Panasonic DMP-BD60 plus UP blu-ray for $125 (or $115)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Knowing that it can't be in the format used by the Vista CD writer might be the ticket.
That part was glaringly obvious even for me which is why I went to my XP desktop whose burner is a little flaky but that other thing was somewhat more subtle in it's dastardly trickery ... for me anyway.

His computer skills and professional internet security type status didn't stop you from finding him in about 2 minutes flat so pardon me if I'm somewhat unconvinced of his expertise outside of them there woods with the raccoons and such. :p :)

... besides, I hope it's an easy fix.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Did you try to fast forward a bit to see if it was just a particular point on the disc that caused it to freeze?
Brother said it's the same problem area. He bought the title for himself, and is bringing it over later. In fact, I'm going to contact him and see if the new one works on his system (wasn't clear to me). Hopefully we can finish the viewing! :)

(4) Have WAF to buy a new LG 390BD ( $249 at Conns today) with wireless NetFlix streaming. If the Panasonic firmware fixes the problem, which I have my doubts, then I will have a BD at the Woods Cabin instead of just a plain DVD.
Sounds like a plan.

P.S.- I could go with the Panny you guys are talking about ???
One thing I'd like to reiterate, and clarify, is how the new one runs cooler. It is most noticeable when at idle, I *think*. IIRC, you put your electronics in a non-ventilated closed cabinet, and that's something that might please you. FWIW. Otherwise, I like the idea of trying new brands, but for some reason, I don't always (depends on the unit being replaced). I bet you'll like the LG, though I only say that due to a couple of happy posts from a couple of folks.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Given your experience, and especially if you want Netflix streaming on the player, I'd pass on the Panny. Go for the LG. It got a nice write-up on AH.

Did you see the part that was posted about writing the firmware in a particular format and that the Vista CD writer program can't do it? I'm just wondering if that's what's causing the FW not to work on your player. The fact that you can't play blu-rays or DVDs is a bad sign, though.
(4) LG BD390 Option chosen - will have it hooked-up in a little while ;)

I really hate Conn's. I have never bought there before, but some guy with bad credit did and put down our home phone number, as his. We still occasionally get a call from a collection agency ...some 6 years later.

I went to Conn's to pay with credit card and felt apprenhensive the whole time, like I was on trial. They wanted phone numbers, addresses, Driver License. It was not a comfortable feeling.

Peace and Good Sound,

Forest Man

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
New Inglourious Basterds finished perfectly, starting from the chapter with issue before. :cool:

Bro forgot to bring bad disc, but hopefully I'll grab it soon to return it.

I admit I was apprehensive when the problematic scene arrived. whew, heh.

Time to finish second half of Amadeus. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sweet! Glad that it was likely just the disc.

Is your bro still there? You could just give him the mailing envelope, and then he could send it back. Just a thought.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Sweet! Glad that it was likely just the disc.

Is your bro still there? You could just give him the mailing envelope, and then he could send it back. Just a thought.
Thanks. I need to pick up a good envelope, and I will contact Amazon first. I don't want to burden my bro anyways, but thx. Ok, Amadeus is cued up, TrueHD selected, autoDRC defeated. I'm missing my first ever string quartet rehearsal tonight to be able to have this fun. :eek: It's ok though, first time for me, and I've taken just about every opportunity before, whether just 2 or 3 people. They need to catch up anyways. :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Oops, I spaced on that. I was thinking Netflix, not Amazon. :eek:

Enjoy playing hookie. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
His computer skills and professional internet security type status didn't stop you from finding him in about 2 minutes flat...
You flatter me, but it was more like five minutes. I took a wrong turn...and also got some coffee. :)

Heck, man, you found me. Granted, it was a while after I'd already joined the AH group on Facebook and let me real name loose to the world...but still, quite a feat for a simian. :p :D Heck, my stomach sank so low when I finally interpreted your PM that I thought it might actually put enough pressure on my boys to make them drop. Sadly, no, but it would have been a sweet silverlining if it had.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
it was a while after I'd already joined the AH group on Facebook
Yeah, it took like a month. I didn't use face book because I'm not big into new stuff on the computer. It really bugged me that you kept saying it would be so easyyyyyy... Yeah, if I was on facebook. :rolleyes:

My two goals as a computer owner were emails, ebay, Google and learning to count. :D

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Just got the LG BD390 - Awesome

(4) LG BD390 Option chosen - will have it hooked-up in a little while ;)

I really hate Conn's. I have never bought there before, but some guy with bad credit did and put down our home phone number, as his. We still occasionally get a call from a collection agency ...some 6 years later.

I went to Conn's to pay with credit card and felt apprenhensive the whole time, like I was on trial. They wanted phone numbers, addresses, Driver License. It was not a comfortable feeling.

Peace and Good Sound,

Forest Man

Not trying to hijack this thread. If someone is interested in the LG BD390 let me know. Tired out BD on disc thatwouldn't play on my Panasonic 30DMK ( I think I have aproblem besides firmware), set-up wirelees Internet and tried NetFlix --nice PQ, and then LG informs me there is a firmware update avaialble so i download and installed seamlessly from the Internet through the wireless connection. Life is Good

Peace and Good Sound to All,

Forest Man

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Not trying to hijack this thread.
Feel free! The deal is long gone, so make this thread whatever you want. :)

I'm happy that you're new player is working out so well! That's great news.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Was there a way to check what firmware is on the player? I downloaded and burned to disc and it said Unsupport, which the instructions said means the firmware is the same.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Was there a way to check what firmware is on the player?
Hi, John. Yes, there is. I don't have the manual handy, but the firmware website states this as the first step in the process:

Panasonic Firmware Download Site said:
Step 1. Check the firmware version currently installed in your BD player

Follow the steps below to check the firmware version currently installed in your Panasonic BD player.

Steps
1. Turn on the main unit.
2. Press the [SETUP] button on the remote control to open the display menu screen.
3. Using the Up and Down cursor buttons on the remote control, select the "DISPLAY" tab - "DISPLAY" items will appear.
4. Press and hold the [STATUS] button on the remote control. While doing so, the current firmware version for your player will be displayed in the lower right hand corner of the screen (e.g. "1.4").

Please make note of this version number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
it said Unsupport
Mine did the same thing when I tried to feed it the burned decompression program or whatever that second thing was that downloaded with the FW update. Am I the only guy this happened to?

Anyway Adam has the answer which is the same thing jostenmeat pointed me toward. It told me that my FW was version 2.0 ... 2.2 is the currently used one. So ... now that I have a functioning burned disc, I would just love to be of some small assistance by sending it to anybody ... postage paid.

Yeah ... I've got that kind of ching. :rolleyes: :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So ... now that I have a functioning burned disc, I would just love to be of some small assistance by sending it to anybody ... postage paid.
First - very nice of you. Seriously.

But, what happens to the poor soul with your 2.2 CD when they release 2.3? Or, heaven forbid, 2.4? RING, RING. "Hello, Alex?" I figure that it's better to teach someone how to do it, and it isn't difficult. Just use the correct format when burning (they explain exactly what to use on the website as part of the step-by-step directions), or connect the player directly to the internet. Heck, just run a long cord to it once every couple of months when they release a new FW version. The way that I get straight to the page that I want is to Google "DMP-BD60 firmware update" and pick the first page. Of course, insert your player number in the search text instead of mine if it's different. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
But, what happens to the poor soul with your 2.2 CD when they release 2.3?
That' when the price goes through the roof and I start voting Republican.
Go Reagan !!! :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm pretty sure panasonic will send you a firmware update disc for free if you just call them and tell them you have no interet access.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis