but that is just my preference having owned various Onkyo receivers for the last 10 years.

If you do decide on Onkyo and want to stay in the lower price range, I would suggest you get the 502 instead of the 501. The only difference between the two is in bass management. For the 501, they decided to invent their own terminology. So instead of just setting each speaker to small or large and subwoofer=yes or no, it has 'modes'; ie mode1 is the equivalent of all speakers small and subwoofer=yes, mode2 is front speakers large and the rest small and subwoofer=yes, etc. They fixed that stupidity with the 502 and newer models.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Most receivers these days do not have a phono input. You can buy an inexpensive phono preamp from somewhere like Radio Shack and hook it to any receiver via an analog input though. Me personally, I'd go with the Onkyo over the Pioneer, and I'd probably go with the 502 or even the 503 over the 501 also.

S

seesara

Audiophyte
j_garcia said:
Most receivers these days do not have a phono input. You can buy an inexpensive phono preamp from somewhere like Radio Shack and hook it to any receiver via an analog input though. Me personally, I'd go with the Onkyo over the Pioneer, and I'd probably go with the 502 or even the 503 over the 501 also.
Thanks for the advice. I looked around for the Onkyo and found the TX-SR 602 for $349 at Circuit City and the TX-SR 603X for $399 at Vann's. My question is: is the 603X worth the extra $50 or does it just have a lot of stuff I don't need? I like the feature of the microphone that automatically sets up the speakers, which they both have (I'm totally clueless about setup). $400 is more than I wanted to spend, but if there's a compelling reason to spend $50 more than the 602, I'd consider the 603X. Also, Ubid has the 602s refurbished--is this a fairly safe option? Or would the 502 or 503 meet my needs (Athena Technology Micra 6 speakers, 32" LCD HDTV, DVD player, VCR, dual tape deck, 5-cd disk changer, turntable)? I could use some advice on what to buy...my speakers will be arriving any day now and I won't be able to hear them until I get a new receiver. Thanks!

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't know if you would be able to move outside that budget, but I'd recommend the 60x over the 50x also :) I haven't checked out the 603, but the 602 seems like a solid unit. I installed a 601 (6.1, no auto setup) for a customer recently and I felt it was very decent for the price. Respectable power in the price range, good sound, and pretty straight forward to setup.

As long as you get a warranty with the refurb, I don't think it's a bad option at all.

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The 502 would be sufficient for your setup but the 60x series adds a few features you might be interested in. Specifically, the 602 has the auto setup and zone2 capability that the 502 lacks. It also has other minor additions like IntelliVolume that lets you set different levels for each source (if say the DVD is always 10 dB louder than cable, you can set -10 dB for the DVD IntelliVolume in an attempt to make the volumes similar when you switch sources) and the ability to change the volume display from absolute to relative.

The 603x adds an XM radio tuner. That's not a feature I care about because I will never pay a subscription fee for radio.

Shaft0rz

Shaft0rz

Enthusiast
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail~dpno~496061.asp

Onkyo 602 for $230, + ~$40 s/h. It's a pretty decent deal. I actually bought mine when the price had dropped to $199, but it seems to have risen again. ECost isn't the best retailer I've used, but their refurbished units are a great deal. I'm happy with my 602 (a permanent marker spot on the receiver saved me a couple hundred).

EDIT: correct "is the best retailer", shouldn't been isn't

Last edited:
S

seesara

Audiophyte
Thanks to all of you! I can't tell you how helpful your advice is! I'll go with the 602, and I think I'll try the refurbished. That's in the price range I was hoping for.

One last question (to appease my husband): will this receiver be as good / better / worse than a separate amplifier and tuner for the same total price?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not to worry, you probably aren't going to find any recent pre/pro + amp setups that will be in that price range. Separates, even used, for recent stuff is still going to run a minimum of about $1500 and up, older stuff maybe in the $1K range.

S

seesara

Audiophyte
Best speakers and receiver for $600 total?

MDS said:
It will come down to features and useability to determine which one you prefer. I think Onkyo wins hands down in that regard, but that is just my preference having owned various Onkyo receivers for the last 10 years.
I just found out that Amazon cancelled my order for the Athena Technologies Micra 6 speakers, which they were selling for $250. They told me that the speakers are now unavailable. I still haven't bought the Onkyo receiver (TX-SR602) I planned to buy, though not for lack of trying. I expect to pay about $350 for that 7.1 channel receiver. Now that the speaker order has been cancelled, before I search for them elsewhere, can anyone weigh in on if there is a better option than the Athena Micra speakers? For $600 total, are these my best bet for speakers and receiver? I feel like I'm back at square one, so I'm open to anything at this point. Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you want really small speakers like the Athena Micra you could consider the Rocket Tykes from http://www.av123.com. I have a set, brand new, never been out of the box and I won't be using them.

I haven't had much luck getting anyone on the forum interested in them...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis