Panasonic DMP-BD60 plus UP blu-ray for $125 (or $115)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
There are websites explaining how to do it with a PC laptop, such as this one (first hit on Google).

I'll read that later because I'm more addicted to Audioholics than I am to audio but this is why I thought it wouldn't work:

You can't hook your PS3 to the laptop for it to get internet access you need to connect it directly. Your laptop cannot act as a router. You need to plug the wire into your router and the router into your PS3.
I thought the principle was the same. Use my laptop as a bridge?
I can barely use it to get online!

Seriously, thanks for the help (that's everybody really). I was way worse when I first got here and now I'm rockin' a BR. That's huge. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I thought the principle was the same. Use my laptop as a bridge?
I can barely use it to get online!
I was lucky enough to find a video on YouTube to set it up for the MacBook. It took a tweak or two, but nothing Einsteinian.

You've got the blu-ray hardwired, though, right? Then you don't need to worry about it. :) I didn't feel like running the wire or buying another AirPort Express, so I looked into using the ethernet jack on my MacBook because it seemed to me like it should be possible...and it was.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I did successfully complete the update via a burned disc and now the BR player is hard wired but the instructions on the update thing had me thinking that I needed the BR player hooked up to the display ... well ... yeah, I did need it hooked up to the display. Didn't I?
You needed it to eventually find out if your FW took just fine (even if it always seems to, if it says "FINISH"). The other reason would be to check FW before, to make sure you even need to (even though all players I've read about never come with the most current FW). Well, so, you didn't HAVE to connect it, but I would say +99% of the folks would have it connected when dealing with FW update. I'm trying to word that carefully, so as not to have you blow up. :D

Listen, this day has not been my idea of a good time. :rolleyes:
I'm trying to word this carefully, as to have you blow up: So the motto of the story is, when in doubt, cut a hole in the wall, and all will work out just fine! :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You needed it to eventually find out if your FW took just fine (even if it always seems to, if it says "FINISH"). The other reason would be to check FW before, to make sure you even need to (even though all players I've read about never come with the most current FW). Well, so, you didn't HAVE to connect it, but I would say +99% of the folks would have it connected when dealing with FW update. I'm trying to word that carefully, so as not to have you blow up. :D
Well, now I can swing both ways. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to word this carefully, as to have you blow up: So the motto of the story is, when in doubt, cut a hole in the wall, and all will work out just fine! :D
Normal people might gasp at the thought but I'm a drywaller. That should have been my first move. I just poked my drywall saw through the wall at a height that matches the rest of the boxes so that if I want to add a box, it's at the right height and if I want to patch it, a dab of toothpaste ... ;) The holes are behind the gear on one side and below the desktop on the other side. No biggie.

It would have beat wasting 3 disks trying to burn the wrong thing.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah. I tell you what, the first time is by faaaaaar the most confusing and difficult. Calibrating a display is a bit easier the second time, or running some auto EQ is a bit easier the second time, but updating FW is MUCH MUCH easier the second time.

btw, if you liked Blue Planet, you are going to LOVE some other future selections.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I must be an exception because I read the directions, then, because I thought it was very easy the first time. :p

Putting a hole in drywall, on the other hand, was one scary-a** proposition the first time that I did it. :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I must be an exception because I read the directions, then, because I thought it was very easy the first time. :p
A) You probably don't use Vista.

B) Updating via ethernet is 10x more simple.

C) You are a computer geek.

D) All of the above.

I guess D. :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
This is kind of funny how a "Deals" thread might last a little while as the "owner's thread", lol. Ok, I remember why I'm posting here, and I'm not laughing anymore. I just posted this at an owner's thread elsewhere, regarding the movie, Inglourious Basterds:

"I put this title on for a full house last night. It completely froze a little past the halfway mark. Oh man was that frustrating, particular because all 8 seats were filled, and it wasn't just me there. One person came from an hour away, and another from two hours away! My brother took it home to try it on his system, and he says it's messed up on his Sony BD350 as well. While I had immediately updated to 2.2 as soon as I got this, he probably hasn't updated his Sony since last summer, if not even longer ago than that.

I cannot for certain say that it is an issue with the disc or player or FW or what. The disc is brand new, looks perfect when inspecting.

I'm going to try to do an exchange with Amazon eventually. Ugh, we were really enjoying this move, and then kaput (at a climactic moment too)!

This is my first problem BD since I put on Sunshine nearly two years ago on a BD30 with ancient/original FW. Do I consider myself lucky still? Grrr!

Your thoughts?"

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm. I remember when my second-gen Toshiba DVD player would pause when a disc went to the second layer, but I haven't experienced anything like that on the BD60. I haven't watched that movie, though.

Did you try to fast forward a bit to see if it was just a particular point on the disc that caused it to freeze?

If it really is an issue with the BD60, I suspect that they'll fix it in firmware.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Adam, it is indeed the exact same area. Thanks for reminding me to more specifically ask my bro if it's the exact same spot on his too. Did this ever happen with CD's or DVD's? (because I don't remember issues there).

Interestingly, there were some complaints about random freezes with owners of the BD60, but it was nuts because they were NOT reproducible (random times, different times).

Mine is. I even rebooted the player. On third try, I wanted to skip to next chapter, but even that started screwing up. (We figured out the little we missed simply due to how the next chapter started).

This movie was extremely engaging, and looked fantastic, which seems to be the norm with recent Tarantino movies.

We put on some Beethoven on the system afterward for a few people, and then Public Enemies late into the night. That was my second viewing there, and I believe there is some EE with ringing going on, but I should confirm. Pretty certain though, OTOH, some closeups looked really excellent.

Have a good evening Adam, cya tomorrow.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Did this ever happen with CD's or DVD's? (because I don't remember issues there).
It did with my Toshiba that I bought back in late 1997 (or was that early 1998?). It had issues transitioning between layers on dual-layer DVDs. It didn't happen on all DVDs, but it simply couldn't handle some DVDs.

Have a good evening Adam, cya tomorrow.
Same to you! Have a good one.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Panny Customer Service ?

Amazon has the Panny BD60 and Up on blu-ray for $125 (add to your cart separately), and it drops to $115 if you pay with your Discover Card.

Wow. I paid $200 for the player alone just a few months ago (twice because I bought two). Quite a deal, IMO! I might just need to order one for my parents.
My old model panny BD30 quit playing BD - audio and standard DVD are okay.

I contacted Panny a couple of weeks ago and they were going to were going to send me firmware ( I burned a firmware CD and it wouldn't read). Then if that didn't work I have to send it in. I am not impressed with their customer service.

If it turns out not to be a firmware problem, then I was originally going to get the BD60. Now I am strongly considering the LG BD390.

Good Luck! but Caveat Emptor

Forest Man

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Forest, did you take the advice about burning the firmware CD and try again?

BTW, did it stop playing blu-rays that it used to play? I wouldn't think that would be a firmware issue. I'd say it might be firmware if it could still play the same blu-rays but couldn't play certain newer ones.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
My old model panny BD30 quit playing BD - audio and standard DVD are okay.

I contacted Panny a couple of weeks ago and they were going to were going to send me firmware ( I burned a firmware CD and it wouldn't read). Then if that didn't work I have to send it in. I am not impressed with their customer service.

If it turns out not to be a firmware problem, then I was originally going to get the BD60. Now I am strongly considering the LG BD390.
The Sony's seem to be the most reliable of the mainstream standalones right now. The LG's and Samsung's have had Broadcom-itis as of late. Of course, the Sony's (and the Pioneers and Sharps) are the most underfeatured and overpriced.

Still, if I were spending money under $300 (no Oppo), I would get the LG BD390 before anything else.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Help - Panny broke apporve to buy LG-390BD

Forest, did you take the advice about burning the firmware CD and try again?

BTW, did it stop playing blu-rays that it used to play? I wouldn't think that would be a firmware issue. I'd say it might be firmware if it could still play the same blu-rays but couldn't play certain newer ones.
Sorry I didn't answer sooner.

(1) I tried burning the firmware several ways and it won't read.

(2) All the BD were NetFlix so I don't have them anymore.

(3) To clarify , I can't read any BD, maybe not any DVD. All Iknow is music CDs still work

(4) Have WAF to buy a new LG 390BD ( $249 at Conns today) with wireless NetFlix streaming. If the Panasonic firmware fixes the problem, which I have my doubts, then I will have a BD at the Woods Cabin instead of just a plain DVD.

What would you do ? :confused:

Peace and Good Sound to All,

Forest Man

P.S.- I could go with the Panny you guys are talking about ???

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What would you do ? :confused:
Given your experience, and especially if you want Netflix streaming on the player, I'd pass on the Panny. Go for the LG. It got a nice write-up on AH.

Did you see the part that was posted about writing the firmware in a particular format and that the Vista CD writer program can't do it? I'm just wondering if that's what's causing the FW not to work on your player. The fact that you can't play blu-rays or DVDs is a bad sign, though.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
He said 'maybe' not DVD's. I had two things downloaded to my desk top on my desk top which is XP. Don't try to copy/burn the thing with the books and the arrow. It's the other one. If this is too technical for you I can try to dumb it down but ... this is already scraping the lower levels of language. :D

Sorry, just kidding. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My impression is that FM is well versed in the use of computers, so it shouldn't be difficult for him to put the correct files onto a CD. Knowing that it can't be in the format used by the Vista CD writer might be the ticket.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis