Passive studio monitors

itamar2312

itamar2312

Enthusiast
I have done a lot of recording and mixing in my time. I think you have some misconceptions. You are setting up a close mix situation, that will tell you the detail, however the MOST IMPORTANT mix is the far mix. To get an accurate balance for modern conditions, you really do need an FR down to 30 Hz at least. So I think you do need a sub or larger speakers.

In addition, I suspect that you room may well be over treated, many are, and that will not give you a good final product. If you sit close to the speakers in a dead room, you might as well use headphones. As with all speakers, no matter what you are doing, the key is flat mid band response and an off axis response that accurately mirrors the on axis response.

This drive to dead rooms has come from BAD speakers, that have a poor off axis response.
What do you mean a dead room? What's that fast judgment killing my room?

I paid to an acoustic professional to give me an advice and according to that I covered my room with 10cm of rockwool inside frames + 5cm air from the wall.

Btw, I turned the speakers the other way around.

Attachments

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

I paid to an acoustic professional to give me an advice and according to that I covered my room with 10cm of rockwool inside frames + 5cm air from the wall.
That's an English expression meaning that there is too much sound absorption in the room. A room with many hard surfaces will have too many reflections and sound "lively" and have a long decay level. A room with too many sound absorbers will sound "dead". You want the proper balance of absorption and reflection and sound decay levels.

itamar2312

itamar2312

Enthusiast
The 705i will likely be top of your budget new (they are usually priced as singles) but they come up on the used market now and then.

The bargains will be with Kali or PreSonus. There are a couple of reviews on PreSonus speakers on Audioholics, but they are powered speakers. The advantage with powered monitors is that they have DSP built into the speaker which can yield a very flat frequency response. If you insist on going passive to use your amp, you'll want a very neutral speaker or you may need to add DSP or EQ to flatten the response to where you need it.
What presonus speakers did you mean? The sceptre looks quite like the bag end...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Btw, I turned the speakers the other way around.
So you've treated a bathroom? To tone down the echo chamber type effect that many bathrooms have?

itamar2312

itamar2312

Enthusiast
Audioholics reviews:
PreSonus Eris E8 XT Active Studio Monitors Review
PreSonus R80 V2 Powered Studio Monitor Review

They have many models. The Sceptre would be above your price range. Remember that a lot of these are priced as singles, not pairs.
Sceptre isn’t above.

I found it on 1200$ new. Pair.

I also got an offer, same price for Genelec 8040A, second hand.

although I think I should wait on selling my amp and diamonds first.

Still examining the jbl 4312m II…

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sceptre isn’t above.

I found it on 1200$ new. Pair.

I also got an offer, same price for Genelec 8040A, second hand.

although I think I should wait on selling my amp and diamonds first.

Lovin is right. That room is barely even a bathroom in size. That does not look like a suitable room for any type of serious sound production. With that room you would probably be better off with really good headphones.

itamar2312

itamar2312

Enthusiast
So you've treated a bathroom? To tone down the echo chamber type effect that many bathrooms have?
Lovin is right. That room is barely even a bathroom in size. That does not look like a suitable room for any type of serious sound production. With that room you would probably be better off with really good headphones.
don’t post here anymore. Thanks.

by the way, my acoustic advisor said 6.5” should be the max size

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

don’t post here anymore. Thanks.

by the way, my acoustic advisor said 6.5” should be the max size
I have to say that you need a serious reality check. But I can see and agree why your advisor wanted a speaker with a relatively high f3 in a room like that. If this is just a hobby project, then you will get what you can from it. But that venue is not suitable for any serious professional work. That is just a hard fact.

itamar2312

itamar2312

Enthusiast
I have to say that you need a serious reality check. But I can see and agree why your advisor wanted a speaker with a relatively high f3 in a room like that. If this is just a hobby project, then you will get what you can from it. But that venue is not suitable for any serious professional work. That is just a hard fact.
It’s not a fact.

Just because I asked you not to post doesn’t mean you’re right and I’m someone who’s escaping from facing the reality.

it’s very simple mr.idiot, just need to get smaller speaker instead of telling me my place is poop and that all my job can go to waste. Cursed you.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What is up with today's youth? They ask a question, leaving so many more questions and when someone who is smarter then their acoustic guy provides (why isn't he helping with this in the first place instead of posting here?) sound advice, offense is taken and it gets rude.

Pro tip, listening is harder then speaking, a practice that should be done more often when asking questions.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
That would likely be the one I would get. It's bound to be a decent speaker, regardless, and they typically have good resale value, in the event it doesn't work out.

They have some reviews of them on youtube.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What do you think about JBL 4312M II?
I own LSR2325p monitors and enjoy them from time to time, then not many people home. Other times It would be my trusty and much loved HD600. You won't get a bad product if you go with JBL, but higher end models don't have nearly as great value as lower end models like 305/306's.
I think Kali I've mentioned above would be better speaker than 308's, though later aren't bad:

itamar2312

itamar2312

Enthusiast
Don't you think the kali 8 will be too large for my 10m^3 room? that's what myalthough it's great acoustly treated.

highfigh

highfigh

I thought that way I can get stronger speakers which can handle high watts. I have a strong amp.

Also thought that way the companies can invest more in the drivers.
How loud does it need to be? How long before your hearing will suffer the consequences of high SPL?

The best speaker manufacturers invest a lot of time and money in crossover design and testing- the amplifier is of less concern. Generally, one watt is one Watt, whether from a high or low power amplifier.

itamar2312

itamar2312

Enthusiast
How loud does it need to be? How long before your hearing will suffer the consequences of high SPL?

The best speaker manufacturers invest a lot of time and money in crossover design and testing- the amplifier is of less concern. Generally, one watt is one Watt, whether from a high or low power amplifier.
Im gonna sell my amplifier and decided to move to active monitor.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't you think the kali 8 will be too large for my 10m^3 room? that's what myalthough it's great acoustly treated.
I just went back and saw your room photo. I must say one thing - I highly recommend great pair of headphones. I will swear by my Sennheisers HD600. HD800 is slightly better, but not worth the extra $.
I recommend Motu M2 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen for the audio interface.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Im gonna sell my amplifier and decided to move to active monitor.
That is a good decision.

However you must understand that ALL acoustic treatments have severe limitations, and in many cases are worse than useless.

As someone experienced I can tell you that you can not do a high quality mix and production in that room. If you are doing this for your own use, then that is fine, as you will be the only one listening to the production. If however, you are doing it for others and charging for it, that is essentially fraud. That is not an ethical commercial production space, and I don't care who your acoustic advisor is. I have given you the absolute truth.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis