Passive Subwoofer - Receiver

S

Seth Morrison

Enthusiast
Hey guys! I'm new here. I'm putting together my first proper home theater room with a projector and all, and kind of learning things as I go. I'm purchasing an Onkyo TX-SR444 receiver, and I have some semi-old Yamaha speakers that were given to me, and it has a SW-P3600 sub. This thought never crossed my mind, but I randomly stumbled upon the fact that you shouldn't connect a passive sub to a receiver? Here is a link of the receiver I'm getting and a picture of the speakers. Thanks for the help!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-805w-7-1-ch-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/4960032.p?id=1219645621667&skuId=4960032

image.jpg

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
you cn connect a passive sub to a receiver, but you need to put power amp between the receiver and the sub.

The reality of the mater is that when you figure in the cost of a reasonably decent amp, it's more economically feasible to simply purchase a powered subwoofer.

S

Seth Morrison

Enthusiast
Ahh I see. So it simply just won't work when connecting a passive sub to a receiver?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ahh I see. So it simply just won't work when connecting a passive sub to a receiver?
Output from AVR to an external amp (like the $159 Crown XLS1000 amp). Then connect external amp to passive subwoofer. It's great. :D

S

Seth Morrison

Enthusiast
So there's that method, or perhaps it'd be better to just invest in a powered sub?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Buying an amp is one way to go but odds are this powered sub would be better than your Yamaha sub with that amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla
markw is correct. The money spent on sub amp would garner you a better powered sub. This Dayton sub I list below would be a much better route. The Dayton offers more output and extension.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm one of the few guys who hate internally powered subs and speakers.

I always prefer externally powered subs and speakers.

If anything happens to the amps, I can use any amp I want.

If something happens to the internal amps, you are at the mercy of finding the plate amp to fit your sub/speaker.

So for me, externally powered subs are unequivocally the best. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Seth,
You do not want to spend $160 for an amplifier to go with that crappy Home Theater in a Box Subwoofer because you will still have a ...wait for it... a crappy HTiB subwoofer. Sorry, but that is just what it is. You don't want to spend that kind of money resurrecting it.
Your Yamaha sub has recently sold on-line for $5 from Good Will to $30 from Cow Boom. There is currently one on eBay with a "starting bid" price of $19.
The SUB-1200 is a subwoofer that has been evaluated and is generally recognized to be an excellent performer in its price range.
Here is a review of it:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/71766-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm one of the few guys who hate internally powered subs and speakers.
You can get the Harman Crown XLS1000 to power your passive sub for $159.

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLS1000-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003HZPKSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441477521&sr=8-1&keywords=crown+xls1000

Cheap. Simple. Works great.

Seriously? The amp will probably work great!:rolleyes:
Because these HTiB's came with a receiver that housed the amp to drive the sub, they are often exclusively tailored to drive the sub. I would not at all be sure a standard amp with flat frequency response would be a good fit for his sub.

I believe you are the only person who feels compelled to categorically hate internally powered subwoofers
Lets put your "in a rut" notion of what constitutes a proper subwoofer to a reality check!
So what sub-amp packages would you recommend for near the following budgets:
$250
$500
$750
$1000
$1250
$1500
$1750
$2000

You may surprise me, but I'm guessing that you will be into $1500 or higher before you can start to offer a package that begins to compete on the basis of actual performance as a subwoofer system. I believe your "rule" only becomes practical once the budget becomes pretty high.

It is one thing for you to state that you like separate amps (and I get that), but to contradict the good advice he has been given without evaluating the passive sub he is using is just wrong.

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'm putting together my first proper home theater...an Onkyo TX-SR444 receiver, and a SW-P3600 sub.
First, welcome!!!
Second, I hope you haven't bought this yet. Maybe you can tell from the responses so far that this system will struggle to be characterized as a "proper" HT by the audioholics here.

If you haven't bought yet, please tell us your budget and what you want to do, (like a 5.1 HT for 50/50 movies and music, or 90/10 movies/music, etc). You'll get some guidance based on technical knowledge and experience gained from thousands of $ spent/wasted. :)

These guys can suggest some good stuff for almost any budget. Let them.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you haven't bought yet, please tell us your budget and what you want to do, (like a 5.1 HT for 50/50 movies and music, or 90/10 movies/music, etc). You'll get some guidance based on technical knowledge and experience gained from thousands of $ spent/wasted. :)

These guys can suggest some good stuff for almost any budget. Let them.
the OP was already gifted the yammie speakers and apparently is trying to make the most out of them, which is understandable and commendable for a starter system.

The recommended powered sub, is decent enough to be able to survive several generations of upgrades.

Now, as for the receiver, I'm not an Onkyo fan but that wasn't the crux of this post. Given my druthers, I'd suggest a Denon from Accessories4less. http://www.accessories4less.com/

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seth,
You do not want to spend $160 for an amplifier to go with that crappy Home Theater in a Box Subwoofer because you will still have a ...wait for it... a crappy HTiB subwoofer. Sorry, but that is just what it is. You don't want to spend that kind of money resurrecting it.
Your Yamaha sub has recently sold on-line for $5 from Good Will to $30 from Cow Boom. There is currently one on eBay with a "starting bid" price of $19.
You and I would never keep this system. But how do you know he thinks the sound from his system is crappy? A lot of people love the sound of Bose (for example).

I am under the impression he would like to keep his current system and wants to spend as little as possible to make it sound "great enough" for him.

He could try a cheap amp from Guitar Center and return it if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
It will work with a cheap amp.

You can use amp later with new sub or sell if you want to update and that would go for any equipment you buy.

We use both and actually have 9 passive subs with amps.

If you want to keep sub find a cheap used amp and go with what you have.

You have been given a lot of choices and it comes down to what you want to do and budget.

Good luck and happy listening...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It will work with a cheap amp.

You can use amp later with new sub or sell if you want to update and that would go for any equipment you buy.

We use both and actually have 9 passive subs with amps.

If you want to keep sub find a cheap used amp and go with what you have.

You have been given a lot of choices and it comes down to what you want to do and budget.

Good luck and happy listening...
Thanks. My points exactly. :D

I know I'm not the ONLY person who likes externally powered Subs. ;)

I think Gene may be another person who likes externally powered subs. :D

My 1st 10" subwoofer was also Externally Powered - the NHT SW2P (MSRP $500, street price $400).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
So, you're comparing his yammie sub to an HSU sub? what have you been smoking?

In the end, that's a crappy sub and, even with an amp, it'll still be a crappy sub, only with an amp.

His money is better spent on that powered sub that was suggested.

Q.E.D.

Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
I didn't compare his equipment to anything...

He was given good choices and now he needs to choose...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So what sub-amp packages would you recommend for near the following budgets:
I don't know all the brands that offer externally powered subs, but here is one example:

$250 - none
$500 - none
$750 - RBH SI-12 + Crown XLS1000
$1000 - RBH SX-1010N + Crown XLS1000
$1250 - RBH SX-1212N + Crown XLS1000
$1500 - RBH SX-1010N/R + Crown XLS1000
$1750 - RBH SX-1212N/R + Crown XLS1000
$2000 - RBH SX-1010N x 2 subs + Crown XLS1000

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, you're comparing his yammie sub to an HSU sub? what have you been smoking?

In the end, that's a crappy sub and, even with an amp, it'll still be a crappy sub, only with an amp.

His money is better spent on that powered sub that was suggested.

Q.E.D.
Nobody is comparing subs. I think everyone agrees that HSU subs are better than that Yamaha.

We are just saying that he may want to try out a cheap amp (say Guitar Center) or any used amp. If he likes the sound of the Yamaha sub, than great. If not, return the amp, and buy the HSU or SVS or Rythmik, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis