Perlisten S7t Tower Speaker Review

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
PXL_20220215_183956591.jpg

Ignore the room, we're remodeling.

That out of the way, I thought an update was in order.

Yes, the things you've heard about these speakers are true. This is an older pic, I played with placement and tilt and got these speakers playing nice with the room. Wow! The thing that is most striking is how easily these speakers get out of the way of the music. You don't listen to them, only what's playing.

The Denon PMA-110 has no trouble at all driving these IN MY SPACE. At just under 50% on the volume knob dynamic music easily sees 110 db peaks at my listening position. The notable part about this is the absolute lack of audible distortion easily leads you to volumes you shouldn't be listening at for your ears sake.

They play plenty low in my room to forgo a sub for music, you will miss the sheer power and energy great subs can add to the lfe track though. I don't miss it with content I hadn't seen/heard before, but it is very noticeable with content I'm familiar with. My reference is with a pair of SVS PB-13 Ultras.

Super pleased with the S7r's!!

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I don't think anyone is critiquing the room when the speakers and the equipment rack look that gorgeous.
I think he meant to ignore the room because it is going to be changing changing quite a bit with the remodel. I agree, the room looks stunningly good

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
wow, this is WAY COOL :cool:
CONGRATS!

My experience is that when you get that top notch gear and distortion way low it's easy to play much louder than what you othereise could.... it is so clean so that there is nothing disturbing, very easy to turn volume knob much more up

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I will-

WHERE ARE THE CABLE STANDS????????????????????????????

Carry on, Montesque.
Ha!

There are drink coasters under the front feet of the speakers at the moment. Does that count? LOL

No unobtanium, cryogen treated ultracarbon-neotryusium-gold cables? :eek:
I felt like the metallurgical interactions with the copper veiled the midrange a touch to much. lolol

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
jokes aside, I think the setup is stunning .... the real proof of the pudding is when you forget about time and place, can´t stop listening to music and half the night goes with ..... just one more record .....

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I really enjoy the tonality of these speakers. No speaker fatigue, ever. My system is Dirac Live (MiniMac) => Okto DAC8 PRO => Benchmark AHB2 => Perlisten S7T. The Okto has a custom 9.6V out to match Benchmark. I mostly listen to classical music and the volume is -36 to -30 (-99 to 0 scale)
One of the speakers is in a corner and the other is at the wall (but not corner) in an open floor area.
These speakers sound great even without correction. With Dirac they sound better imo. Here are my Dirac measurements:

1673131445469.png

Note the speaker in the corner (left) has more bass output. The target is the default one chosen by Dirac after measurements.

Last edited:
Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I really enjoy the tonality of these speakers. No speaker fatigue, ever. My system is Dirac Live (MiniMac) => Okto DAC8 PRO => Benchmark AHB2 => Perlisten S7T. The Okto has a custom 9.6V out to match Benchmark. I mostly listen to classical music and the volume is -36 to -30 (-99 to 0 scale)
One of the speakers is in a corner and the other is at the wall (but not corner) in an open floor area.
These speakers sound great even without correction. With Dirac they sound better imo. Here are my Dirac measurements:

View attachment 59443

Note the speaker in the corner (left) has more bass output. The target is the default one chosen by Dirac after measurements.
Looks great and great feedback.

How many measurement points were used in this measurement? What is the measurement mic used and did you use a correction file? I am a little puzzled by the rise in HF's I see there. I've seen that in a few other measurements, but never in my own and have been trying to figure out where its coming from.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
View attachment 55070
Ignore the room, we're remodeling.

That out of the way, I thought an update was in order.

Yes, the things you've heard about these speakers are true. This is an older pic, I played with placement and tilt and got these speakers playing nice with the room. Wow! The thing that is most striking is how easily these speakers get out of the way of the music. You don't listen to them, only what's playing.

The Denon PMA-110 has no trouble at all driving these IN MY SPACE. At just under 50% on the volume knob dynamic music easily sees 110 db peaks at my listening position. The notable part about this is the absolute lack of audible distortion easily leads you to volumes you shouldn't be listening at for your ears sake.

They play plenty low in my room to forgo a sub for music, you will miss the sheer power and energy great subs can add to the lfe track though. I don't miss it with content I hadn't seen/heard before, but it is very noticeable with content I'm familiar with. My reference is with a pair of SVS PB-13 Ultras.

Super pleased with the S7r's!!
Gorgeous pic! Can we use this on our social media? We can give you credit of course.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic

How many measurement points were used in this measurement? What is the measurement mic used and did you use a correction file? I am a little puzzled by the rise in HF's I see there. I've seen that in a few other measurements, but never in my own and have been trying to figure out where its coming from.
I used the "focused" measurements setting. It has 13 measurements. The microphone is a miniDSP UMIK2 corrected with factory file. BTW, Erin's Corner has a measurement showing a similar HF bump: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/perlisten_s4b/ . Granted the measurement I mention is for S4B model not S7T but the mid / high assembly is the same.
The grills are on when I measure (and listen).

Last edited:
B

Boerd

Full Audioholic

:rolleyes: I just discovered I used the wrong correction file... Will re-measure over the weekend.

W

WitchKing

Audiophyte
Ok so I read all of this and I’m about to buy either the f328be’s with the c426be or a full 5 speaker S7T/S7C and S4s system. For anyone who’s heard both, which would you prefer? And if I go with either, will a Parasound A31 be able to handle the LCR speakers or and my MRX1140 the 2 surrounds and 4 ceilings, or do I need something stronger? Room is 15x20’, 8’ ceiling.

current setup:
-Four Focal 300 ICA6 speakers in-ceiling as atmos
-JVC NZ8 projector
-Stewart Balon Edge 135” 2.40:1 Studiotek G4 screen
-Anthem MRX1140 receiver (should’ve bought an AVM70 but i have the MRX so I’ll just use that)
-Panasonic UB9000
-Roku Ultra 4K
-On top of amplification and speakers, I’ll be getting 2 new subs (leaning rhythmik or power sound audio)
-this will all be installed and wrapped up in the next 3 weeks, followed by room treatments and acoustics

Last edited:
G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
It will be difficult to find someone who has heard both. I just went with the reviews of both. Perlisten has gathered an impressive collection of professional reviews. Either choice would be great though. Revels are 8 ohm while the Perlisten are 4 ohm. Your parasound choice will be adequate for either. The MRX1140 should be fine for the surrounds/atmos speakers. Your thoughts on subs will please a fan base but may not be the highest rated. JTR subs are very well rated as are the Perlisten subs. At the amount of money you are investing, I would take my time and read read read. You could also consult audioholics’ main speaker reviewer @shadyJ and see if he answers. Or you could hire one of the audioholics reviewers for an hour’s worth of advice.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Measurements (no filters) done at 90 degrees with the 90 degrees filter for UMIK2:
1684716687776.png

Below 500 you can see that placement heavily influences the response: left speaker in a corner, right speaker against a wall but close to open space.

@Matthew J Poes you were right. Operator error. 1k to 13k the response is very flat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis