Outlaw Model 7125 Power Amplifier Preview

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I use a Panamax+Tripp Lite for protection. :D

The Panamax used to improved the SQ a long time ago when we lived close to the phone company and radio station (radio interference). But now that we live far away from the phone company and radio station, there is no more interference.

I can't tell any difference in SQ between this vs wall direct now.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
This is not a fear but an observation.
I have plugged amps into the Panamax AMP socket and did not think much of it. Over time, I felt something was not right so I began to consider an AMP upgrade.

A friend brought over his Outlaw m2200 mono blocks over for an audition.
I plugged the mono blocks directly into the wall.
They sounded great, better than my Sunfire 7400 driving my Salons.
The m2200 had cleaner than the Sunfire which was a bit harsh in the upper end. It wasn't that the Sunfire was bad, it just wasn't as good.
No one expected that.

Another friend brought over his Focal bookshelf speakers.
I asked which amp my friend would preferring use the, he picked the M2200. Days later, I plugged the Sunfire directly into the wall and the performance improved.

When I read professional amp reviews they are plugged directly into the wall.

- Rich
I can't think of any explanation for what you heard with the Panamax, or how the Emotiva could possibly affect the sound of an amplifier in any audible way. It is possible that somehow these devices could limit current, but that wouldn't be so easily audible, since most listening is done at a few watts. Even if you were driving peaks of over one hundred watts per channel I'm at a loss to explain it, though you did claim to be able to clip AT3000 channels.

60Hz AC power at 120v just isn't very complicated, and once you hit the transformer, rectifiers, and smoothing caps in an amp most possible effects are long gone. Even if you do have significant DC offset on the waveforms it's not something that would change the sound of an amp, it only affects the transformer, which isn't really in the signal path.

I have no experience with either of these power protection products, but the idea that somehow they can make an amp sound less clean is very odd, not far off in my mind of someone claiming that there is a difference between power cords.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can't think of any explanation for what you heard with the Panamax, or how the Emotiva could possibly affect the sound of an amplifier in any audible way. It is possible that somehow these devices could limit current, but that wouldn't be so easily audible, since most listening is done at a few watts. Even if you were driving peaks of over one hundred watts per channel I'm at a loss to explain it, though you did claim to be able to clip AT3000 channels.

60Hz AC power at 120v just isn't very complicated, and once you hit the transformer, rectifiers, and smoothing caps in an amp most possible effects are long gone. Even if you do have significant DC offset on the waveforms it's not something that would change the sound of an amp, it only affects the transformer, which isn't really in the signal path.

I have no experience with either of these power protection products, but the idea that somehow they can make an amp sound less clean is very odd, not far off in my mind of someone claiming that there is a difference between power cords.
If you have a Kill-a-watt, plug in you amp using it and see if you can hear a difference (if you are a difference hearer :))

- Rich

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis