Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 Speaker System Review

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, from Pioneer:

A Taller Speaker
When we were designing the SP-FS52s, we listened carefully to what users were saying they wanted. As a result, we increased the speaker height by 3 inches. The result is improved sound quality due to the speakers being closer to ear-level
Which is sort of ironic because comparing them to other speakers in person at BB, they were without question the shortest ones. Had to look these up, but the P363 is 43" tall with the tweeter at the top. Polk Monitors are 37" (65T) and 42" (75T), TSI400 is 39". Boston Acoustics A360 is 41.8".

If it were below ear level it might be an issue, but slightly above will not be and "ear level" really has a range of about a foot or so in which it will generally still work well (meaning roughly +/-6" not +/-12"), depending on the speaker IMHO. The center will also be well off ear level based on what is being said here as well, something that can be somewhat compensated for by angling it up toward the listener.

Last edited:
Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Well, the P363 has the tweet below the midrange, so it is substantially lower than 43", but point taken, especially with the Monitor 75T. Obviously, seated ear height varies. I'm 6'4", so my ear height could be higher than most folks. Generally accepted is that it is beneficially to have the tweeter located as near ear height as possible, and the most common range is 32-36". It's tough to say how far above or below is acceptable, because what you're really talking about is vertical degrees. If you sit closer, the degree of axis will be greater than is you are farther way. All that said, within 5 degrees vertically, most speakers won't have much of a skewed response. 5 degrees is 10.5" above or below the tweeter at 10', so there's a lot of wiggle room there, but if you can be right on axis, why not?

Which is sort of ironic because comparing them to other speakers in person at BB, they were without question the shortest ones. Had to look these up, but the P363 is 43" tall with the tweeter at the top. Polk Monitors are 37" (65T) and 42" (75T), TSI400 is 39". Boston Acoustics A360 is 41.8".

If it were below ear level it might be an issue, but slightly above will not be and "ear level" really has a range of about a foot or so in which it will generally still work well (meaning roughly +/-6" not +/-12"), depending on the speaker IMHO. The center will also be well off ear level based on what is being said here as well, something that can be somewhat compensated for by angling it up toward the listener.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't disagree with that at all, ear level is the ideal and what one should definitely shoot for IMO. Just saying a few inches outside that isn't a deal breaker for me, though it does also vary with the speaker itself based on said off axis capability of that speaker's top end. I was going to mention the individual's height, but I think you clearly already have that one covered lol. Floor covering can be a factor as well - tweeter closer to the floor may not like hardwood floors as much as carpet (it will be brighter no matter what with a hard floor though), depending on the seating distance. I sit 11' from my speakers.

Side note - on a few forums users have been adding pedestals, either bought or DIY'ed, to the FS52s to raise the tweeter level.

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
Lots of good info here. Thanks!

One poster noted that the FS52's come with plinths. If so, then are the towers taller than 35"?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Lots of good info here. Thanks!

One poster noted that the FS52's come with plinths. If so, then are the towers taller than 35"?
I have a feeling that is with them installed; they are only about 3/4"-1" tall, so wouldn't make a big difference.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I have not measured the height with the plinth but as said above, they will not add much to the height of the speaker. When I had the FS52's set up, I did not have an issue with their height, but I am of average height and had a lower sitting sofa at the time, so my seated ear level was probably a bit lower than average.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'll have to measure the tweeter height when I get home, but my FS52's are on a shelf behind my screen so they are quite a bit higher than if they were on the floor. I'm 6'3" so my ear height is higher than most as well. Plus I'm ~11' away from them.

I

icycalm

Audiophyte
Can someone give me a hand with picking a receiver for these things? I am a complete novice in this business, upgrading from the $400-to-$500 5.1 all-in-one Logitechs/Creatives/Klipsches for computer systems, so I've never had to think about receivers before. The main thing I am worried about is under- or overpowering the speakers and damaging them. I just spent the last 5 or 6 hours reading up threads and reviews, and I am further away from a decision than I was before I started research, so I would appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could take the decision off my hands so I can get some sleep. My number 1 candidate is the Sony STR-DN1040 because of how well it's been reviewed and its slew of connectivity options (many of which I plan to use). Would that be a good match? (Note that I am getting two sets of the bookshelf speakers for a 7.1 system.) Or what about a cheaper 7.1 option from Pioneer? They have so many models that seem so close together in terms of specifications that I think flipping a coin would be an easier way to reach a decision than to think :(

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Can someone give me a hand with picking a receiver for these things? My number 1 candidate is the Sony STR-DN1040 because of how well it's been reviewed and its slew of connectivity options (many of which I plan to use). Would that be a good match? (Note that I am getting two sets of the bookshelf speakers for a 7.1 system.) Or what about a cheaper 7.1 option from Pioneer? :(
The Sony DN1040 is a nice option

Sony, Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer - 80 watts and up, 20 hz to 20 khz will be fine > do not be overly concerned
about specs - receivers today tend to hold up better, compared to the past.

There are also refurb receivers at AC4L

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Can someone give me a hand with picking a receiver for these things? I am a complete novice in this business, upgrading from the $400-to-$500 5.1 all-in-one Logitechs/Creatives/Klipsches for computer systems, so I've never had to think about receivers before. The main thing I am worried about is under- or overpowering the speakers and damaging them. I just spent the last 5 or 6 hours reading up threads and reviews, and I am further away from a decision than I was before I started research, so I would appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could take the decision off my hands so I can get some sleep. My number 1 candidate is the Sony STR-DN1040 because of how well it's been reviewed and its slew of connectivity options (many of which I plan to use). Would that be a good match? (Note that I am getting two sets of the bookshelf speakers for a 7.1 system.) Or what about a cheaper 7.1 option from Pioneer? They have so many models that seem so close together in terms of specifications that I think flipping a coin would be an easier way to reach a decision than to think :(

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.
The worst problem you would have would be overdriving speakers with an underpowered receiver (when it hits its limits and sends tons of distortion into the speakers - bad) - which won't happen with that Sony. Since you're going to go with a 7.1 system - which taxes the amplifier, just go with the Sony and not something cheaper. I'm assuming you want to crank up the sound with boom-bang movies.

If it's got the features that you want, then I say go for it.

(Though if you wait a day or two, I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions. Asking about the size of your room, budget, etc.)

usery

usery

Audioholic Intern
Can someone give me a hand with picking a receiver for these things? ... The main thing I am worried about is under- or overpowering the speakers and damaging them... My number 1 candidate is the Sony STR-DN1040 because of how well it's been reviewed and its slew of connectivity options (many of which I plan to use). Would th.
Today is last day of Newegg's latest discount round on the well-reviewed Yamaha RX-V773WA: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377&Tpk=rx-v773. I too was looking at Sony STR-DN1040, Denon X-series, others. Went with the Yahama due to reliability/quality concerns around the HDMI interfaces in the others. At $470 shipped the Yamaha is a near-nobrainer and should drive the Pioneer 5.1 sp's just fine.

Last edited:
I

icycalm

Audiophyte
Another question that's bothering me... The reviewer recommended we scrap the included subwoofer and go for an SVS PB1000 or SB1000. But these are 300 Watt subwoofers, and both the STR DN1040 that I picked and your RX-V773WA can only handle around 130 Watts per channel... Wouldn't we need a monster of a receiver to safely drive his recommended subwoofer?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Another question that's bothering me... The reviewer recommended we scrap the included subwoofer and go for an SVS PB1000 or SB1000. But these are 300 Watt subwoofers, and both the STR DN1040 that I picked and your RX-V773WA can only handle around 130 Watts per channel... Wouldn't we need a monster of a receiver to safely drive his recommended subwoofer?
The subwoofer has its own built in amp - the receiver will send the signal to it.

C

calvinosaurus

Audiophyte
Hey guys...first post, and still fairly new to HT. Still trying to learn, but some of this stuff can be a bit much for me :p In any case, I recently purchased this speaker set (The two towers, the two bookshelfs, and the center...I didn't get the sub that goes with it since I wanted something more powerful) and a Pioneer VSX-1123k AVR, set up in a 5.1 configuration. So far I'm very pleased with them, although I find myself having to raise the volume quite a bit to have the sound fill my room nicely. The max volume level on the AVR is +12db, and so far I've had it as loud as -14db while watching a movie to have the room sound full at a volume to my liking. My living room is approximately 15'x16' with 9' ceilings, and the living room opens up to a hallway and the dining room.

In its specs it states that the AVR is rated at 90 watts per channel (20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm), and 165 watts per channel (1kHz,1%THD@6ohm). I realize that AVR manufacturers like to fudge their numbers to make their product sound better or more powerful sometimes and this is where I tend to get confused, such as what the power rating would be per channel at the 6ohms these speakers require at 20hz-20kHz. Basically what I'd like to know is if this AVR is powerful enough to drive these speakers safely at the kinda loud-ish volumes I had them at? I did not hear any distortion or clipping so far, so I assume it's been okay so far. But what if I wanted to turn them up even a bit louder? I'd just like to know if the AVR is strong enough to drive these speakers to their full potential. If I had to I could return the AVR and get something a bit stronger if that was necessary, but would like to avoid it if possible since I have everything all plugged in and set up nicely lol.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm anxious to learn as much as I can, and like to give as many details as I can. Thank you for your help and advice!

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Your pioneer is designed to play within it's full volume range, as long as it's well ventilated and playing 6-8 ohm speakers, which the pioneer speakers are per the measurements in the review. Without looking into the specs of your receiver, it may even have a 4 ohm setting.

The other nice thing is tat modern avrs are pretty smart. When they get too hot, or when a speaker wire is shorted, they give you an error message and then politely turn off. My Pioneer from the mid-90s did this, so I'm sure yours does now as well.

6-10db is the debated range when perceived volume is doubled, so conservatively, the 0dB level setting, or reference volume on your AVR would be about 1.5 time louder than the loudest you've gone for far (-14dB). If you pushed it to the max, you'd be 3x louder than you are currently.

Long story short: turn it up and enjoy.

Hey guys...first post, and still fairly new to HT. Still trying to learn, but some of this stuff can be a bit much for me :p In any case, I recently purchased this speaker set (The two towers, the two bookshelfs, and the center...I didn't get the sub that goes with it since I wanted something more powerful) and a Pioneer VSX-1123k AVR, set up in a 5.1 configuration. So far I'm very pleased with them, although I find myself having to raise the volume quite a bit to have the sound fill my room nicely. The max volume level on the AVR is +12db, and so far I've had it as loud as -14db while watching a movie to have the room sound full at a volume to my liking. My living room is approximately 15'x16' with 9' ceilings, and the living room opens up to a hallway and the dining room.

In its specs it states that the AVR is rated at 90 watts per channel (20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm), and 165 watts per channel (1kHz,1%THD@6ohm). I realize that AVR manufacturers like to fudge their numbers to make their product sound better or more powerful sometimes and this is where I tend to get confused, such as what the power rating would be per channel at the 6ohms these speakers require at 20hz-20kHz. Basically what I'd like to know is if this AVR is powerful enough to drive these speakers safely at the kinda loud-ish volumes I had them at? I did not hear any distortion or clipping so far, so I assume it's been okay so far. But what if I wanted to turn them up even a bit louder? I'd just like to know if the AVR is strong enough to drive these speakers to their full potential. If I had to I could return the AVR and get something a bit stronger if that was necessary, but would like to avoid it if possible since I have everything all plugged in and set up nicely lol.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm anxious to learn as much as I can, and like to give as many details as I can. Thank you for your help and advice!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Your pioneer is designed to play within it's full volume range, as long as it's well ventilated and playing 6-8 ohm speakers, which the pioneer speakers are per the measurements in the review. Without looking into the specs of your receiver, it may even have a 4 ohm setting.
I typically never recommend using the "4 ohm" setting on an AV receiver.

Here is why:
Setting the A/V Receiver Impedance Selector Switch | Audioholics

C

calvinosaurus

Audiophyte

The other nice thing is tat modern avrs are pretty smart. When they get too hot, or when a speaker wire is shorted, they give you an error message and then politely turn off. My Pioneer from the mid-90s did this, so I'm sure yours does now as well.

6-10db is the debated range when perceived volume is doubled, so conservatively, the 0dB level setting, or reference volume on your AVR would be about 1.5 time louder than the loudest you've gone for far (-14dB). If you pushed it to the max, you'd be 3x louder than you are currently.

Long story short: turn it up and enjoy.
Thanks for the reply, that's reassuring and as I've been reading more in the past few days about the topic of power ratings and now amps deliver power, etc, I'm pretty sure that I was worrying over nothing and that I should be okay with my setup. Thanks again!

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Thanks for the reply, that's reassuring and as I've been reading more in the past few days about the topic of power ratings and now amps deliver power, etc, I'm pretty sure that I was worrying over nothing and that I should be okay with my setup. Thanks again!
You're very welcome. We're glad to have you at audioholics.

M

morphemes

Audiophyte
'In-room 1 meter Listening Window Response' o_O
set phasers to

Last edited:
M

morphemes

Audiophyte
Yeah, anyway...

I bought these speakers a year ago this month. Ever since (& even prior to) I have incessantly referenced this review. So, it has really been very helpful, but... It's bias.

huh?

No, no, no no no... Not like a subjective bias or anything like that. No, the data is objectively bias. The measurements attempt to depict a listening window. I've only just realized this & without sounding overly dramatic, it's kind of devastating. I mean, all the wasted time... It's entirely my own fault, but, still!

I'd like to know what microphone was used to take the measurements found in the review & if any weighting was applied & if so, where. I could try reading the rest of the review, but... What if it doesn't say? What then!?!

I'm using a Dayton Audio IMM-6 to measure & my data isn't at all in line with this review (& basically everything I know about soft dome tweeters). The Review shows that the speakers exhibit a boost in the frequency response starting at around 10K (save for the actually (surprise) on-axis BS22 measurement). This is... Impossible! Soft dome tweeters exhibit sub-20khz high frequency rolloff... Depending on who you ask, it really is their only weakness. More importantly, my science backs this up, the things do indeed roll off. So, again... Are these weighted sweeps?

Regardless, I've spent a year with these speakers & if I could change anything, I would have passed on the FS52s. If performance is your deal, if you are truly the no-compromises audiophile type (not to be confused with rich person), then you do NOT want the FS52. They're nice, just not what I was expecting. Of the three models, they really are the greatest compromise. I foolishly decided to purchase a third (so as to have matching mains). I should have known...

The FS52 is apparently intended for people who more willing to place an emphasis on quantity, rather than quality. Don't get me wrong! For a tower, the FS52 is a great entry level option. The thing is, of the three designs, the FS52 is the ONLY one I'd call "entry level".

That being said, the BS22 & C22 are where it's at! But, if I could only have one, I'd choose the C22.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis