Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi - Here it Comes!

N

Nuke

Enthusiast
Could this be a Yammy RX-V2600 killer?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/09/pioneers-elite-vsx-80txv-81txv-82txs-and-84txsi-receivers/

Can't wait to see the review on this! Looks like it has 1080p HDMI switching... Genesis DCDi Faroudja upscaling (really?)... and a New Sharc-EX + 48-bit Freescale DSP (now that sounds impressive).

Goog "84TXSi" and you'll find liks to goober companies who are already ready to take your money for it. One of them has a great picture of the back side of this unit, though.

Pioneer's site has been down since Thursday, so I wasn't able to get any info there, yet.

Anyone else have more info on this? Street dates? Audioholic review dates? Real pricing?

- Nuke

[EDIT: We commandeered this thread for the official Pioneer VSX-84TXSi receiver thread... Review is pending, so stay tuned! - Admin.]

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HiHoStevo

Audiophyte
I am having HDMI issues with my Denon 2807....

Problems with both my new HD-DVD player (no sound & no video) and my HD-Tivo (video but no sound).

So I am VERY interested in this new Pioneer....... anyone with more information please post!:eek:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Here's some quotes I've read regarding the new Pioneer Elite 8 series receivers:

From engadget.com

The VSX-84 is the replacement for the current VSX-74. From what I understand, the flagship piece would be rolling out in 07...so we'll have to wait a little longer to get a replacement for the 59TXi...but the wait should definitely be worth it.
Why would ANYONE buy a new receiver/preamp/processor now when TrueHD and DTS HD are being released? That is one of the only things preventing me from buying a new unit is waiting for the processors to be put on board.
Specs:

MSRP: $1500

Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi Specifications
POWER AND SOUND

* 140 Watts x 7 Direct Energy Amplification (20Hz – 20kHz, 8 ohms, .09% THD – FTC)
* Stream Direct Mode
* Air Studios Sound Tuning
* Rigid Trans Stabilizer Construction

A/V PROCESSING
Audio:

* New Sharc-EX + 48-bit Freescale DSP
* Advanced MCACC with 9 Band EQ & Phase Control
* Standing Wave & X-Curve Control
* Sound Retriever for Portable and XM Radio
* 192 kHz / 24-Bit Audio Digital to Analog Conversion
* THX™ Select 2 Processing & Certification
* Dolby Digital® EX, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, & WMA-9 Decoders
* Neural Surround for XM-HD Radio
* Advanced Concert and Cinema Surround (12 Modes)
* Digital Noise Reduction

Video:

* Digital Video Conversion Up to HDMI
* HD Video Scaling to 1080i or 720p
* Analog Video Parameter Processing

CONNECTIVITY

* 4 HDMI Inputs / 1 HDMI Output – 1080p / DVD-A Compatible
* iPod® Audio, Photo, and Video Connection – Cable Included
* XM®-Ready with On-Screen Display
* Dual i.LINK Digital Audio Interface with Jitter-Free PQLS
* 3 Component Video Inputs / 1 Component Video Output
* 4 S-Video Inputs / 2 S-Video Outputs
* 7 Digital Inputs / 2 Digital Outputs (optical)
* 2 Composite Video Outputs
* Phono Input
* USB Input for PC Audio

CUSTOM FEATURES

* On-Screen Display
* 3 Zone Multi-Room & Source (Analog A/V Out for Zone 2 /
* Digital Audio Out for Zone 3)
* RS232C Interface
* Dual 12 Volt Triggers with 2nd / 3rd Zone Assignment for Each Function
* Dual I/R Inputs
* Assignable Surround-Back Speaker for Multi-Room and Bi-Amp
* Main Room / Multi-Room Remote Control for Zone 2 and Zone 3
* LCD Preset / Learning Remote with Preset
* Multi-Operation
* Secondary Main Room Remote with iPod and XM Control and Audio Sgnals, Including: DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Dolby Digital®, DTS® Digital Surround, and More.
* Dual i.LINK Outputs - Single Wire Connection Providing Jitter-Free Multi-Channel High Resolution Audio, Including: DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby Digital®, DTS® Digital Surround, and More.

PRODUCT DIMENSIONS

* W x H X D: 16.54” x 7.36” x 18.35”
* Weight: 35.3 lbs.

CARTON DIMENSIONS

* W x H X D: 21.59” x 12.37” x 20.45”
* Weight: 42.9 lbs.

UPC

CONNECTION DESCRIPTIONS

* 4 HDMI Inputs/1 HDMI Output for HDTV/5.1/DVD Audio and Video/
* Digital Video Conversion to HDMI
* 2 i.LINK Advanced Resolution Digital Audio Inputs for DVD-Audio,
* SACD, 5.1 and Stereo Audio Signals
* SR+ Plasma Control/Custom IR/Multi-Room A/V Output/
* Multi-Room Digital Out/12-Volt Trigger
* 6 Composite A/V and 4 S-Video Inputs for Cable TV/Satellite/VCR/
* DVD-Player/DVD-Recorder/Game Console
* XM® Connect-and-Play™ Antenna Receiver/Audio/
* On-Screen Menus
* 3 Component Video Inputs for HD Video Sources – Cable/ Set-Top
* Box/Game Console/Digital Video Conversion
* 7 Assignable Digital Inputs for DVD Player/Recorder/Satellite/
* Cable/Game Console 5.1 Audio; 2 Assignable Digital Outputs with
* Multi-Room Option
* IR Control/RS-232c for Advanced MCACC Room Calibration and
* Custom Control Systems/USB Input** for PC Audio
* Ready for iPod Audio, Photo, and Video/On-Screen Menus/Charger
* Assignable Surround Back Speaker Output for Zone 2,
* Bi-Amp, Multi-Room/Mulit-Source Options

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
This bad boy looks too good to be true:)

Mated with a decent multichannel amp and WOW,
does it get any better.....

I wonder if Pioneer is going to put this thing out in silver? I heard Denon is done with silver units:confused:

geoh

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
Anybody else notice the fact that it has an attached paper thin power cord?

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
braminator said:
Anybody else notice the fact that it has an attached paper thin power cord?
All part of cost cutting I imagine. That's probably why it's so hard to believe that these units are really to replace the 56TXi. I've heard nothing but complaints about that new remote their using because it has no backlighting, but the 56TXi's remote had a backlight...and a removeable power cord.

HDMI
HD upscaling
Advanced Mcacc
Sharc processor
Zone 2 remote

Non-detachable power cord
Non-backlit remote
Lighter power supply
Smaller capacitors

I guess you have to balance it out somewhere.

BTW, I know this thread is about the 84TXSi, but has anyone else noticed that the MSRP of the 56TXi is still higher than the 74TXVi?

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
VSX-56TXi

The 56 also seems to go for more on the street in an apples to apples comparison. I bought the 56 when I could have bought a 74 for the same amount. The 74 seemed to me to be a stopgap until the new established line came out. Not knocking them, they are excellent receivers IMHO. I just wanted a step up and was willing to go one generation back to get it. The new 80s seem to me to be the replacement for the lower end. I expect a few higher end models will come next. Given the naming we should see a VSX-86,89*** sometime later this year.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
There's really not much to complain about with the new 84 unit.
Concerns (imo unnecessary concerns based on the outstanding performance of the 74), about weight, power, powercord, remote, etc...
are more than offset by the quality build (74 unit), feature set, ultra quite operation (74 unit), 4 HDMI inputs (84 unit), iLink, advance MCACC, iPod/XM/USB, THX Select 2, etc.........
While my 74 has been an excellent performer, far exceeding my expectations, I've sold it in anticipation of the 84 and it's 4 HDMI inputs!
I think Pioneer has struck, with the 84, a point where the competition has some catching up to do:)

geoh

T

Trev19

Audiophyte
Can you play SACD and DVD-A via HDMI i suppose with the new revisions?

Thanks, Trev

K

kage

Enthusiast
Maybe this receiver might have macroblocking issues with the DCDi Faroudja chip. Too bad this unit does not support HDMI 1.3.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Does anything support HDMI v1.3 yet? I thought they hadn't even finalized the specs yet?

S

Smackrabbit

Enthusiast
The HDMI 1.3 spec is final, but no chips that support it are available yet. A few people are predicting that the first chips to output HDMI 1.3 will be in the Sony PS3, but nothing will be able to decode from it yet. I wouldn't count on anything with HDMI 1.3 showing up until CES next year, at the earliest. The iLink on this is enough for me, though, I'll just try to add a matching Pioneer DVD player to it for audio.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I read HDMI 1.3 was at least 6 months out as far as integration into receivers goes - possibly as late as 1st or 2nd quarter of 2007. That's got to be frustrating if you're in the market for a better AVR with the latest technology.

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Maybe next year

Buckeyefan 1 said:
I read HDMI 1.3 was at least 6 months out as far as integration into receivers goes - possibly as late as 1st or 2nd quarter of 2007. That's got to be frustrating if you're in the market for a better AVR with the latest technology.

Yes it is frustrating. I have a stack of hundreds I want to burn on an AVR and HD/Blu disc player but no one wants to take it. I'm not buying any obsolete equipment(mine already is!) or SD-DVD's right now.

I'm using a 14 year old Kenwood 7030. Only OG pro-logic processing. It claims 100 x 2 but my Polk LSi15's start distorting at 85-90db in a 12 x 14 room. I can fry an egg on it if I play that loud for 5 min. OK for TV not so good for music movies(anything dynamic).

I don't think I'm alone on this site. People have the money in hand. They have the intention to buy. The CE industry just can't get it together.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
ironlung said:
Yes it is frustrating. I have a stack of hundreds I want to burn on an AVR and HD/Blu disc player but no one wants to take it. I'm not buying any obsolete equipment(mine already is!) or SD-DVD's right now.

I'm using a 14 year old Kenwood 7030. Only OG pro-logic processing. It claims 100 x 2 but my Polk LSi15's start distorting at 85-90db in a 12 x 14 room. I can fry an egg on it if I play that loud for 5 min. OK for TV not so good for music movies(anything dynamic).

I don't think I'm alone on this site. People have the money in hand. They have the intention to buy. The CE industry just can't get it together.
Did you see all the Sunday ads today for the Samsung Blu-ray players? $999. Titles for $24.99. They advertised these players with 8 channels of audio. Showed a few family in laws the ad, and they all laughed. One said, "I'd have to really consider spending $1000 on a tv set first, let alone a dvd player."

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Did you see all the Sunday ads today for the Samsung Blu-ray players? $999. Titles for $24.99. They advertised these players with 8 channels of audio. Showed a few family in laws the ad, and they all laughed. One said, "I'd have to really consider spending $1000 on a tv set first, let alone a dvd player."

I qualified by saying this site. I'm sure I am alone in my neighborhood.

I told you guys about my uncle. His 50in plasma and SA HD cable box connected by COAX!!!

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
SACD over HDMI requires HDMI 1.2 at least....it looks like this one doesn't even have that. Then again, how many AVRs do?

For me, the only reason to upgrade from my current 74txvi to this would be the video upconversion (assuming it's done well).

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
krabapple said:
SACD over HDMI requires HDMI 1.2 at least....it looks like this one doesn't even have that. Then again, how many AVRs do?

For me, the only reason to upgrade from my current 74txvi to this would be the video upconversion (assuming it's done well).
Not only does the 84 upconvert to HDMI (which the 74 does already) it will process and scale, up to 1080P I believe.
Another reason to have the 84 over the 74, 4 HDMI inputs versus 2.
Hopefully there's a little more to the 84 versus the 74 but the above would be enough for "me" to justify the purchase.... pending the Audioholics review of course.

geoh

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
from the press release

"Since compressed audio can lose small amounts of data in the compression process, Pioneer’s sound retriever technology fills any of the missing pieces of audio for near CD-quality performance."

what the heck?
:rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis