H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
This looks like it could be perfect if it's stable for a 65 inch TV (and it seems to be).
I have a 75 inch on it and it's as sturdy and can be. Very nice piece. I searched high an low for the perfect stand so I could fit my center.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
This looks like it could be perfect if it's stable for a 65 inch TV (and it seems to be).
To lessen the risk of the TV tipping I would fasten a line from each leg into the wall, especially if you have children.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Never had an issue with stability and I have a rambunctious 7 year old son.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Good solutions offered but I am curious to the original question... Is there any real industry accepted "rules of thumb" on when to and not to use a phantom center.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Good solutions offered but I am curious to the original question... Is there any real industry accepted "rules of thumb" on when to and not to use a phantom center.
A phantom center is nothing more than good old-fashioned stereo center imaging. There are few instances where a real center speaker wouldn't actually be superior (providing it is well-engineered). When should you use a phantom center? When you can fit in a center speaker or just can't afford a good center speaker. That is pretty much it.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
A phantom center is nothing more than good old-fashioned stereo center imaging. There are few instances where a real center speaker wouldn't actually be superior (providing it is well-engineered). When should you use a phantom center? When you can fit in a center speaker or just can't afford a good center speaker. That is pretty much it.
That's how I have always approached it. I was just curious because you know someone has probably wrote a research paper on it. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's preference, not reference to an extent, but industry rules?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That's how I have always approached it. I was just curious because you know someone has probably wrote a research paper on it. ;)
All the research has already been done for decades now since it is just talking about stereo imaging. All that is happening is that the right and left speakers and being given the center channel signal. As you know the same signal from both speakers will appear to come from in between them to someone with equal listening distance from the speakers.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I use Echogear TV feet to lift my 75R635 up so my center would fit underneath. Worked out excellent, is very sturdy and was inexpensive.

Thank you for this. I ordered it and we'll see how it works out. I still haven't decided if I am going to upgrade to an OLED yet, but this should work with both my current set as well as a new one.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for this. I ordered it and we'll see how it works out. I still haven't decided if I am going to upgrade to an OLED yet, but this should work with both my current set as well as a new one.
Awesome, let us know how it works out. Its cheap enough, 39.99 right? Good deal I think.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Awesome, let us know how it works out. Its cheap enough, 39.99 right? Good deal I think.

Yes. Very reasonable. And I got it through Amazon with free return if it doesn't work out for some reason. Can't beat that.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yes. Very reasonable. And I got it through Amazon with free return if it doesn't work out for some reason. Can't beat that.
Yeah I believe I bought my through Amazon as well. Pretty sure, wait definitely did.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
This time I'm going to wall mount my TV and one nice thing is that now there will be space for a stand mount as a center speaker. I've asked my speaker seller if they would sell a single stand mount instead of in pairs.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
This time I'm going to wall mount my TV and one nice thing is that now there will be space for a stand mount as a center speaker. I've asked my speaker seller if they would sell a single stand mount instead of in pairs.
That was my original thought. Depending on if/when I upgrade, I may eventually try to do the wall mount thing. That's certainly the cleanest. But I don't plan to stay in my current house long term (although I've been saying that for years. lol) so I was thinking of something a little less permanent.

Also if I go with a 65 inch there are potential issues with positioning on the wall given the light switch and location of the stand/center channel. Still trying to think that part out.

When wall mounting how much space is usually left between the wall and the TV (assuming you don't have one of those new TVs that can be hung like a picture flat on the wall)?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That was my original thought. Depending on if/when I upgrade, I may eventually try to do the wall mount thing. That's certainly the cleanest. But I don't plan to stay in my current house long term (although I've been saying that for years. lol) so I was thinking of something a little less permanent.

Also if I go with a 65 inch there are potential issues with positioning on the wall given the light switch and location of the stand/center channel. Still trying to think that part out.

When wall mounting how much space is usually left between the wall and the TV (assuming you don't have one of those new TVs that can be hung like a picture flat on the wall)?
I bought a wall mount that is very flexible with respect to installation, but that one is fairly expensive (at least in EU) compared to simple wall mounts.

My wall mount is an OmniMount OC120FM with minimum distance from wall about 3.8 inches.

You can download manual and sales sheet from : https://www.omnimount.com/

In the youtube below there are some complaints about installation but that seems to be more the case that some people are unable to read instructions and follow them. Is this what is called "functionally illiterate"?

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
I use a phantom center with my living room TV.

Sounds excellent for me in my main seat which is right in the sweet spot.

At this point I greatly prefer a phantom center versus a speaker unless the speaker can be placed in the same plane as the left and right, and is of the same make and model (and thus quality) and works well on axis.*

But what about your wife, you say? Well, she hasn't noticed or complained at all. She sits a little off to one side and is perfectly happy with the sound, where dialog comes from, and the clarity. I mean, I'm not the first person to note that I am the only one in the household that nitpicks this stuff.

---

Bu all this is moot.

The OP is in a perfect situation to decide for himself.

Before changing anything else (new TV, new stand, etc) just go into your AVR, turn off the center speaker in the setup menu, re-run your auto setup and EQ program, for completeness sake......and live with it for a week.

See how your ears like it. See how the rest of the household likes it.

You may be surprised how well it works and how little downside there is.

----

(*this one is a big one that few people mentioned to me when I was experimenting. a center speaker is always "on axis". so if you don't toe in your left and right to be on axis, it can be a little tonally off. and if you don't toe in your left and right because you don't like the direct on axis sound, that may be an issue with the center even when it otherwise is just a third copy of the same speakers.)

T

TechToys2

Audioholic

Got the stand this week and set it up today. Looks great and did the trick nicely. My wife s happy too. Thanks a million for the suggestion.

Now I just have to decide if I want to get that 65 inch OLED and transfer the legs over. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis