Paradigm Defiance X15 Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In our review of the Paradigm Defiance V12 and X12 subwoofers, we were so impressed by the performance of the X12 that we inquired to Paradigm about getting our hands on the X15 to see what the Defiance platform could do in its most powerful form. Paradigm was enthusiastic to send us their flagship Defiance subwoofer, and, as was promised at the end of the X12/V12 review, here is our evaluation of the Defiance X15. The Paradigm Defiance X15 is the big dog of the Defiance subwoofers. It is a massive, ported 15” subwoofer with an MSRP of $1,499. Unlike the other Defiance subs, it is not something that can be tucked away in the corner or easily hidden. The X15 is a monster that was designed to produce prodigious amounts of bass and is accordingly huge. The superb performance of the Defiance X12 has raised expectations quite high for the X15, so now we will see if it fulfills the promise of its smaller yet mighty sibling.

READ: Paradigm Defiance X15 Subwoofer Review

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
@shadyJ Nice write up! You seem to be very fond of the mid bass in the X-15. How would you compare the mid bass to that of the ULS 15MKII?

M

Mrpoe

Audiophyte
Great review! Thanks
Could you elaborate on the dimensions of your room and the location to achieve the "flat" response? I was imagining what you were saying and i need the x y z to complete the picture haha

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ Nice write up! You seem to be very fond of the mid bass in the X-15. How would you compare the mid bass to that of the ULS 15MKII?
According to the numbers, the Defiance X15 has a bit more powerful midbass.
Great review! Thanks
Could you elaborate on the dimensions of your room and the location to achieve the "flat" response? I was imagining what you were saying and i need the x y z to complete the picture haha
Dimensions are something like 25'x13' but with some irregularities and an opening to a stairwell. The placement where I get the flattest response is close behind the listening position, but that has more to do with the peculiarities of my room. That being the case, its not all that important where I have the sub in my situation, because everyone has to work to find out where subwoofers sound best in their own room, and it almost certainly won't be in the same place relative to the listening position where I have my sub.

M

Mrpoe

Audiophyte
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity! It's just that i read an enormous amount of hard data and even though i understand it it's hard for me to relate, i still need details to compare with my reality, i know your spl readings are lab grade charts but could you for fun add a radio shack dbC meter when you test music and say "While I did play this music loud, I didn’t come close to pushing the limits of what this sub could do, in an effort to preserve my hearing" or the dizziness hahaha
I not trying to be a kiss ass but after your reviews i always find new music and i want to know how my equipment compares.
Does this sound stupid?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity! It's just that i read an enormous amount of hard data and even though i understand it it's hard for me to relate, i still need details to compare with my reality, i know your spl readings are lab grade charts but could you for fun add a radio shack dbC meter when you test music and say "While I did play this music loud, I didn’t come close to pushing the limits of what this sub could do, in an effort to preserve my hearing" or the dizziness hahaha
I not trying to be a kiss ass but after your reviews i always find new music and i want to know how my equipment compares.
Does this sound stupid?
No, that does not sound stupid. It sounds like you want me to give you a SPL reference point for when I make subjective comments about some experience with the sub. That is certainly possible. I would have to break out my SPL meter and take a reading during certain music or movie passages. I still have that sub in my room, and I was going to do some listening to some review speakers today, and I think I can crank the sub and take some SPL measurements sometime today if you would like, just to give you an idea of what the sub is doing at my listening position at high drive levels.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's awesome man! Thank you so much
I think something to keep in mind is that James is using that sub right behind the LP. This changes a lot of things and most rooms/owners can’t/won’t accommodate a subwoofer behind the couch. As he said, one trade off is room gain. All subs will benefit(spl wise)from being placed in a corner where it’s often most convenient. This will most definitely create peaks and valleys to deal with, but without a way to deal with them, people often “get what they get” lol. So the best thing you’ll be able to do even if he can give you spl data, is to translate that into what “might” happen in your room.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
According to the numbers, the Defiance X15 has a bit more powerful midbass.

Dimensions are something like 25'x13' but with some irregularities and an opening to a stairwell. The placement where I get the flattest response is close behind the listening position, but that has more to do with the peculiarities of my room. That being the case, its not all that important where I have the sub in my situation, because everyone has to work to find out where subwoofers sound best in their own room, and it almost certainly won't be in the same place relative to the listening position where I have my sub.
Awesome writeup Shady! These beasts make me want to trade in my 4000's! Well almost but actually that midbass is stunning and I'm finding as long as subs have usable output down to around 17 18hzish I love em. I definetly could be happy with a pair of these!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No, that does not sound stupid. It sounds like you want me to give you a SPL reference point for when I make subjective comments about some experience with the sub. That is certainly possible. I would have to break out my SPL meter and take a reading during certain music or movie passages. I still have that sub in my room, and I was going to do some listening to some review speakers today, and I think I can crank the sub and take some SPL measurements sometime today if you would like, just to give you an idea of what the sub is doing at my listening position at high drive levels.
So you aren’t listening to the music and movies outside in your field? Just kidding. LOL :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That's awesome man! Thank you so much
Ok, I just took some SPL readings at my listening position. My SPL meter is a Galaxy Audio CM140, its a lot better than the standard radio shack SPL meter, but it isn't great for burst measurements (neither is the RS meter),so if I had been doing serious burst tests with my Earthworks mic and MOTU preamp, I am sure I could have measured higher SPLs. So continuously, I can sustain about 119 dB at my listening position from the Defiance X15 using a 55 Hz sine tone, maxing out at 119.8 dB. The C-weighting at 55Hz wouldn't be much different than no weighting. That's as loud as it gets continuously at my listening position. I would never listen to it that loud outside of a brief test though, that is absolutely jarring, plus it scares my Cockatiel - which is on another floor of the house. If I feel like getting crazy and listening to some oldskool drum'n'bass at high levels, I can't imagine ever going over 110 to 114 dB at my listening position. Keep in mind music is complex signal and not a pure test tone, and those are two very different animals for any kind of loudspeaker and also will have different loudness sensations for human hearing. But regardless, that is still a very loud range and it puts a pretty good beating on just about any sub. Bottom line is the X15 has more than enough dynamic range for my needs, and I am pretty needy when it comes to bass.

M

Mrpoe

Audiophyte
Wow that's brutal! And it felt like a lot when everything was shaking when i achieve 106db listening the opening of edge of tomorrow ! 14db more that's sick!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, I just took some SPL readings at my listening position. My SPL meter is a Galaxy Audio CM140, its a lot better than the standard radio shack SPL meter, but it isn't great for burst measurements (neither is the RS meter),so if I had been doing serious burst tests with my Earthworks mic and MOTU preamp, I am sure I could have measured higher SPLs. So continuously, I can sustain about 119 dB at my listening position from the Defiance X15 using a 55 Hz sine tone, maxing out at 119.8 dB. The C-weighting at 55Hz wouldn't be much different than no weighting. That's as loud as it gets continuously at my listening position. I would never listen to it that loud outside of a brief test though, that is absolutely jarring, plus it scares my Cockatiel - which is on another floor of the house. If I feel like getting crazy and listening to some oldskool drum'n'bass at high levels, I can't imagine ever going over 110 to 114 dB at my listening position. Keep in mind music is complex signal and not a pure test tone, and those are two very different animals for any kind of loudspeaker and also will have different loudness sensations for human hearing. But regardless, that is still a very loud range and it puts a pretty good beating on just about any sub. Bottom line is the X15 has more than enough dynamic range for my needs, and I am pretty needy when it comes to bass.
I bet that felt awesome the ultimate back massage lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I love my PB 4000's but man if this review had been out about 2 years ago I'd have jumped all over these 1500 for all of the performance and features is a hell of a deal. I especially love how they go low enough for movies but really smash that midbass for music. Not to mention the versatility of setting your crossover with such great midbass performance all the way up to 100hz like they do.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow that's brutal! And it felt like a lot when everything was shaking when i achieve 106db listening the opening of edge of tomorrow ! 14db more that's sick!!
To be fair, the X15 would not be able to do anywhere near 119dB for the opening scene in Edge of Tomorrow. That is a 10 Hz square wave. There are few subs that could actually reproduce that scene, and most that try would output almost entirely distortion instead of the actual source waveform. The infamous tone at the beginning of Edge of Tomorrow is mostly misunderstood as source content.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
@shadyJ nice write up! The price point of this sub puts it right with the PSA V1811. What are your thoughts about that?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ nice write up! The price point of this sub puts it right with the PSA V1811. What are your thoughts about that?

I could only speculate. My guess is that they will have similar midbass output. It may be that the V1811 is a bit more comfortable at deeper frequencies, but they both look to have a similar nominal response. The V1811 would needed to be tested to be sure. I would prefer Paradigm if only for their willingness to undergo third-party testing. Snazzier looks, Room correction EQ app, sub control app, and dealer support are just icing on the cake.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
I could only speculate. My guess is that they will have similar midbass output. It may be that the V1811 is a bit more comfortable at deeper frequencies, but they both look to have a similar nominal response. The V1811 would needed to be tested to be sure. I would prefer Paradigm if only for their willingness to undergo third-party testing. Snazzier looks, Room correction EQ app, sub control app, and dealer support are just icing on the cake.
True. I don't know why Tom doesn't send out some of his newer subs to Database. I can say that PSA customer service is 2nd to none IMHO.
The App stuff is nice for sure.

I wonder if some people are concerned with country of origin & QC when it comes to parts? I wonder how much tariffs will impact us... As far as I know most of PSA components are manufactured and assembled in the United States.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis