Outlaw model 200 mono block??

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Hi guys, I have the opportunity to purchase two used outlaw mono blocks and I want to ask if I am going to be able to tell the difference with or without them. My system currently is powered by Outlaw model 5000 that puts out 180w in 4ohms and the mono blocks is rated at 300w at 4 ohms ( my speakers are 4 ohms. I am planning to power the fronts with the mono blocks, will there be noticeable differences??

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Not enough information. The question you have to ask is 'Do you wish the front three were louder at times?' The Model 5000 is a good amp so if it gives you the power you need I don't see getting extra power as making a big difference. If you never have to push the 180w's why would you need to go to 300w's?

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
I just dont want to under power the speakers, my center is rated 20-200w and the fronts are 20-300w so for the center I assume 180 is ok. Plus I will lake a little more power out of the fronts at stereo mode.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I just dont want to under power the speakers, my center is rated 20-200w and the fronts are 20-300w so for the center I assume 180 is ok. Plus I will lake a little more power out of the fronts at stereo mode.
You also need to be careful with overrelying on those specs. Just because they say they can take 200 or 300 w RMS doesn't mean they ever should

For one it's not good to drive them that hard all the time

2nd you want to preserve some hearing Lol

I usually look at those specs divide by half and then look for an amp that gives me some headroom past that

So the outlaw 5000 should be more then sufficient

Without more data it would be difficult to say otherwise distance to seating position room size listening levels type of speakers used

But based on what your saying I think the 5000 should be fine

but monoblocks have there own advantages so buying 3 on sale right now I believe and then using the 5000 elsewhere in the system or in another system also has its advantages

It's really ultimately up to you but without more data can't say if you'll notice that much difference with the more powerful amps

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Speakers are Polk Lsi25, every where I looked ( forums and etc...) people say that this speakers are power hungry ( dont know how true that is ) and my seating position is about 15 feet from them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another power hungry Lsi speaker owner, lol.

This is a very useful little tool to give you an idea of your power needs with your speakers. Just enter the data into the calculator. I love playing with this thing, lol.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Another power hungry Lsi speaker owner, lol.

This is a very useful little tool to give you an idea of your power needs with your speakers. Just enter the data into the calculator. I love playing with this thing, lol.
So 2.4 db gain if I swith from 180w to 300w!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So 2.4 db gain if I swith from 180w to 300w!!
Yup. Not as much as you'd think, huh? I punched your speakers in and you're in between a printing press and a jet engine with 180 watts. That ain't bad, lol.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Yup. Not as much as you'd think, huh? I punched your speakers in and you're in between a printing press and a jet engine with 180 watts. That ain't bad, lol.
I dont know, I always have the feeling that they need more, maybe I am wrong...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont know, I always have the feeling that they need more, maybe I am wrong...
Well, if you listen at 103 dB regularly I can see maybe needing more power. I can also assume that you're deaf, lol. What kind of volumes do you listen at? If you ran any kind of calibration you should be getting 85 dB at 15' when your volume on the relative scale is at "0". That's cranked up pretty loud and you're using 3 watts at that point. The other 297 watts are unused and have no effect on sound quality until you get into jet engine volumes...

If you think something is lacking then you need to look into better speakers. Maybe add a sub if you don't have one. Bigger amp will only help if your goal is to weaponize your system. I do not think your gonna hear any audible differences from one to the other.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Well, if you listen at 103 dB regularly I can see maybe needing more power. I can also assume that you're deaf, lol. What kind of volumes do you listen at? If you ran any kind of calibration you should be getting 85 dB at 15' when your volume on the relative scale is at "0". That's cranked up pretty loud and you're using 3 watts at that point. The other 297 watts are unused and have no effect on sound quality until you get into jet engine volumes...

If you think something is lacking then you need to look into better speakers. Maybe add a sub if you don't have one. Bigger amp will only help if your goal is to weaponize your system. I do not think your gonna hear any audible differences from one to the other.
Maybe you are right, may be I need different speakers. The only bad thing is I dont have a unspecified amount of money lol. A lot of people lake the lsi speakers, a lot straight hat them, I am on the middle!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The misconception with Polk is more watts. It's more about a robust amp that can drive low impedance.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
The misconception with Polk is more watts. It's more about a robust amp that can drive low impedance.
I dont even use the subs in this speakers! I only use the top portion, mids and high.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I dont even use the subs in this speakers! I only use the top portion, mids and high.
It's still low impedance thru the low mid, especially around 100hz.

"The LSi25's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/-15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.82/-2.34 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The -3dB point is at 27 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 25 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.02 ohms at 94 Hz and a phase angle of -43.97 degrees at 2.2 kHz. Sensitivity averages 89 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz"
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-lsiii-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures#q9hSHV0eTVt3DLZq.99
"

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Where do you have your crossover (or low pass filter) set? If you're not using the bass drivers on those towers you're going to want to make sure the subs are picking up where the mids leave off. Do you know where they were originally crossed over?

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Where do you have your crossover set? If you're not using the bass drivers on those towers you're going to want to make sure the subs are picking up where the mids leave off. Do you know where are they were originally crossed over?
Problem with this speaker is the one woofer plays from 60 to 180hz.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis