Pioneer Elite 4 ohm, DT 8 ohm, 94 txh 140 watt

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
So I figured out the problems with the 94txh 140 watt receiver with help from everyone here. Thank you.

I am still looking for speakers that have good imaging and a lively presentation; About a year ago, I listened to the BW702s2 towers at BB, and I was very impressed. Recently, I was considering svs ultra bookshelves as a less expensive alternative, but listening again, I noticed that BW 702s2 floorstander was better in every way over the BW 705s2 bookshelf. And I happened to notice a good deal on the Andrew Jones Pioneer Elite floorstanders, which Steve Guttenberg recommends. I ordered two for less than 500. But they are 4ohm.

Will mixing DT SM45 8ohm with Pioneer Elite 4ohm be ok?

Do I need to adjust any settings on my 94 txh?

I've read about timbre matching. Is it a big deal?

I will be raising the floor standers so they match my ear height while sitting at my desk. Should I tilt them?

Computer, 94txh, DT SM 45, dual PS 505 subs, 1245 cubic foot room, low ceiling, carpet, drywall over lath, no center channel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well there are SVS Ultra towers if you like. Better subs might be in order, too. You want your amp to be able to handle lower impedance, higher impedance is less strain on the amp so if your amp section in the avr does well at 4 ohm, it will have no issue with 8 ohm speakers (and remember speaker impedance is nominal, it changes with frequency....need an impedance vs frequency graph to really see the speakers' range of impedance, an 8 ohm speaker can dip into the 4 range easily). Leave the avr at the higher impedance setting in any case (here's an article as to why https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1). Timbre matching across the front three for seamless panning of sounds from left to right is a good goal, but even mismatched speakers can sound fine.

This is an office system? Always listen at the desk?

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I got'em. They sound good, not quite as good as my buddy's set up, but better than what I had. Receiver isn't cooking, so I think everything's ok. I ordered some SVS Ultra bookshelves. Should be here next week. I'll do I speaker shootout with everything I got and let everyone know what I learn.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I got'em. They sound good, not quite as good as my buddy's set up, but better than what I had. Receiver isn't cooking, so I think everything's ok. I ordered some SVS Ultra bookshelves. Should be here next week. I'll do I speaker shootout with everything I got and let everyone know what I learn.
How are you positioning speakers? Just sitting on corners of the desk? Where is the desk in the room?

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I had the SM45's on my desk, but I put these further back. I measured out an equilateral triangle. I'm going to really work on the positioning once the Ultra bookshelves get here.

The Pioneer EFS73 speakers were beat to hell, but they were 1/2 off on Amazon warehouse.

The upfiring "atmos" speaker on the right tower is dimpled; I haven't tested if it affects sound or not.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I tested every speaker I have in a speaker shootout. I taped the process as well. Ran over three hours. I used a Canon somethingorrather video recorder. Sound quality was terrible, it picked up my voice fine, but all the speaker sounded terrible. I'll cut it up and post some of it eventually.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis