overrated/underrated Performers

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I agree, BUT, Alice N Chains &amp; Soundgarden were very good. And now with Audioslave, I am willing to say their next effort will be more refined. The Rage Against the Machine band is superb. I think they have the best NEW rock guitar player around. To me, even though Rage was awsome, I believe Audioslave will be the next big thing!</font>

W

Wabbit_Swayer

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000F22'>I second that zumbo.  The ratings on Like a Stone were huge.</font>

R

rorythedog

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Under-rated

Yello
Preston Reed (IMHO, world's greatest guitarist)
Supertramp
Goldfrapp (fabulous sound)
The Tragically Hip
Jennifer Warnes
Robert Calvert (especially 'Captain Lockheed &amp; The Starfighters')
Manic Street Preachers
Queensryche
Marillion
The KLF (ground-breaking, stunning sound for the time)
Jethro Tull
Cyndi Lauper
Counting Crows

Over-rated

The Doors
Jimi Hendrix
Greatful Dead
Bryan Adams
Celine Dion
Queens of the Stone Age
Nirvana
Any (all?) recent 'Grunge' bands
Just a few, these lists could go on &amp; on &amp; on.</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
rorythedog : <font color='#000000'>Under-rated

Yello
Preston Reed (IMHO, world's greatest guitarist)
Supertramp
Goldfrapp (fabulous sound)
The Tragically Hip
Jennifer Warnes
Robert Calvert (especially 'Captain Lockheed &amp; The Starfighters')
Manic Street Preachers
Queensryche
Marillion
The KLF (ground-breaking, stunning sound for the time)
Jethro Tull
Cyndi Lauper
Counting Crows</font>
<font color='#000000'>How could I forget Jethro Tull in my underrated list? Shame on me. Queensryche is pretty good too.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Queensryche is big-time underrated, and one of my all time favorite bands. &nbsp;Interestingly, they were the first band I ever saw live, and the last concert I've seen, too (they came to the superb Great Hall of the Washington Pavillion in Sioux Falls). &nbsp;Tate has lost a wee bit of his top end, and I was disappointed to see that at least on this leg of the tour Chris DeGarmo isn't touring with them, although he did record Tribes with them. &nbsp;

They're one of the best shows I'd ever seen over the last two decades, and nearly as good nowaday as then.

Their downfall, IMO, is that no one could hope to follow up an album like Mindcrime. &nbsp;I almost wish they hadn't tried...</font>

R

rorythedog

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Operation Mindcrime, IMO, is up there with 'The Wall' and 'Dark Side Of The Moon'.

Superb piece of work

BTW Little Death Orchestra could change your life.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rorythedog

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Did I mention Mike Oldfield? Thought not.

Have a listen to 'Amarok'. Awesome dynamics and stunning seperation. If ever an album was crying out for the multi-channel treatment, this is it.

Goodnight folks.</font>

A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Underrated:

Thomas Dolby****
Talking Heads
Smiths
Cracker
Yaz
Clash
Squeeze

Overrated:

Beatles, Stones, most metal bands, the entire Jackson family and most other Pop music.

Since most people are sheep (following the herd without any unique opinion of their own), sales are often an excellent indicator of music being overrated.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I see a general trend in this thread, that is, more popular a band is, more likely it will be a 'over rated'. &nbsp; Interpratation: all those millions that love those 'over rated' band are simple 1. no taste. &nbsp;2. dump, &nbsp;3. deaf, &nbsp;4. ^&amp;*&amp;^#%@$.

On the contrary, &nbsp;only 328 people in the whole world know/have heard this band and I'm one of them, I must be 1.great, 2. cool, 3. intelligent, 4. unique, ......

LOL!

Abe</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
abe : I see a general trend in this thread, that is, more popular a band is, more likely it will be a 'over rated'.   Interpratation: all those millions that love those 'over rated' band are simple 1. no taste.  2. dump,  3. deaf,  4. ^&amp;*&amp;^#%@$.

On the contrary,  only 328 people in the whole world know/have heard this band and I'm one of them, I must be 1.great, 2. cool, 3. intelligent, 4. unique, ......

LOL!

Abe
Just because some of us might think a band/performer is overrated doesn't necessarily mean we think they suck, just that their overrated. This is a forum for music lovers and audio/videophiles. Some of us take it seriously, and the &quot;millions&quot; of mindless masses out there who love and settle for mediocrity don't matter to me.</font>

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

<font color='#000000'>I skimmed this thread pretty quickly so I may have missed the Kings of Karaoke.

Milli Vanilli - Pretty d**n over rated while it lasted!
&nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lanecoveking

I am sure for this one many people will disagree with me (but I still don't understand these people, including you, you, you, you)...

I think Norah Jones is overrated..

she can't sing, the band is crappy, she wrote a few good songs though, she is cute, but that is not good enough.

L

lanecoveking

By the way, just one more... underrated..

Eva Cassidy is definitely underrated, or should be much better known by more people...

She is a fantastic singer, so versatile, talented, her simple guitar fingering is so full of wonders. When she sings those blue or jazz, the pitch/range of her voice is so amazing. I have her Imagine CD (HDCD, I am sure any one out there listened to it), it is absolutely fantastic.

Eva Cassidy is definitely underrated.

U

Unregistered

Another List

underrated:
====================
Chick Corea
Peter Nero (!)
Bob Carlysle (more than just "Butterfly Kisses")
Kansas
The Doobie Brothers (esp. before Michael McDonald)
Whitney Houston (flame away!)
Mariah Carey (ditto!)
Bobbie Darin
Chopin
Earth, Wind & Fire
Three Dog Night
Manhattan Transfer

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Here's my short list:
Underated: Joe Walsh, Phill Collins, Carlos Santana, Emerson lake & Palmer

Overrated: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, Peter Frampton

Just my two cents. I like all of the above mentioned though!

Cheers :eek:

dsa220

dsa220

Junior Audioholic
Here goes:

Underated:

Cowboy Junkies
Robert Lucas
Lyle Lovett
The Mavericks
The Bobs

Overated:

Dosen't the word CRAP have RAP in it?!?! :D Enough said.

U

Unregistered

rorythedog said:
<font color='#000000'>Under-rated

The Tragically Hip
</font>
You must not be from Canada. ;) The Hip get sooo much press and adoration here at the expense of other good bands. After I bought Fully Completely, I found most of their subsequent singles instantly recognizable as a Hip song after a few notes without being told it was a Hip song. As live performers, the times I've seen them indicate that they really should stick to smaller venues even if they can sell out an arena.

Underrated:
Prince
54-40
Wallflowers
Crowded House
Big Sugar
David Lee Roth (although he is getting a little pudgy and less flexible in his old age)

I think everyone has covered the overrated category quite nicely already.

Chris P.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis