Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And complete, obviously...
Got fooled by the full set of speaker grills didn't you?:D

Those are a little extra BTW, but well worth the small cost IMO.

Notice I even got custom grills for the TL bass ports?:eek::D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I can never get an accurate picture of the Salon2 & KEF 201/2 either; must be that reddish piano high-gloss.:D

I often run my fingers across the cabinets of the Salon2 & 201/2. I can see myself doing the same with the Phil3.:D
Well, in case anyone doubts the cabinets are in my living room, just note the soldering iron burn in the carpet. Doh.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Well, in case anyone doubts the cabinets are in my living room, just note the soldering iron burn in the carpet. Doh.
shame but at least you didn't burn your hardwood floor.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Got fooled by the full set of speaker grills didn't you?:D

Those are a little extra BTW, but well worth the small cost IMO.

Notice I even got custom grills for the TL bass ports?:eek::D
Actually, the few times I saw them, I didn't notice the placement of the Phil3 grills, as I was more interested in what I was hearing at that time.

Since the 3s grills are Del's work, he obviously would do them differently or is more than willing to do custom work and do it well. They look very nice and I do like the port grill.

May I suggest, and maybe you do, when your post your pics try some without flash on your camera or phone. I do not use a camera flash when it comes reflective surfaces or woodgrains. Instead using natural/extra light in a room creates a very nice reproduction of a subject. You might already do this. I would love to see the true finish and color of those as they are just stunning from Dennis' pics. Lacking professional skills in photography, take my suggestions for what they would be worth.;)

I did not think I would care too much for piano gloss, but is really is beautiful on my Monitors as well.

Can't wait for your impressions, so get cracking buddy, when you get them!!!:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dennis has been working on my Phil3.

The new production run of Neo8 midranges measure a little differently than the old ones.

Dennis says the new Neo8 actually measures better. Sweet. :D

So he redid the crossover using the new drivers to optimize for the new mids, and in the process raised the impedance a little and improved off-axis response at extreme angles.

The Phil3 is now a 5 ohm speaker, which should make it an even easier load.

Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
What material is used to isolate the mid & tweeter cabinet from the midbass cabinet?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
What material is used to isolate the mid & tweeter cabinet from the midbass cabinet?
I've been using BlackHole 5, which works, but the top cabinet tilts very slightly forward because of the front-weight of the drivers (the RAAL in particular). Starting with AcuDef's shiny red cabinets, I've switched to large sorbothane feet that sit on the recessed portion of the bottom cabinet, and aren't visible. You still just see a thin reveal between the top and bottom cabinets.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been using BlackHole 5, which works, but the top cabinet tilts very slightly forward because of the front-weight of the drivers (the RAAL in particular). Starting with AcuDef's shiny red cabinets, I've switched to large sorbothane feet that sit on the recessed portion of the bottom cabinet, and aren't visible. You still just see a thin reveal between the top and bottom cabinets.
Do they look like these:

R

ridikas

Banned
Put two of those rubber cups under the back part of the monitor and a SINGLE hard cone under the front. Right underneath the drivers. Use something with a rather dull point as to not damage the top of the woofer's cabinet. Tenderfeet make a nice dull shallow aluminum cone, Golden Sound make nice ceramic cones, or there are hundreds of cheap options on eBay. It must be a hard point.

And... Watch the magic happen!!! It will completely transform the speaker :) Creating a single hard vibration ground point, makes the speaker sound more open, clear, focused, etc. There's real science behind mechanical grounding and not just some pseudo nonsense.

Try it :)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Dennis, be careful with Sorbothane.

I have used isolation Sorbothane dots like those pictured, and apparently, they contain a minute amount of moisture. After months of having them between the speakers and stand, I removed them, and the moisture seemed to have damage the veneer on the speaker.

I don't know if all sorbothane is alike, or if something else was the problem, but I stopped using them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dennis, be careful with Sorbothane.

I have used isolation Sorbothane dots like those pictured, and apparently, they contain a minute amount of moisture. After months of having them between the speakers and stand, I removed them, and the moisture seemed to have damage the veneer on the speaker.

I don't know if all sorbothane is alike, or if something else was the problem, but I stopped using them.
Do you use rubber feet now, instead of sorbothane?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorbothane

This is a quote from the Sorbothane website:

"Sorbothane® is recognized worldwide as the ultimate material for attenuating shock, isolating vibration and damping noise. No synthetic rubber or polymer can dissipate energy as effectively. Sorbothane® is a highly damped, visco-elastic polymeric solid that flows like a liquid under load. Since its introduction in 1982, Sorbothane® has been used in many energy absorbing product applications. Our engineers partnered with NASA to design a unique Sorbothane® isolator that protects the vital shuttle cameras during launch. Curators from the National Park Service and the Philadelphia Museum of Art placed their complete trust and confidence in a specially designed Sorbothane® isolation system that protected the historic Liberty Bell, from further damage, as it was successfully transported 935 feet to its new home. When Wilson Sporting Goods needed a superior shock absorbing pad, for their new professional series of baseball gloves, they turned to Sorbothane®. The 270 feet high Air Force Memorial could not have been successfully constructed without Sorbothane® dampers helping to displace wind energy and prevent destructive oscillation of the distinctive stainless steel spires."

http://www.sorbothane.com/blog/dr-hiles-with-kenny-long-demo/

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Do you use rubber feet now, instead of sorbothane?
Yes...some stuff that I found on the internet somewhere. I have also used cork pads.

I love the Sorbothane stuff though. I just won't use it on anything that might absorb moisture.

I first used it in college. I was on the tennis team, and the beginning of every season with conditioning drills, I would get shin splints. It would last a week or so, but painful. The athletic trainer suggested I try something that was "new"...a footbed liner that used Sorbothane. Outstanding!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder...those big industrial size sorbothane feet w/ the ridge are 1.5" high, 2" diameter.

Is that too tall the Philharmonic?:D

They look really cool and "bad-a$$".:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis