Paradigm Monitor 5.1 system vs Axiom Epic 80

P

Paul F

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hi All,
I am considering my first 5.1/7.1 system and have listened to the Paradigms and liked them very much, but the reviews on the Epic 80 system are hard to not heed also. &nbsp;Here's the projected set up:

Listening Room: &nbsp;22x22 with vaulted open beam pine ceiling w/ windows on one wall and 12x8 opening on the opposite. &nbsp;These two walls are 90 degrees from the wall on which the HTS would reside, with the sofa aprox in the middle. &nbsp;Flooring is carpet.

AVR: Denon 3803/Pioneer45-5x/Yamaha 2400

The paradigms that would maybe be in my price range are:
Fronts: Monitor 9/11's
Center: CC 370
Surrounds: ADP 370 (or Monitor 3's?)
Subwoofer: Pw2200

The reason for the ? on the surrounds is due to the difference between which of these will produce the best for both movies and DVD audio since I probably can't locate the ADP 370s on the side walls I wonder at whether direct radiating rears would do better or worse? &nbsp;Same goes for the Axiom surrounds. &nbsp;I wouldn't mind getting the best of both worlds eventually and go with direct radiating rears and try to figure a way to place bi/dipoles on the side walls, but it's not in the budget right now!

Ok, fire away - I'm tired of analysis paralysis and thought I was going with the paradigms until I read the Axiom reviews here and elsewhere. &nbsp;Thanks for your input!</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Pual,    

I don't have experience with either Paradigm or Axiom so I can only provide limited opinions.  First, it seems to me that you prefer floor stand mains which may not be the best choice for HT since you will use subwoofer all the time for LFE and only &gt;90Hz to the mains.  IMHO, standmount monitors mated with sub are better for HT in terms of performance/price ratio.   Secondly, based on reviews here on Audioholics, Axiom scored much higher than more expensive Paradigm.  So, if possible, you probably want to audition Axiom before making decision.  

Gene is reviewing Dynaudio Audience 52 speakers and you may want to wait for the outcome since they definitely worth your consideration. Dynaudio is on a whole different level over both brands mentioned here.  You can use Dyns for main and center while other brands for surround and sub to lower the total cost.

Abe</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>If you get the Yamaha 2400 the Paradigm are the best match and compliment Yamaha's sonic signature nicely, also take a look at Yamaha's own NS-777 and NS-8HX.</font>

D

duff

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I answered this already... my post must have been deleted in the forum update.  

To sum up, I said that - in my listening experience - the Paradigm Monitor Series doesn't quite measure up to the Axiom line.  The Paradigm Studio series, however, makes for a closer comparison.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis