Perlisten World’s First THX Dominus In-Wall Speakers We Measured Them!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
R5i.jpg
It’s hard to believe that just two years ago, we’d never even heard of Perlisten Audio. It’s fair to say that the company has taken the world of high-end audio by storm. I can’t think of any competitor that has achieved so much so quickly after its initial product launch. And while some new loudspeaker companies come to market with a single design, Perlisten burst through the gates with a whole line of speakers and subwoofers that compared favorably with the best of the best. Perlisten’s speakers and subs have earned the highest respect from the two-channel Hi-Fi crowd and from the high-performance home theater crowd. The next step, it would seem, is the world of custom-installed home theater and discreet in-wall audio. At CEDIA 2022, Perlisten showed off not one, but two lines of in-wall speakers, mirroring its S-Series and R-Series of freestanding speakers. The new S-Series and R-Series in-wall speakers utilize the same advanced technologies as their in-room counterparts, promising perfect timbre-matching across the whole Perlisten product line. Read our in-depth preview to find out more about Perlisten's Signature and Reference series in-wall speakers...

READ: Perlisten Debuts World's First THX Dominus In-Wall Speakers

Last edited by a moderator:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It’s hard to believe that just two years ago, we’d never even heard of Perlisten Audio. It’s fair to say that the company has taken the world of high-end audio by storm. I can’t think of any competitor that has achieved so much so quickly after its initial product launch. And while some new loudspeaker companies come to market with a single design, Perlisten burst through the gates with a whole line of speakers and subwoofers that compared favorably with the best of the best. Perlisten’s speakers and subs have earned the highest respect from the two-channel Hi-Fi crowd and from the high-performance home theater crowd. The next step, it would seem, is the world of custom-installed home theater and discreet in-wall audio. At CEDIA 2022, Perlisten showed off not one, but two lines of in-wall speakers, mirroring its S-Series and R-Series of freestanding speakers. The new S-Series and R-Series in-wall speakers utilize the same advanced technologies as their in-room counterparts, promising perfect timbre-matching across the whole Perlisten product line. Read our in-depth preview to find out more about Perlisten's Signature and Reference series in-wall speakers...

READ: Perlisten Debuts World's First THX Dominus In-Wall Speakers
That was a clever idea to use a notch filter to deal with the bass ripple of the undersized box.

I find that modelling programs tend to underestimate the bass ripple of sealed enclosures. Since I have a good in wall sub with the driver right under the center speaker, I have dealt with mine by raising the crossover to the sub. That worked perfectly as in my case the ripple was from 50 to 100 Hz. Although I did not use undersized boxes, but sealed enclosures are so prone to that ripple. My theater surrounds have ripple as well, giving some warmth.

That was a good dodge dealing with a notch filter.

X

XaVierDK

Enthusiast
That was a clever idea to use a notch filter to deal with the bass ripple of the undersized box.

I find that modelling programs tend to underestimate the bass ripple of sealed enclosures. Since I have a good in wall sub with the driver right under the center speaker, I have dealt with mine by raising the crossover to the sub. That worked perfectly as in my case the ripple was from 50 to 100 Hz. Although I did not use undersized boxes, but sealed enclosures are so prone to that ripple. My theater surrounds have ripple as well, giving some warmth.

That was a good dodge dealing with a notch filter.
THat's been my experience with measuring my DIY subs compared to the modelling software as well, specifically WinISD; the peak at Fsc is more pronounced than is modelled, though not too much. I just fix it with DIRAC instead of trying to work around it, as the peak is right around 45 Hz, but it's not much of a problem when considering the bass rise needed for a house curve as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
THat's been my experience with measuring my DIY subs compared to the modelling software as well, specifically WinISD; the peak at Fsc is more pronounced than is modelled, though not too much. I just fix it with DIRAC instead of trying to work around it, as the peak is right around 45 Hz, but it's not much of a problem when considering the bass rise needed for a house curve as well.
It really gives the lie though, to that myth that sealed subs are "more musical" than ported ones. Putting a driver in a sealed box does not make the reproduction non resonant! It saves space at the expense of efficiency and consumes a lot more power.

G

glock339

Enthusiast
Can anyone clear up something regarding the R series & the Dominus cert please as Perlisten's website isn't great for detailed info on the subject & I can't seem to find very much online apart from a couple of articles on audioholics that just mentions in passing that the R series only meets Dominus as surrounds & Ultra as LCRs.

However on a video featuring Matt Pose & James, Matt specifically goes through how the designers made the the in-walls Dominus as an LCR & them being a "cheap" way to get the cert. So just wondering if the R5i meet Dominus as an LCR?

I know it doesn't really matter but this is the sort of autistic stuff I find myself wondering about :p

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
However on a video featuring Matt Pose & James, Matt specifically goes through how the designers made the R5i meet Dominus as an LCR
…the R5i is THX Dominus as surround and THX Ultra as LCR…

So for LCR, the R5i is THX Ultra certified.

“The S5i is THX Dominus LCR certified”

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis