Outlaw died, looking for 7.2 music-only preamp/processor with XLR connects

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
I was just reading another thread where someone mentioned his AVP-A1HDCI was now a doorstop. I know another member, @AcuDefTechGuy , has made his into a decoration piece as Denon couldn't repair it. Could have something to do with it....but if functioning is a generally nice piece of kit, but lacking some of the latest/greatest feature now. Somewhat depends what latest/greatest features you need....
The Marantz 7005 may be the safest bet. I only want 7.2 music. The bass control is slick. XLR, optical and digital inputs. That's about it. I use "7-channel stereo"...have never used a Dolby, or any other kind of theater set up.

Still looking. Comments here have saved me from wasting time down dry holes.

Much appreciated!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was just reading another thread where someone mentioned his AVP-A1HDCI was now a doorstop. I know another member, @AcuDefTechGuy , has made his into a decoration piece as Denon couldn't repair it. Could have something to do with it....but if functioning is a generally nice piece of kit, but lacking some of the latest/greatest feature now. Somewhat depends what latest/greatest features you need....
I would advise against buying any used/pre owned AVP/AVR, especially that one.

But yeah, it looks good sitting there. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Marantz 7005 may be the safest bet. I only want 7.2 music. The bass control is slick. XLR, optical and digital inputs. That's about it. I use "7-channel stereo"...have never used a Dolby, or any other kind of theater set up.

Still looking. Comments here have saved me from wasting time down dry holes.

Much appreciated!
You use a surround processor to play in multich stereo mode? I find surround modes much better, or just stick to 2ch. Maybe for parties the multich stereo thing.

What bass control?

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
You use a surround processor to play in multich stereo mode? I find surround modes much better, or just stick to 2ch. Maybe for parties the multich stereo thing.

What bass control?
The Outlaw has a 7-channel Stereo mode ( 5, 2 as well) Its the reason I bought it. It mixes the sound from room to room in incredibly surprising ways. None of the built-in modes, Dolby etc ( no clue ) sound anywhere near this mode, I've tried them all. The sound is seamless from room to room, especially with the placement of the various Epicure speakers. Not sure if anyone is familiar, or cares ( they get dismissed occasionally), but they are each built with the same "module" a well-matched driver and inverted dome tweeter, period. The only difference in each of the speakers ( from this era ) was the placement of the module. The 400's have a set on all 4 sides, the 20's on front an an angled top, the 202's on 2 vertical sides. Winslow Bruhoe described it as a hurricane of sound. So no one has to sit in a sweet spot to enjoy the sound. We have a blast at house parties. Just ask the neighbors 2 blocks away.

If I wanted 2 channel, this would be a breeze.

Bass control of the hz roll off of each ( pair ) of speakers. I have 7. I wrote earlier how one is able to roll the lower hz off of the main speakers to the subs so they can do the heavy lifting. I've had 4 Epicure 400 speakers since '77. Replaced the drivers with Hu's from Human speakers. Never had a subwoofer until I went 7.2. The Epicures handled the low end really well, but these M & K subs, with 2 drivers each blend well with the omnidirectional Epicures.

Not sure Winslow Bruhoe would agree. He's welcome here anytime.

Happy listening. I'm still in silence. Music Jones.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m going to continue to advocate for a processor such as the AV7706. Why go from an extremely dated processor to a marginally more up to date receiver such as the 7005?

While multi room functionality can be had from older units using ALL CHANNEL STEREO mode, that is not at all what they were intended to do. Do you realize that with the AV7706, or processors like it, you could run three different zones(rooms) independently or all at once in unison.

With a connection to your network, you could control the different media and volume at which they play in each of the three zones in the app of a Smart device from anywhere in your home. If no ethernet connection is possible, a wi-fi connection is supported.

Wanna’ stream an 80’s rock channel to all zones to get the party started? No problem. Is the party winding down? No problem. Power down any zone as needed with a tap on the app. Need more volume in the main zone and less in another zone. No problem. Party goers in another zone want different music than what is in the main zone? No problem.

Now, there are certain restrictions regarding playback in three different zones but just getting two channel music to each of them is easy enough. Having complete control of each in the palm of your hand is so much better than simply expanding a single zone into separate rooms using ALL CHANNEL STEREO mode as a work around. Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m going to continue to advocate for a processor such as the AV7706. Why go from an extremely dated processor to a marginally more up to date receiver such as the 7005?
I think COST might be the #1 factor since I assume the 7706 will cost a lot more than the old 7705.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, no doubt. But, current gear costs more than obsolete gear. It’s worth more for a warranty and longer shelf life. Refurbs with warranty can be had for far less than new as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, no doubt. But, current gear costs more than obsolete gear. It’s worth more for a warranty and longer shelf life. Refurbs with warranty can be had for far less than new as well.
Oh I am all for brand new with full 5 YR factory warranty. :D

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Plus you can still run that gross ALL CHANNEL STEREO mode on modern gear if you absolutely insist upon it! :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Outlaw has a 7-channel Stereo mode ( 5, 2 as well) Its the reason I bought it. It mixes the sound from room to room in incredibly surprising ways. None of the built-in modes, Dolby etc ( no clue ) sound anywhere near this mode, I've tried them all. The sound is seamless from room to room, especially with the placement of the various Epicure speakers. Not sure if anyone is familiar, or cares ( they get dismissed occasionally), but they are each built with the same "module" a well-matched driver and inverted dome tweeter, period. The only difference in each of the speakers ( from this era ) was the placement of the module. The 400's have a set on all 4 sides, the 20's on front an an angled top, the 202's on 2 vertical sides. Winslow Bruhoe described it as a hurricane of sound. So no one has to sit in a sweet spot to enjoy the sound. We have a blast at house parties. Just ask the neighbors 2 blocks away.

If I wanted 2 channel, this would be a breeze.

Bass control of the hz roll off of each ( pair ) of speakers. I have 7. I wrote earlier how one is able to roll the lower hz off of the main speakers to the subs so they can do the heavy lifting. I've had 4 Epicure 400 speakers since '77. Replaced the drivers with Hu's from Human speakers. Never had a subwoofer until I went 7.2. The Epicures handled the low end really well, but these M & K subs, with 2 drivers each blend well with the omnidirectional Epicures.

Not sure Winslow Bruhoe would agree. He's welcome here anytime.

Happy listening. I'm still in silence. Music Jones.
All a multich stereo mode is sending same signal to each pair of L/R speakers (mains and various surrounds), and a summation for the center. It's not surround. When you say room to room, your stereo pairs of speakers are in different rooms?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis