Philharmonic Audio BMR Philharmonitor Bookshelf Speaker Review

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Spartan
As to the sloping baffle: For me it's not about improving measurements (which indeed are superb),but simply that the only possible placement for the speakers are somewhat too low, below two windows, so I would like them tilted slightly upwards so they'll point at my ears at my listening position. But might not be a good idea.
I just read your reason for tilting the front baffle. Why not build the cabinets as designed, and try tilting them back a bit with wedges, such as rubber door stops, to see if that suits your needs?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks! Good to hear.

Concerning actives: This is a long-standing debate in the audiophile community of course... I'm in the camp which thinks that all things being equal (which they often aren't),active crossovers are the better choice. Does't work if the crossover settings need to be reworked though.

As to the sloping baffle: For me it's not about improving measurements (which indeed are superb),but simply that the only possible placement for the speakers are somewhat too low, below two windows, so I would like them tilted slightly upwards so they'll point at my ears at my listening position. But might not be a good idea.
I don't disagree about active crossovers, just not in this application of a proven design with passive. I'd start with a fresh design or a diy with them already.

O

oivavoi

Audiophyte
I just read your reason for tilting the front baffle. Why not build the cabinets as designed, and try tilting them back a bit with wedges, such as rubber door stops, to see if that suits your needs?
Yap. Might be the easier route! Particularly if the cabinets also come up for sale, so I won't have to go through the hassle of building them.

D

D Murphy

Junior Audioholic
Thanks! Good to hear.

Concerning actives: This is a long-standing debate in the audiophile community of course... I'm in the camp which thinks that all things being equal (which they often aren't),active crossovers are the better choice. Does't work if the crossover settings need to be reworked though
I don't think there's any question that active crossovers are superior to passives in many respects. The only real downside is the need to go with the amps that are supplied with the speakers, and the cost of repair or replacement if the electronics go South. In the case of the BMR's, the individual drivers are well enough behaved that it's possible to achieve a virtually flat response without the fine tuning that an active circuit could provide. And if you did try to implement an active version, you would have to hit the exact slopes I designed for in the passive version. That could prove very difficult unless you've had a lot of information and experience. I wouldn't worry about tilting the BMR's back a little given your placement constraints. You would probably gain more than you would lose. I'm calling my cabinet builder in about an hour to see if I can't nail down the final details and timing for the finished cabinets.

O

oivavoi

Audiophyte
I don't think there's any question that active crossovers are superior to passives in many respects. The only real downside is the need to go with the amps that are supplied with the speakers, and the cost of repair or replacement if the electronics go South. In the case of the BMR's, the individual drivers are well enough behaved that it's possible to achieve a virtually flat response without the fine tuning that an active circuit could provide. And if you did try to implement an active version, you would have to hit the exact slopes I designed for in the passive version. That could prove very difficult unless you've had a lot of information and experience. I wouldn't worry about tilting the BMR's back a little given your placement constraints. You would probably gain more than you would lose. I'm calling my cabinet builder in about an hour to see if I can't nail down the final details and timing for the finished cabinets.
Thanks so much for your response, Dennis! (if I may). Very much appreciated!

D

D Murphy

Junior Audioholic
Just an update on cabinets for the BMR kit. I've lined up a supplier for flat packs and finished cabinets. The flat packs will be $300/pr and made out of Baltic Birch. The shop will also build assembled speakers from the flat packs and stain and finish them to customer preference, so that's a big plus. And they will ship within a month of the order. I just have to iron out a few minor cabinet details, like how much they will cost. I should have the final specs in a couple of days.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Ninja
Just an update on cabinets for the BMR kit. I've lined up a supplier for flat packs and finished cabinets. The flat packs will be $300/pr and made out of Baltic Birch. The shop will also build assembled speakers from the flat packs and stain and finish them to customer preference, so that's a big plus. And they will ship within a month of the order. I just have to iron out a few minor cabinet details, like how much they will cost. I should have the final specs in a couple of days.
Very exciting news, Dennis!!!

D

D Murphy

Junior Audioholic
Available in piano black as well?
I'm not sure piano black would look very good on baltic birch. However, automotive paint will be an option, and maybe that would work. It's expensive, though.

Last edited:
O

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic Chief
Thanks. I guess $2395 is worth it if you want a beautiful black satin finish.

O

oivavoi

Audiophyte
This is really exciting, indeed!

Any chance of teaming up with European vendors for selling kits as well? But I guess that it's easier to ship flat packs and packages of drivers etc than finished speakers in any case.

D

D Murphy

Junior Audioholic
This is really exciting, indeed!

Any chance of teaming up with European vendors for selling kits as well? But I guess that it's easier to ship flat packs and packages of drivers etc than finished speakers in any case.
Given what a hassle arranging for a domestic kit has proven to be, I wouldn't want to take on an international network. However, my business partner on the piano black Chinese BMR's will be offering the same exact speaker at the same exact price in Taiwan. Pre-orders for the first run have already exhausted the supply.

Latest posts

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis