Spitz

Spitz

Audiophyte
Good day

I have a Denon receiver with no Phono input
I've purchased a pre amp and have hooked the record player to it and output to the CD input of receiver.

It does work, but I have no signal going to the sub woofer.
If I unhook just the L or R from the receiver, the sub gets a signal.....but obviously that's not what I want.
I also tried using the DVD input of the amp

What may be causing this?

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good day

I have a Denon receiver with no Phono input
I've purchased a pre amp and have hooked the record player to it and output to the CD input of receiver.

It does work, but I have no signal going to the sub woofer.
If I unhook just the L or R from the receiver, the sub gets a signal.....but obviously that's not what I want.
I also tried using the DVD input of the amp

What may be causing this?

Thanks
It looks as if you have your receiver set to only output the LFE signal and not cross between speakers and sub. You need to revist the speaker set up menu.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Without knowing your setup or sound modes you're using, hard to know....but like TLSguy I'd guess the solution is in the speaker/bass management settings....

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Setting the front L/R speakers to Small should force output from the subwoofer...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Spitz

Spitz

Audiophyte
Sorry for the delay.
I had written a response a couple of days ago with model # and set-up....I have no idea why it is not showing here.
I'm not at home so can't get the model ....about 5 yrs old now. possibly AVR-1912
I'm using small Polk audio speakers with a Polk sub.
I have tried moving the rca cable from the LFE to the R on the sub with no joy

Also....I did go into settings and speaker set-up is for small speakers, LFE+main

Last edited:
Spitz

Spitz

Audiophyte
I’ve tried all sound modes
I’m using LFE + main because I don’t know what I’m doing basically.
What should I be using
Do I need to connect the sub to amp using the individual speaker wires?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve tried all sound modes
I’m using LFE + main because I don’t know what I’m doing basically.
What should I be using
Do I need to connect the sub to amp using the individual speaker wires?
Can you be specific about what you mean by sound mode? I mean Stereo, Direct, Pure Direct, etc.

Is it for sure the Denon 1912? LFE+Main is somewhat a double bass thing.

Spitz

Spitz

Audiophyte
Yes...confirmed...AVR-1912

It was originaly set in LFE
I've tried stereo , Dolby prologic, etc...all available modes
Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. What crossover on the L/R speakers (and confirm they're set to small) are you using? What record(s) are you using for test material? What inputs and types of connection are in use when the sub works? Is the input assignment, for the CD and DVD inputs you've tried, set for analog input?

The manual indicates stereo mode should include the sub. When you see the settings LFE or LFE+Main, can you make changes to the setting? (looking at page 84 it indicates that the setting of sub on/off, page 77, must be set to on to make this selection).

You might try a reset, too (soft reset by unplugging it for a while I'd try first, then microprocessor/system reset but you'll lose saved settings with the microprocessor/system reset).

Spitz

Spitz

Audiophyte
Thank you for this.
I'll have to see if I can find the manual
When I see LFE and LFE+main I can just select between the two, I don't believe there are other settings. ( should it just be in LFE? )
Apologies for the vague responses.....I'm not as audio literate as most on here

I'm using a Queen album as test
I will have a look at the menus when home to see if the input is set to analogue

Another person mentioned ground..... I have the turntable grounded to the Pre-amp unit, but not from the unit to the amp....could this be a factor?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for this.
I'll have to see if I can find the manual
When I see LFE and LFE+main I can just select between the two, I don't believe there are other settings. ( should it just be in LFE? )
Apologies for the vague responses.....I'm not as audio literate as most on here

I'm using a Queen album as test

Another person mentioned ground..... I have the turntable grounded to the Pre-amp unit, but not from the unit to the amp....could this be a factor?
I'd just use LFE, but it's a preference thing. No worries, it takes a while to learn all the functions of an avr. Sometimes with older Denon manuals you needed the batpig Denon to English dictionary, too (seemingly defunct now) :) I just downloaded the manual from here https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avr1912

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis