PEQ on Yamaha avr 1070

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi. Anyone has experience of using PEQ on previous Yamaha models? Was doing some REW measurements of Through Vs Flat, etc auto EQ modes and it resulted in Through looking the best in rew. With a few bumps and not too deep dips. All within 8-10db. I wanted first to flatten those hills on f3 chart manually, using PEQ, starting from 55hz. It ended up with entire bass region 20 to 200 being lifted by about 2-3 dB instead of moving 40-70hz down by 2-4db. Tried different Q factors 1-5.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Anyone has experience with PEQ in slightly older Yamaha avrs?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not Yamaha specific, before you try different Q 1-5 that you said you did, you should try the calculated values first. Once that's done, you will have the theoretically optimized Q, then you can try different numbers, +/- a little at at a time if you wish, though imo it is better to just use the theoretical numbers. Note: I have no experience with Yamaha's but it looks like their PEQ's pretty standard so the following link should be applicable.

Q factor vs bandwidth in octaves band filter -3 dB pass calculator calculation formula quality factor Q to bandwidth BW width octave convert filter BW octave vibration mastering slope dB/oct steepness EQ filter equalizer cutoff freqiency - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Not Yamaha specific, before you try different Q 1-5 that you said you did, you should try the calculated values first. Once that's done, you will have the theoretically optimized Q, then you can try different numbers, +/- a little at at a time if you wish, though imo it is better to just use the theoretical numbers. Note: I have no experience with Yamaha's but it looks like their PEQ's pretty standard so the following link should be applicable.

Q factor vs bandwidth in octaves band filter -3 dB pass calculator calculation formula quality factor Q to bandwidth BW width octave convert filter BW octave vibration mastering slope dB/oct steepness EQ filter equalizer cutoff freqiency - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin
Thank you. I was just trying to see how PEQ works if it works. I just put values for one band and 0'ed frequencies on all other bands assuming it means the PEQ would affect a region around one frequency. I put a negative number of DBs but in flag I got increase for some reason

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I put a negative number of DBs but in flag I got increase for some reason
That is quite normal if there are cancellations between subs and/or deep bass capable tower mains. That's one reason why imo it is a myth that PEQ is better than Audyssey (or Dirac's) filters, those use FIR filters and their algorithms take care of the spacial differences while people who use PEQ such as when using the minidsp 2X4HD, and/or Yamaha, they would typically do the single point measurements.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
That is quite normal if there are cancellations between subs and/or deep bass capable tower mains. That's one reason why imo it is a myth that PEQ is better than Audyssey (or Dirac's) filters, those use FIR filters and their algorithms take care of the spacial differences while people who use PEQ such as when using the minidsp 2X4HD, and/or Yamaha, they would typically do the single point measurements.
Yeah, but when changing the level to -3db at some frequency I am not changing the room or mic position or sub vs speaker configuration. 55hz is still below crossover freq 80hz and is mostly controlled by the subs. So wonder why decrease in PEQ actually resulted in increase in sound level.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis