Piano players/singers.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Musicians like Donald Fagan, Jackson Brown, Joe Jackson...who else is out there from the late 70's or early 80's?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Joe Sample, Warren Bernhardt, Dave Grusin, Billy Joel. Though the only one of this bunch that sings is Billy, the others are execellent musicians.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Billy Joel?
No not the Christie Brinkley era stuff.
Check out "Songs in the Attic". His older music was pretty good.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Billy Joel?
No not the Christie Brinkley era stuff.
Check out "Songs in the Attic". His older music was pretty good.
Right, before he got mushed brains over Christie.:D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Joe Sample, Warren Bernhardt, Dave Grusin, Billy Joel. Though the only one of this bunch that sings is Billy, the others are execellent musicians.
I've got some Dave Grusin and BJ. I'll have to get some Joe Sample. I just sampled some (pun NOT intended) and like it.

I'll be honest. I'm trying to pick your brains to find a song I heard on the radio. The station never says who the artist is, doesn't have playlists on their website and I was busy at work when I heard it and can't remember any lyrics to search. It was just an electric piano and a male singer, kind of upbeat yet simple, very much of the style and era of Steely Dan's heyday. I keep listening to that radio station night and day to get some lyrics to search, but they haven't played again. It's driving me crazy. I really liked that song.

I'm willing to put the effort into searching, listening to samples, etc to find it, but I'm out of ideas of "who" to search for.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I can't say I'm a fan of his, but, Micheal Buble? (spelling?)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've got some Dave Grusin and BJ. I'll have to get some Joe Sample. I just sampled some (pun NOT intended) and like it.

I'll be honest. I'm trying to pick your brains to find a song I heard on the radio. The station never says who the artist is, doesn't have playlists on their website and I was busy at work when I heard it and can't remember any lyrics to search. It was just an electric piano and a male singer, kind of upbeat yet simple, very much of the style and era of Steely Dan's heyday. I keep listening to that radio station night and day to get some lyrics to search, but they haven't played again. It's driving me crazy. I really liked that song.

I'm willing to put the effort into searching, listening to samples, etc to find it, but I'm out of ideas of "who" to search for.
Harry Connick Jr., Diana Krall, Ramsey Lewis is a must have, if you can give more specifics on the song you're looking for I might be able to help.:)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Harry Connick Jr., Diana Krall, Ramsey Lewis is a must have, if you can give more specifics on the song you're looking for I might be able to help.:)

Also if you can find anything by Michael Omartian get it, he's an awesome pianist.

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
Keith Jarrett " Koln Concert " and " Bremen and Lausanne", Malcolm Frager " Chopin " ,Joe Sample " Carmel ",just few of my favorites

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
One of my favorite pianists from that era is George Winston. A bit mellow for some tastes, but man he can play. More recently, Tori Amos is pretty amazing on both piano and voice.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Dave,

I almost forgot but as Race pointed out, Joe Sample's Carmel is a must have, but imo his best is a collection of standards called Invitation it really shows his virtuosity.

NYyankeeboi

NYyankeeboi

Junior Audioholic
Diana Krall, Dinah Washington, Sarah McLaughlin, Stevie Nicks, Elton John, Tori Amos, Martha Wash, Eartha Kitt, Eva Cassidy, Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, Mariah Carey, Chistina Branco, Ella Fitzgerald, Fiona Apple, Bjork, Rufus Wainwright, Seal, Moby, Natalie Cole, Oleta Adams, Anita Baker....and of course Madonna...dang...my list of faves is endless...

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Diana Krall, Dinah Washington, Sarah McLaughlin, Stevie Nicks, Elton John, Tori Amos, Martha Wash, Eartha Kitt, Eva Cassidy, Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, Mariah Carey, Chistina Branco, Ella Fitzgerald, Fiona Apple, Bjork, Rufus Wainwright, Seal, Moby, Natalie Cole, Oleta Adams, Anita Baker....and of course Madonna...dang...my list of faves is endless...
I think Dave was looking for pianists that also sang. :)

NYyankeeboi

NYyankeeboi

Junior Audioholic
Yea, I realize that now... I got carried away, it's been one of those nights/mornings...lol

I'll leave it at Ray Charles then :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I've also ruled out Elton John. I've got almost everything he's ever done. I just watched the Elton 60 DVD. The concert was good, but I really liked the 70's vintage video clips.

Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles are also ruled out. I have a lot of their music as well.

As for that song, it's more like an upbeat, pop ballad from the 70's if that makes any sense. It opens with just a simple tune in the upper piano octaves. It's an electric piano that sounds almost like a portable piano you'd get for a kid. Then the guys starts singing and it's just him and the piano the rest of the song. The voice seems very familiar, as if he sang for a popular band then went on his own. That's why I originally thought of Donald Fagan. It's not Micheal McDonald either, but in that vein. I know when I find it, I'm going to have a "DOH" moment. I have a feeling it's going to be a very popular singer/musician from the 70's. It's almost like it's on the tip of my tongue but I have a mental block and as soon as I hear the name, I'll know immediately. I've got to check Loggins/Messina, too.

Thanks for any help. It's driving me nuts. The station didn't play it last night either.

NYyankeeboi

NYyankeeboi

Junior Audioholic
Yea, nobody mentioned Elton John, I was beginning to think this was a homophobic thread...lmao :p

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've also ruled out Elton John. I've got almost everything he's ever done. I just watched the Elton 60 DVD. The concert was good, but I really liked the 70's vintage video clips.

Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles are also ruled out. I have a lot of their music as well.

As for that song, it's more like an upbeat, pop ballad from the 70's if that makes any sense. It opens with just a simple tune in the upper piano octaves. It's an electric piano that sounds almost like a portable piano you'd get for a kid. Then the guys starts singing and it's just him and the piano the rest of the song. The voice seems very familiar, as if he sang for a popular band then went on his own. That's why I originally thought of Donald Fagan. It's not Micheal McDonald either, but in that vein. I know when I find it, I'm going to have a "DOH" moment. I have a feeling it's going to be a very popular singer/musician from the 70's. It's almost like it's on the tip of my tongue but I have a mental block and as soon as I hear the name, I'll know immediately. I've got to check Loggins/Messina, too.

Thanks for any help. It's driving me nuts. The station didn't play it last night either.
Could it be Andrew Gold (thank you for being my friend and Lonely Boy)?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Could it be Andrew Gold (thank you for being my friend and Lonely Boy)?
I'll check. As to genre, think Looking Glass, America, Bread, etc. Kind of the same feel as the some Brandy, but just piano/vocals.

PRIZE ALERT

This is driving me so crazy and I'm sampling so many songs, I will offer a copy of AIX Records "A High Resolution Audio Experience", written and produced by Mark Waldrep to whoever finds it or leads me to this unholy song. If nobody actually gets the song, I will still send this to whomever came closest/was most helpful.* This is a sealed copy from the gift bags at the State of the CE Union event in Orlando, likely to be difficult to find elsewhere.

*purely subjective opinion based criteria

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis