Paradigm x12 vs svs 2000 pro

A

Artromano

Audiophyte
Hello everyone

I am looking to upgrade my 30 year old Velodyne 1215x sub to Paradigm x12 or svs 2000 pro. My room is 28x15x7.5. My wife will not allow a 15 inch sub and due to constraints of sharing this open space with my kids 2 subs is not feasible at this time. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Looking to use The sub for mostly movies. Also looking for a hard hitting clean sounding sub. Lastly, has subwoofer technology evolved enough that I am even going to notice a difference from my old Velodyne with a 12 forward firing woofer and a 15 floor passive radiator with 240w A/B amp?

Thank you your input.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Both subs are excellent performers. Fairly large room you might consider the SVS PB-3000. SVS's customer service is great.

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I have a room size 15’ by23’by 8.5 I got 1 pbs 4000 and about to order another. Not about being loud but they will take control of the room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Brettc

Audioholic
4000 only 13.5 “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hello everyone

I am looking to upgrade my 30 year old Velodyne 1215x sub to Paradigm x12 or svs 2000 pro. My room is 28x15x7.5. My wife will not allow a 15 inch sub and due to constraints of sharing this open space with my kids 2 subs is not feasible at this time. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Looking to use The sub for mostly movies. Also looking for a hard hitting clean sounding sub. Lastly, has subwoofer technology evolved enough that I am even going to notice a difference from my old Velodyne with a 12 forward firing woofer and a 15 floor passive radiator with 240w A/B amp?

Thank you your input.
Well, for starters. Yes. Subs have come a long way in 30 years and you will definitely notice some differences. Where are you located and what’s you budget? That’s a pretty good sized room, and if it’s connected to others, the cubic volume will be much higher. The two subs you’ve mentioned are upgrades in every way to the velo, but depending on overall room size, and listening habits, more headroom than the 2000 has series might be in order. @shadyJ has a lot of experience with the paradigm subs and can offer more on that. If your really interested in SVS, I’d look at a cylinder like the PC4000. Smaller footprint with the same performance. Although taller lol.

A

Artromano

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your replies. They are greatly appreciated. To answer further questions posted my budget is $1,500-2,000 for one sub now. And later after the kids give up their play area i could add another.

My current set up position is located in the middle of the room running my HT the shorter distance of the room. My sofa is 2 feet from the rear wall then 13 feet to the front wall with the tv and Mains. I have 14 feet to my right and 14 feet to my left. These large area to the right and left of me are used my kids, thus I have the middle section. I currently have the sub positioned to the MLA running the short way in-line with the mains. Would I be better to position the sub in the kids area to run the long length of the room, with the sub on an adjacent side way 90 degrees of from the Mains?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My room is larger than that and I have an SB4000. No issues with it filling the whole room. I would think for your room size, you might be OK with a PB2000, PB3000 if you can swing it, though I think you'd still be happy with the 2000. It will still be a pretty huge upgrade from the Velodyne.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PB-2000 Pro will dig slightly deeper, but the Paradigm Defiance X12 will have a bit more output. They are both very good subwoofers, you would be happy with either one. You might also consider the Outlaw Audio subs since they have down-firing drivers. That protects the woofers from curious children.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis