rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Does the PB16 Ultra just go super deep or does it preform as responsive as subs with smaller drivers like the PB4000? I just received a HUGE PB16 and my first impression is this thing goes really deep, but i'm not sure about it's overall performance. Seems like a 50lbs sledge hammer! It's fun at the deep levels to hear. I've not watched a movie or auditioned it much. Kids went to bed, fussy (but very lovely) wife etc...

PB-4000 offer a more responsive sound?

Is there an overall best subwoofer? I should of asked that before getting this Grizzly!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Review here. The short version is that yes, it is very good for deep bass. Its strength is from 16 Hz to 40 Hz. 16Hz is pretty much the lowest pitch that human hearing can discern.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Does the PB16 Ultra just go super deep or does it preform as responsive as subs with smaller drivers like the PB4000? I just received a HUGE PB16 and my first impression is this thing goes really deep, but i'm not sure about it's overall performance. Seems like a 50lbs sledge hammer! It's fun at the deep levels to hear. I've not watched a movie or auditioned it much. Kids went to bed, fussy (but very lovely) wife etc...

Is there an overall best subwoofer? I should of asked that before getting this Grizzly!
For 200 more, here ya go...

Not sure what you mean by responsive?
I’ve seen the ultra described as muddy compared to Rythmik and some psa subs, but responsiveness and impulse response etc, is a function of good setup. I’d recommend spending some good QT with it setting it up properly, and really evaluating it with a variety of content. What did you have before?

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic

I used to have a PB4000 then upgraded to a PB16 Ultra and was underwhelmed. After Owning Rythmik and PSA subs..the PB4000 & PB16 sounded kinda muddy to me.

I ended up with a Power Sound Audio TV1812 leaps over the PB16 with mid-bass slam, ULF and TR.

I would strongly recommend a PSA TV1812 or Rythmik FV18PC

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I can’t even move a pb16 wow so heavy , yes there are better cheaper options . It’s tuned super low so lost midbass slam .
Way more powerful then my diy 15” sealed ...if I had went ported then it would be close .

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Get a SB16 Ultra!
I love mine - I had the PB4000 but opted for the Sealed Beast - It does what I want and gets low enough for me - adding another Sb16 and will go dual this week!

Cheers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Get a SB16 Ultra!
I love mine - I had the PB4000 but opted for the Sealed Beast - It does what I want and gets low enough for me - adding another Sb16 and will go dual this week!

Cheers
By and large the general consensus is to go ported. There's no reason to get a sealed sub outside of size constraints. Everything else about a ported design is superior will offer far more deep bass extension down to the port tuning.

I never ever suggest sealed designs, and I think the majority of the regulars here will agree.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Well I've been enjoying my PB16. Thank you to all the responses. I've yet to reach my verdict. It's a bit of scratch to through at one speaker. My 11 year old saw the box and thought I bought a washing machine. lol This thing is really huge! I get why they offer free returns now. It'll be quite the accomplishment to get this thing back in the box. I feel bad for the guy at the factory. This beast is delivered freight via a pallet. I really didn't think it was going to fit through the front door. I actually called SVS and they were like, "you have to unpack it first in the garage". lol.... it did actually fit (before unboxing) but still, I was like, what the heck was I thinking!!!

I love how it goes crazy deep, deeper than anything i've heard, or will probably ever hear. I'm concerned about the mid bass responsiveness. I have dual subs, with the other being an Axion EP600 sealed. So ones ported and one is sealed. I think that is a no no, right?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
By and large the general consensus is to go ported. There's no reason to get a sealed sub outside of size constraints. Everything else about a ported design is superior will offer far more deep bass extension down to the port tuning.

I never ever suggest sealed designs, and I think the majority of the regulars here will agree.
Yeah it takes some serious power it higher exertion to get anything from sealed subs ... psa or jtr , sealed like stereo integrity or ultimax . Ported always wins for ultra low frequency. 15” Portes beats 18” sealed etc I guess in tiny rooms either works .

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well I've been enjoying my PB16. Thank you to all the responses. I've yet to reach my verdict. It's a bit of scratch to through at one speaker. My 11 year old saw the box and thought I bought a washing machine. lol This thing is really huge! I get why they offer free returns now. It'll be quite the accomplishment to get this thing back in the box. I feel bad for the guy at the factory. This beast is delivered freight via a pallet. I really didn't think it was going to fit through the front door. I actually called SVS and they were like, "you have to unpack it first in the garage". lol.... it did actually fit (before unboxing) but still, I was like, what the heck was I thinking!!!

I love how it goes crazy deep, deeper than anything i've heard, or will probably ever hear. I'm concerned about the mid bass responsiveness. I have dual subs, with the other being an Axion EP600 sealed. So ones ported and one is sealed. I think that is a no no, right?
Getting those integrated together will be a challenge. Maybe use one for mid-bass or near field if possible?

C

ctsv510

Enthusiast

I sold my dual PB16s for PSA TV2112s and would never go back. The PSAs have more extension, higher output across the board, better sound quality, and are cheaper to boot.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m really trying to resist the temptation to get dual Rythmik F18’s when my house closes, I mean I’m in an apartment now so sealed subs should be more polite for the neighbors right? Besides if I watch movies around 75db the neighbors wouldn’t mind 10hz...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’m really trying to resist the temptation to get dual Rythmik F18’s when my house closes, I mean I’m in an apartment now so sealed subs should be more polite for the neighbors right? Besides if I watch movies around 75db the neighbors wouldn’t mind 10hz...
Sealed won't make a big difference. SPL is everything. Unless the firewall between units is really massive, sound transmission will go through very easily. It takes a lot to stop low-frequency sound transmission.

The thing to do for subs in an apartment is to use near-field placement, so that you get hit by the same SPL but the overall in-room SPL is much lower. I would place the sub right behind your listening position if possible. But really, unless your building's construction is extremely heavy-duty on all sides, the thing to do is just use headphones if you want loud bass.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Sealed won't make a big difference. SPL is everything. Unless the firewall between units is really massive, sound transmission will go through very easily. It takes a lot to stop low-frequency sound transmission.

The thing to do for subs in an apartment is to use near-field placement, so that you get hit by the same SPL but the overall in-room SPL is much lower. I would place the sub right behind your listening position if possible. But really, unless your building's construction is extremely heavy-duty on all sides, the thing to do is just use headphones if you want loud bass.
sorry, humor doesn’t translate through the internet sometimes. How long could I blame it on an earthquake?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
sorry, humor doesn’t translate through the internet sometimes. How long could I blame it on an earthquake?
Well, if you live in California you might get away with it once or twice. If you lived in Hawaii you could always blame the volcano...

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Well, if you live in California you might get away with it once or twice. If you lived in Hawaii you could always blame the volcano...
And Colorado, WWIII? I could play at 80 DB and then run out screaming that I just saw several Minuteman 3’s launch.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Yeah sealed has a lot less bleed of sound , but it will still rattle your house !!! If you have back issues can’t carry ported or something is about only reason to go sealed . Or a tiny room ...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Shady I know you can't mix ported and sealed subs but can you mix ported subs with a different port tune? Say a RBH SV-1212PR with a Rythmik FV25HP? The RBH go pretty low just not that low I'd they both have pretty low tunes just one lower then the other what could go wrong or is it an issue at all? Some people say different ported subs no big deal when using them some say it is

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated bro since we've spoke on mixing and matching in this thread I'm super curious about mixing ported subs with a different tune

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady I know you can't mix ported and sealed subs but can you mix ported subs with a different port tune? with a Rythmik FV25HP? The RBH go pretty low just not that low I'd they both have pretty low tunes just one lower then the other what could go wrong or is it an issue at all? Some people say different ported subs no big deal when using them some say it is

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated bro since we've spoke on mixing and matching in this thread I'm super curious about mixing ported subs with a different tune
You can mix ported subs with different tuning frequencies, but it's not ideal. There can be all kinds of phase rotations that can cause weird conflicts, so it could be a crapshoot. However, the room can cause so much havoc on the response that it might not even be a big deal. To be honest, that isn't something I have played around with much, so I don't speak from a whole lot of experience on this particular subject.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm happy with how my 1212 blends with the HSUs, but it's nearfield too. Next time I get a wild hair up my ass I'm gonna pull a switcheroo and move the 1212 up front and put the HSUs behind me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis