Parasound or Monolith?

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
How do the Monoprice Monolith amps compare to Parasound Halo or JC amps?
Are the close in sound quality? What is better?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do you define sound quality? Do you think you can actually tell them apart? The best one is the one that has the power you like the most for the money....

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
How do you define sound quality? Do you think you can actually tell them apart? The best one is the one that has the power you like the most for the money....
I have no idea if you can tell them apart. I haven’t heard them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't expect them to sound different if they're working correctly and are suitable to purpose otherwise.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Between those two, based on specs and available measurements, if used well within their output limits they will sound the same to humans with normal hearing, even if they are trained to hear minute differences that likely do exist.

If you ask enough people, some will tell you one sounds better than the other, but you will have no way of knowing if they have done their comparison on truly apples to apples basis and/or whether your preference would line up with any of them. At the end of the day, you believe who you want to believe, but we are among those who want to help, and give unbiased opinions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So it’s just all BS?
They're both well respected amps. A lot of the reviewers seem to think they need to do a creative writing session when talking about various amps. You might also look at ATI amps (they make the Monoliths). If you want an amp to change the sound maybe a poor tube amp? Speakers and your room are the primary ways to change the sound. Maybe some EQ. A quality solid state amp not really the way to get "different". You don't really want different from an amp. You want it to amplify the signal and do it well and accurately. Lots of good amps out there that can do this. Some are more capable than others in terms of power/impedance handling.

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
They're both well respected amps. A lot of the reviewers seem to think they need to do a creative writing session when talking about various amps. You might also look at ATI amps (they make the Monoliths). If you want an amp to change the sound maybe a poor tube amp? Speakers and your room are the primary ways to change the sound. Maybe some EQ. A quality solid state amp not really the way to get "different". You don't really want different from an amp. You want it to amplify the signal and do it well and accurately. Lots of good amps out there that can do this. Some are more capable than others in terms of power/impedance handling.
I'm assuming there are a lot of diminishing returns if upgrading from a Monolith.
Why would someone buy a Parasound JC5 over an A21+?

Last edited:
ban25

ban25

Audioholic
The biggest difference is in the aesthetics and chassis appearance. So if that's worth the premium to go to the Parasound over Monolith, by all rights please do! Does a Rolex tell time better than a Seiko?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So it’s just all BS?
2 school of thoughts.

1. One camp thinks all amps have a sound signature of their own (all amps sound differently). So to them, it is NOT BS. They truly believe all amps, preamps, DAC, AVR, AVP sound differently even with the EXACT SAME SETUP.

2. The other camp thinks amps, DAC, preamp’s don’t have sound signatures of their own. Only Processors (EQ, Tones, DSP) and different volume levels (not level matched) will sound differently. So they believe that with the SAME EXACT SETUP and Volume Level, amps, preamps, DAC should not sound differently if you don’t use any EQ/Tones/DSP.

You can read some free online archives of The Audio Critic. It’s an eye opener for many people.

There are other factors to consider besides the obvious COST.

1. Like Warranty period. Some are 1YR, some 2YR or 3YR or 5YR or 7YR or 20YR.

2. Also customer service during the warranty and AFTER WARRANTY.

3. With companies like Onkyo filing Bankruptcy periodically, will some of these companies last long enough?

4. Aesthetics and pride of ownership matter to a lot of people. So not just sound quality, but how they make you FEEL after spending $1K, $2K, $3K, etc. ?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm assuming there are a lot of diminishing returns if upgrading from a Monolith.
Couldn't tell you, Parasound never particularly attracted me but if you want a bit more power, it looks like the JC5, has a bit more than the A21+. Keep in mind takes a doubling of power to gain just a 3dB spl advantage. The Monoliths are quite competent, tho. What speakers are you using at what distances at what spl?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Buy double the headroom that you think you will need. It's nice not having to ever worry about power, no matter what speaker fancy ends up hitting us as time goes on.

Last edited:
M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
Couldn't tell you, Parasound never particularly attracted me but if you want a bit more power, it looks like the JC5, has a bit more than the A21+. Keep in mind takes a doubling of power to gain just a 3dB spl advantage. The Monoliths are quite competent, tho. What speakers are you using at what distances at what spl?
Kef R11 Metas @ about 10 feet away. SPL varies obviously.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
People would buy for various reasons, for me it would be if I had low impedance speakers that can take advantage of the JC5's voltage and current capability. But if that's the case, I would go for the JC-1+. Some my just want to buy the top models because the believe in the BS about more expensive amps always mean better sound quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a bad plan. These days I'd also look at the Purifi or Hypex module amps from Buckeye or others using them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis