Outlaw died, looking for 7.2 music-only preamp/processor with XLR connects

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Truly hope I'm not posting a thread that sounds like I'm looking for hamburger recco's.

I'm far from an audiophile, and some years ago, a friend suggested I employ a 990 Outlaw preamp/processor to build a 7.2 multi-room stereo set up for the 1st floor of my humble home.

The 3 B & K amps I also use have XLR connects which I confess I merely "assume" are better than RCA, and the Outlaw suited my needs. I like the bass control (2 M & K subs) and it was all I could ask for.

I also have an SMSL DAC, which may or may not be needed if the replacement I find has one built in.

It's been a lifetime since I've investigated this, and considering I don't care about home-theater, I figured I'd ask you geniuses if you could at least point me in the right direction. I'd gladly buy pre-owned equipment from the right seller.

Thanks in advance, all the best
Christopher

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Truly hope I'm not posting a thread that sounds like I'm looking for hamburger recco's.

I'm far from an audiophile, and some years ago, a friend suggested I employ a 990 Outlaw preamp/processor to build a 7.2 multi-room stereo set up for the 1st floor of my humble home.

The 3 B & K amps I also use have XLR connects which I confess I merely "assume" are better than RCA, and the Outlaw suited my needs. I like the bass control (2 M & K subs) and it was all I could ask for.

I also have an SMSL DAC, which may or may not be needed if the replacement I find has one built in.

It's been a lifetime since I've investigated this, and considering I don't care about home-theater, I figured I'd ask you geniuses if you could at least point me in the right direction. I'd gladly buy pre-owned equipment from the right seller.

Christopher
What are your sources, and what is your TV?

It seem you need another AVP.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rough price range? XLR requirement puts you in a slightly higher price category.

C

CharlesJones166

Audioholic Intern
Hi Christopher,

If you're looking for a replacement for your Outlaw preamp/processor that has XLR inputs to match your B&K amps, there are a few options to consider.

One popular option is the Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2, which has a fully balanced signal path with XLR inputs and outputs. It also includes a high-quality DAC with USB, optical, and coaxial inputs, so you may not need to use your SMSL DAC. Another option is the Parasound Halo P5, which also has XLR inputs and a built-in DAC with USB, optical, and coaxial inputs.

If you're looking for a more budget-friendly option, the Fosi Audio DA2120C is a 2.1 channel amplifier with USB, optical, and coaxial and RCA inputs that could work well with your B&K amps. It has a built-in DAC, but you could still use your SMSL DAC with it.

Hope this helps!

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic

Christopher

Christopher
Anthem AVM70

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Rough price range? XLR requirement puts you in a slightly higher price category.
Thank you for taking the time to relpy.

There is a 7500 ( original price) Denon on ebay...now 1200. The depreciation is appealing...the only question is will my ear know the difference?

And if a pre-owned piece fails...and parts are not available...it turns into a paperweight.

What's out there under reply.

Thank you

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Hi Christopher,

If you're looking for a replacement for your Outlaw preamp/processor that has XLR inputs to match your B&K amps, there are a few options to consider.

One popular option is the Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2, which has a fully balanced signal path with XLR inputs and outputs. It also includes a high-quality DAC with USB, optical, and coaxial inputs, so you may not need to use your SMSL DAC. Another option is the Parasound Halo P5, which also has XLR inputs and a built-in DAC with USB, optical, and coaxial inputs.

If you're looking for a more budget-friendly option, the Fosi Audio DA2120C is a 2.1 channel amplifier with USB, optical, and coaxial and RCA inputs that could work well with your B&K amps. It has a built-in DAC, but you could still use your SMSL DAC with it.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your reply. I'll look into these today.
I had an Emotiva DAC that worked well from new, but died after 4 years. The SMSL is much better to my ear. It has "tube" like sound options which sound great.

Really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for taking the time to relpy.

There is a 7500 ( original price) Denon on ebay...now 1200. The depreciation is appealing...the only question is will my ear know the difference?

And if a pre-owned piece fails...and parts are not available...it turns into a paperweight.

What's out there under reply.

Thank you
*What's out there under 1000?

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for your reply. I'll look into these today.
I had an Emotiva DAC that worked well from new, but died after 4 years. The SMSL is much better to my ear. It has "tube" like sound options which sound great.

Really appreciate your taking the time to reply.
The Outlaw 990 has enough XLR outputs to feed 7 speakers. The 2 subs are fed via RCA.

If I'm not mistaken, neither of the processors you noted have this capability?

Here again I'm only looking for stereo, not home theater. The bass control on the Emotiva is great. I am running 7 Epicure loudspeakers of varying models given their location in the house. Some 400's, 20's, 202's. The B & K amps have 250w which the speakers love, and being able to control the bass roll off to let the M & K subs do the heavy lifting provides a very satisfying level of sound from room to room in the house.

I may have gotten lucky with the 990...7.2 and all.

There is a 976 out there in pre-owned market that may be an option given its history.

Really appreciate the insights here. Thank you

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is why the questions come up. XLR equipped units are higher up the food chain. You probably won't find anything now with XLR under $1k, except used.

I got my Marantz 7705 refurb for $2k w/ 3yr warranty at AC4L.com Reputable place. It has XLR out for 11ch plus 2 subs.

Private used can be questionable, since you never know who the owner was. It might be perfect or it might have issues and no way to know. With higher end gear, you will tend to have less issues on the private market, but there's no guarantee.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah for sure - the risk percentage is usually much higher on used/preowned and refurbished complex components compared to brand new components.

Might just get an AVR and buy those RCA-XLR adapters so you can turn the RCA outputs into XLR outputs. :D

Yamaha Avantage AVR have 5YR warranty if that is important.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to break it to you but simply your pursuing such gear makes you an audiophile. Pretty much the definition of such. Hard to find a bargain like the Outlaw pre-pros these days. I'd look at some of the better avrs with a full set of pre-outs, and a mode to turn off most of the amp circuitry. A full set of xlr pre-outs can be hard to do, tho (but also are largely not necessary either unless you have very long runs of cable between pre and amp).

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
What are your sources, and what is your TV?

It seem you need another AVP.
My sources of late are Pandora and/or Youtube music which play either through a USB feed (hi output one?) from my laptop or bluetooth from my phone via the SMSL DAC. I also play CD's from a Sony 400-CD player. There was a time when I played my ipod through a Wadia dock, but that's been awhile. My tv is an LG, but home theater is not a concern. The TV is connected via an optical cable, but only to run the sound through the system, which it does just fine, but the house is not set up with a designated theater area. Though I must admit, re-watching the old NYPD series with the stereo on is much better than it was in 1992.

Thank you for your interest. All the best

Last edited:
B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Sorry to break it to you but simply your pursuing such gear makes you an audiophile. Pretty much the definition of such. Hard to find a bargain like the Outlaw pre-pros these days. I'd look at some of the better avrs with a full set of pre-outs, and a mode to turn off most of the amp circuitry. A full set of xlr pre-outs can be hard to do, tho (but also are largely not necessary either unless you have very long runs of cable between pre and amp).
Maybe so on audiophile. Isn't the curse when you ask yourself "What can I do to make it sound just a little bit better?" I gotta believe there is a trail of divorces in which, at least in part, his purchase of 3k in cable set her off...

My first stereo purchase was from Almas hifi here near Detroit in 1971. A Fisher quadrofonic receiver with a joystick to move the sound around. Advent smalls, a Sony cassette deck and a Phillips turntable. I was 12. So maybe there is a drop or two of audiophile blood. I wouldn't ever say no if I was invited to hear 20k speakers or a 100k system thoug

There are a few Emotiva XSP and XMC's popping up too, though my Emotiva DAC only survived 4 years.

Really appreciate the input.

Thank you

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If budget permits, a used Marantz processor would be a good fit and not just for home theater features that will not be optimized. Being able to connect to a network enables streaming from various services and devices in lossless audio and the eARC audio connection is superior to optical when connecting to the TV. HDMI-CEC(Simplink in the LG TV) will enable automatic switching in the processor to the TV input source when selecting apps in the TV. And, if the interest in additional speakers for surround sound arrises, you are already set.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe so on audiophile. Isn't the curse when you ask yourself "What can I do to make it sound just a little bit better?" I gotta believe there is a trail of divorces in which, at least in part, his purchase of 3k in cable set her off...

My first stereo purchase was from Almas hifi here near Detroit in 1971. A Fisher quadrofonic receiver with a joystick to move the sound around. Advent smalls, a Sony cassette deck and a Phillips receiver. I was 12. So maybe there is a drop or two of audiophile blood. I wouldn't ever say no if I was invited to hear 20k speakers or a 100k system thoug

There are a few Emotiva XSP and XMC's popping up too, though my Emotiva DAC only survived 4 years.

Really appreciate the input.

Thank you
LOL the "what can I do to make it sound just a little better" isn't particularly an affliction of audiophiles (but often a waste of time/money for audiophiles outside of transducers). Sounds like you're a lifelong club member, tho :) You started a few years before me, I put together my first good system at 16 in 73.

If you really want xlr (which wouldn't have much to do with sounding better particularly), I also think the Marantz pre-pros are a good way to go. I've read far too many complaints about Emotiva processors to want one myself...

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
LOL the "what can I do to make it sound just a little better" isn't particularly an affliction of audiophiles (but often a waste of time/money for audiophiles outside of transducers). Sounds like you're a lifelong club member, tho :) You started a few years before me, I put together my first good system at 16 in 73.

If you really want xlr (which wouldn't have much to do with sounding better particularly), I also think the Marantz pre-pros are a good way to go. I've read far too many complaints about Emotiva processors to want one myself...

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
True. I just read a scorching review of an Emotiva XMC-1 having seen one online for sale. As I said, my Emotiva DAC died after 4 years of use.

I'm coming across the Marantz 7005 with some frequency at a decent price. I appreciate your input on the brand.

There is also a Denon AVP-A1 HDC1 for sale for $1200...apparently it was $7500 new. Why one piece of audio gear costs that much more than another is something beyond my depth. Seems to me a blind taste-test would be the only way to find the gear that satisfied one's ear.

There's a Macintosh theater preamp out there for $2400. Is it 6 times better than the 7005? Who knows.

I'd really like to find an Outlaw 976, but they don't seem to be a frequent seller which may be a good sign.

Thanks for valuable insight.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True. I just read a scorching review of an Emotiva XMC-1 having seen one online for sale. As I said, my Emotiva DAC died after 4 years of use.

I'm coming across the Marantz 7005 with some frequency at a decent price. I appreciate your input on the brand.

There is also a Denon AVP-A1 HDC1 for sale for $1200...apparently it was $7500 new. Why one piece of audio gear costs that much more than another is something beyond my depth. Seems to me a blind taste-test would be the only way to find the gear that satisfied one's ear.

There's a Macintosh theater preamp out there for $2400. Is it 6 times better than the 7005? Who knows.

I'd really like to find an Outlaw 976, but they don't seem to be a frequent seller which may be a good sign.

Thanks for valuable insight.
I was just reading another thread where someone mentioned his AVP-A1HDCI was now a doorstop. I know another member, @AcuDefTechGuy , has made his into a decoration piece as Denon couldn't repair it. Could have something to do with it....but if functioning is a generally nice piece of kit, but lacking some of the latest/greatest feature now. Somewhat depends what latest/greatest features you need....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis