M

mw86

Enthusiast
I have a friend who's going back to Germany at the end of the year. He's interested in buying a DLP (possibly plasma) in the states and shipping it home (still much cheaper). Question is... How does a DLP handle a PAL signal? I know some DVD players (i.e. Denon-2900) have selectable video out sources but what about watching cable or satellite TV in a country which broadcasts in PAL? Are there compatibility issues? Any ideas :confused:

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
mw86 said:
I have a friend who's going back to Germany at the end of the year. He's interested in buying a DLP (possibly plasma) in the states and shipping it home (still much cheaper). Question is... How does a DLP handle a PAL signal? I know some DVD players (i.e. Denon-2900) have selectable video out sources but what about watching cable or satellite TV in a country which broadcasts in PAL? Are there compatibility issues? Any ideas :confused:

I would look for a DLP that can do both PAL and NTSC, I know that SONY and Pioneer make models that do both...your friend just needs to look around.

M

mw86

Enthusiast
JohnA - thanks

the problem I've encountered is that the typical spec sheets don't mention anything about PAL/NTSC compatibility (probably cuz they are catering to the American market). I guess it will require a little more investigation.

So I'm right in my assumption that the tuner will have to be PAL/NTSC selectable? :confused:

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
mw86 said:
JohnA - thanks

the problem I've encountered is that the typical spec sheets don't mention anything about PAL/NTSC compatibility (probably cuz they are catering to the American market). I guess it will require a little more investigation.

So I'm right in my assumption that the tuner will have to be PAL/NTSC selectable? :confused:

If you do a Google search for Plasma NTSC PAL it will give you a nice list of good starting places.

The Receiver will have to be PAL/NTSC...the "tuner" is that what you are talking about? tuner=receiver? or are you talking about the cable tuner?

M

mw86

Enthusiast
not refering to am/fm tuner....

:eek: No, I was referring to the television tuner for cable/satelite/terrestial signals. Sorry for the confusion.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
mw86 said:
:eek: No, I was referring to the television tuner for cable/satelite/terrestial signals. Sorry for the confusion.
If the Turners (a calbe box, SAT box, etc..)in europe are PAL you would just need to set the Plasma to read PAL

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis