Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Speaker 5.0 Bundle - $290 w/Free ship

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I always assume that any large company like Pioneer is at least covering their (and the distributor's) costs!
I can't imagine they are willing to lose even $1 per unit sold.
At this point it is safe that Pioneer has paid off the R&D cost of developing these speakers (including A. Jones salary). So pricing can be based more on production/distribution costs alone.
So deals like this always beg the question of "just how low can they go?"

I will always view these Pioneer/A. Jones speakers as challenging the debate of how well DIY can compete with the mass production advantages of large scale production afforded a large company like Pioneer.

I think Dennis Murphy's use of this speaker as his base for the original AA's tells the tale. He felt the cabinet and the woofer were a deal (at the volume discount PE gave him) even if he replaced the tweeter and crossover (I don't remember how much of the original crossover he could re-use).
I always wonder if the inability of Dennis to continue getting the Pioneers at a discounted price was specifically targeted at Dennis or not. From a marketing stand-point I'm not sure I would want our "special AA. Jones designed speaker" to have the reputation as a great foundation for a redesigned and better speaker by some "young upstart" out of his basement!

Of course a speaker like the A. Jones Pioneers are about as good as it gets for high volume sales and this was the only product where Dennis took full advantage of another company's ability to get parts at super high quantities!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
That is a nice starter kit!
without question, my sis and bro-inlaw have it in their family room and was pleasantly surprised as to how well it sounded. Don't know if they got the great deal listed here though

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I always assume that any large company like Pioneer is at least covering their (and the distributor's) costs!
I can't imagine they are willing to lose even $1 per unit sold.
At this point it is safe that Pioneer has paid off the R&D cost of developing these speakers (including A. Jones salary). So pricing can be based more on production/distribution costs alone.
So deals like this always beg the question of "just how low can they go?"

I will always view these Pioneer/A. Jones speakers as challenging the debate of how well DIY can compete with the mass production advantages of large scale production afforded a large company like Pioneer.

I think Dennis Murphy's use of this speaker as his base for the original AA's tells the tale. He felt the cabinet and the woofer were a deal (at the volume discount PE gave him) even if he replaced the tweeter and crossover (I don't remember how much of the original crossover he could re-use).
I always wonder if the inability of Dennis to continue getting the Pioneers at a discounted price was specifically targeted at Dennis or not. From a marketing stand-point I'm not sure I would want our "special AA. Jones designed speaker" to have the reputation as a great foundation for a redesigned and better speaker by some "young upstart" out of his basement!

Of course a speaker like the A. Jones Pioneers are about as good as it gets for high volume sales and this was the only product where Dennis took full advantage of another company's ability to get parts at super high quantities!
If Pio makes a $, even selling to Dennis, I have a hard time thinking that they were worried about what he was doing with them. It was a win/win as far as I can see.

I've seen some info from AJ talking about these Pios, and how when you are designing on the low budget end, they even had to go so far as designing the boxes and packaging to allow for the optimum packing to completely and efficiently fill up a storage container that goes on the boat from China!

I agree, I'm sure Pio is quite profitable from this endeavor, and at this point every extra $ is just icing on the cake. They were very wise on how they spent their $ on this one!

I am a long-time Pio fan, but not so much for AVRs now that they are just the same as Onkyo. They still have a large market in the pro DJ realm.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
That is nice and cheap starter set indeed!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis