M

mw86

Enthusiast
I have a friend who's going back to Germany at the end of the year. He's interested in buying a DLP (possibly plasma) in the states and shipping it home (still much cheaper). Question is... How does a DLP handle a PAL signal? I know some DVD players (i.e. Denon-2900) have selectable video out sources but what about watching cable or satellite TV in a country which broadcasts in PAL? Are there compatibility issues? Any ideas :confused:

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
mw86 said:
I have a friend who's going back to Germany at the end of the year. He's interested in buying a DLP (possibly plasma) in the states and shipping it home (still much cheaper). Question is... How does a DLP handle a PAL signal? I know some DVD players (i.e. Denon-2900) have selectable video out sources but what about watching cable or satellite TV in a country which broadcasts in PAL? Are there compatibility issues? Any ideas :confused:

I would look for a DLP that can do both PAL and NTSC, I know that SONY and Pioneer make models that do both...your friend just needs to look around.

M

mw86

Enthusiast
JohnA - thanks

the problem I've encountered is that the typical spec sheets don't mention anything about PAL/NTSC compatibility (probably cuz they are catering to the American market). I guess it will require a little more investigation.

So I'm right in my assumption that the tuner will have to be PAL/NTSC selectable? :confused:

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
mw86 said:
JohnA - thanks

the problem I've encountered is that the typical spec sheets don't mention anything about PAL/NTSC compatibility (probably cuz they are catering to the American market). I guess it will require a little more investigation.

So I'm right in my assumption that the tuner will have to be PAL/NTSC selectable? :confused:

If you do a Google search for Plasma NTSC PAL it will give you a nice list of good starting places.

The Receiver will have to be PAL/NTSC...the "tuner" is that what you are talking about? tuner=receiver? or are you talking about the cable tuner?

M

mw86

Enthusiast
not refering to am/fm tuner....

:eek: No, I was referring to the television tuner for cable/satelite/terrestial signals. Sorry for the confusion.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
mw86 said:
:eek: No, I was referring to the television tuner for cable/satelite/terrestial signals. Sorry for the confusion.
If the Turners (a calbe box, SAT box, etc..)in europe are PAL you would just need to set the Plasma to read PAL

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis