D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds good, I didn’t think they could add much to those PB3000’s. I’ve been loving these things, especially knowing the price I got them.
You could move those Bics to another room system or flip them for some coin even if you get 200 out of both that deduct from what you paid for the 3000's

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds good, I didn’t think they could add much to those PB3000’s. I’ve been loving these things, especially knowing the price I got them.
Just to add to dans points. It’s not so simple as to say, they won’t add much to the SVS’s, or that the bics will hold them back. The biggest problem other than sheer output capability, which is worlds apart. Is that the port tunings, and phase response around those tunings will most likely introduce cancellations over a wide range around and above tuning.
Even other SVS subs like the 2k and 4K series aren’t recommended to be mixed(per Ed Mullen) for the same reasons. You CAN, but it’s more work than the headache is worth. As mentioned, I would definitely move them into the bedroom, or den or a kids bedroom etc. They’re pretty good starter subs.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
What's an easy way to see if they are canceling each other out? Play a loud bass scene and measure SPL with all subs on, then turn off the lessor subs and see if its higher or lower? Plus see which sounds best?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What's an easy way to see if they are canceling each other out? Play a loud bass scene and measure SPL with all subs on, then turn off the lessor subs and see if its higher or lower? Plus see which sounds best?
That’s one way, but there’s unfortunately not an easy way that’s accurate or consistent.
The problem is not only with cancellations, but peaks too, where some frequencies will support each other. Testing something like that with largely unknown(frequency wise) material and even worse, the human ear as a measurement tool, would be guesswork really. You’d have to know exactly all the frequencies in the LFE channel and bass material during the passage. And no doubt it would be different for different films.
To know for sure, you’d want to use rew and a good mic. Take sweeps with subs on/off. Honestly though you’d need to know how each sub performs in every area of the room, or at least the locations in question.
That’s unfortunately a very deep dive that takes a lot of time and knowledge.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis