OSD amps in protect mode

W

Wetlands

Audiophyte
hello all, thank you for taking the time out to read this. I have 4 brand new osd xmp 500's two are completely hooked up to an Atlas Ied zones 1 and 2. At start-up they go into protect mode immediately, I unboxed a third unit and plugged in the power source only with no other wires attached and it goes into protect mode as well. I haven't opened the fourth box yet... Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More details about particular connections to what gear might help. Particularly if you take a new unit and duplicate those connections and it also has issues, that would point to the current setup details. I have no idea what an Atlas led zone is either, links might be nice. And I wouldn't hook anything else up yet. Maybe disconnect stuff....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
hello all, thank you for taking the time out to read this. I have 4 brand new osd xmp 500's two are completely hooked up to an Atlas Ied zones 1 and 2. At start-up they go into protect mode immediately, I unboxed a third unit and plugged in the power source only with no other wires attached and it goes into protect mode as well. I haven't opened the fourth box yet... Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
If that third unit goes into protection only plugged into the AC mains, then you have bought a load of junk.

I have never heard of OSD. On looking into them something does not smell right. They say they based in Bree California, and everything is designed and engineered in the US. They seem to produce a huge range of gear. I can find no information on where the gear is produced. I suspect it is all manufactured in China, in here today and gone tomorrow factories with zero quality control. In addition according to records they variably employ only 11 to 50 employees. That is not nearly enough to produce the vast range of equipment they have on offer.

What is the country of manufacture stated on those units?

From what I can find out, my fraud alarms are on overdrive.

I suspect you have been had. So my advice is to return those units and try and get your money back if you can.

W

Wetlands

Audiophyte
Thanks for responding, the atlas atmosphere 4 zone processor can be found here
www.atlasied.com/atmosphere
Its going to be paired with 4 osd xpa 500 amplifiers, (I said xmp 500 in the original post) one amp per zone. Zone 1 is the only thing hooked up at the moment, I completely disconnected zone 2.
Zone 3 was never connected to anything other than just plugging in the power source and upon doing so it went into protect mode Immediately which made me think it wasn't a wiring issue, or maybe it is and requires everything to be hooked up correctly before powering on?
Speaker connection is straight forward + & -
The 2nd image shows a balanced input +G--G+ and this is where I'm confused the install manual shows it as such but on the back of the Amp itself on the 3rd image #7 for balanced inputs shows +G-+G- which is completely different from what the 2nd image says and there is only one place the wire harness fits and thats the #7 port.
Is there a reason the wiring diagram would look like that even though it doesn't match the input labeling on the amp?
The balanced input from the Amp goes to the same type of connection on the atlas ied processor except to the output, the atlas ied powers up fine and connects to wifi with no issues. After the atlas processor its followed by a Sonos port to be able to stream music which also powers up fine.
I find it pretty hard to believe that I have 3 or possibly 4 bad amps so I'm leaning toward me being the problem here.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for responding, the atlas atmosphere 4 zone processor can be found here
www.atlasied.com/atmosphere
Its going to be paired with 4 osd xpa 500 amplifiers, (I said xmp 500 in the original post) one amp per zone. Zone 1 is the only thing hooked up at the moment, I completely disconnected zone 2.
Zone 3 was never connected to anything other than just plugging in the power source and upon doing so it went into protect mode Immediately which made me think it wasn't a wiring issue, or maybe it is and requires everything to be hooked up correctly before powering on?
Speaker connection is straight forward + & -
The 2nd image shows a balanced input +G--G+ and this is where I'm confused the install manual shows it as such but on the back of the Amp itself on the 3rd image #7 for balanced inputs shows +G-+G- which is completely different from what the 2nd image says and there is only one place the wire harness fits and thats the #7 port.
Is there a reason the wiring diagram would look like that even though it doesn't match the input labeling on the amp?
The balanced input from the Amp goes to the same type of connection on the atlas ied processor except to the output, the atlas ied powers up fine and connects to wifi with no issues. After the atlas processor its followed by a Sonos port to be able to stream music which also powers up fine.
I find it pretty hard to believe that I have 3 or possibly 4 bad amps so I'm leaning toward me being the problem here.
How can you be the problem and you just plug it into the AC and it is not connected to anything else? I'll wager on another boat load of Chinese junk.

W

Wetlands

Audiophyte
How can you be the problem and you just plug it into the AC and it is not connected to anything else? I'll wager on another boat load of Chinese junk.
Will have to wait until Tuesday to find out. I purchased everything from Crutchfield they have a 60day return policy. They designed the system Only cost 15k for the whole system Ummm...... Thought I was getting something awesome.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Will have to wait until Tuesday to find out. I purchased everything from Crutchfield they have a 60day return policy. They designed the system Only cost 15k for the whole system Ummm...... Thought I was getting something awesome.
You got something awesome alright: three dud units right out of the box!

It would be helpful to know what you are building. It sounds like some sort of whole house system, which so often turn into a nightmare, as well as giving a home the ambiance of a shopping mall.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can you share what the whole system they designed is then, assuming it comes with particular wiring instructions/diagrams? So we can "see" what you're doing....have you tried talking to Crutchfield yet?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
On their website, OSD (Outdoor Speaker Depot) don't publish the frequency response, nor the THD figures for their amplifiers. :eek:

If I were the OP, I would rush to return those products.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Can you share what the whole system they designed is then, assuming it comes with particular wiring instructions/diagrams? So we can "see" what you're doing....have you tried talking to Crutchfield yet?
Actually this whole business is quite upsetting to me.

This outfit produces 69 pages of product.

Yet, according to my research the company employs between 11 and 50 employees. I would bet most are marketing types and graphic artists.

You such have to wonder from whom, or where, they are sourcing this gear, assuming it is even worthy of the name.

Even their name concerns me, as I suspect the intent is to confuse OSD, with the renowned and ethical company OSC. OSC make, and produce some of the finest and robust class D amps available today.

This leads to the next issue. Class D amps need extremely careful design and implementation. They can not be done on the cheap, as if they are, you can guarantee unreliability and failures. Good design and exacting quality control are vital, as these amps are extremely difficult to diagnose and repair, and often not worth the time and trouble.

OSC have an extremely good reputation for reliability.

Critchfield seem to have gone into bed with this OSD outfit big time. I have never dealt with Crutchfield, and can not comment, other than to say this has made me wary.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually this whole business is quite upsetting to me.

This outfit produces 69 pages of product.

Yet, according to my research the company employs between 11 and 50 employees. I would bet most are marketing types and graphic artists.

You such have to wonder from whom, or where, they are sourcing this gear, assuming it is even worthy of the name.

Even their name concerns me, as I suspect the intent is to confuse OSD, with the renowned and ethical company OSC. OSC make, and produce some of the finest and robust class D amps available today.

This leads to the next issue. Class D amps need extremely careful design and implementation. They can not be done on the cheap, as if they are, you can guarantee unreliability and failures. Good design and exacting quality control are vital, as these amps are extremely difficult to diagnose and repair, and often not worth the time and trouble.

OSC have an extremely good reputation for reliability.

Critchfield seem to have gone into bed with this OSD outfit big time. I have never dealt with Crutchfield, and can not comment, other than to say this has made me wary.
You mean QSC ? Don't see OSD trying to trade on that, it's not even very similar. Not saying their amps are on QSC level at all, otoh you can buy decent class d modules for an amp of your own branding, too. I'm not saying these are on the level of Purifi or Hypex modules either, tho.

Then again for an in-ceiling whole-home speaker type system, could be good enough although that price seems quite high....but need all the details.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You mean QSC ? Don't see OSD trying to trade on that, it's not even very similar. Not saying their amps are on QSC level at all, otoh you can buy decent class d modules for an amp of your own branding, too. I'm not saying these are on the level of Purifi or Hypex modules either, tho.

Then again for an in-ceiling whole-home speaker type system, could be good enough although that price seems quite high....but need all the details.
Yes, QSC, thanks for catching that typo. Hypex modules are not that cheap, and you are only getting a module, you have significant work to do to implement a total design.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, QSC, thanks for catching that typo. Hypex modules are not that cheap, and you are only getting a module, you have significant work to do to implement a total design.
Just saying a brand name doesn't tell you whose modules they're using particularly, altho if it were Purifi or Hypex (or even ICEpower) modules they'd probably be bragging about it.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hypex modules of the purported power of the OP's amp will set you back 760 euros. You then have to furnish a power supply, case sockets, and controls etc.

However Hypex amps are a bench mark in the emerging technology.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just saying a brand name doesn't tell you whose modules they're using particularly, altho if it were Purifi or Hypex (or even ICEpower) modules they'd probably be bragging about it.....
If they were hypex, three units would not have gone into protection right out of the box. If you look on Amazon reviews, these OSD amps seem to have a pretty short half life.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I would lean towards setup. I would check the settings. 70 and 120vac. Make sure there are no jumpers or transportation devices installed that you have to remove or install. Then make sure there is a load hooked to the amps and a source for playback.

I don't plug anything in without checking the voltage settings first. I use both 120vac and 220/240 60hz single phase. I use Behringer NU12000. 1 is 120vac, 3 are 220/240. They are all for bass duty. I can't remember what they do when they are set wrong. I know they DON'T blow up.. :)

Set up is a better bet. Good luck.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If they were hypex, three units would not have gone into protection right out of the box. If you look on Amazon reviews, these OSD amps seem to have a pretty short half life.
Well I'm sure someone with talent could even use a hypex module and fail with its execution on the other hand. I've been trying to remember what OSD was formerly known as....but still doubt the basic amp execution/brand is the issue here.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well I'm sure someone with talent could even use a hypex module and fail with its execution on the other hand. I've been trying to remember what OSD was formerly known as....but still doubt the basic amp execution/brand is the issue here.
How about no available manufacturer's published real specs on their products, or serious review by anyone? That looks really suspicious to me. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about no available published real specs on their products, or serious review by anyone? That looks really suspicious to me. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole!
Either would I but I didn't do the shopping nor the selling. I would like to see details of the whole Crutchfield package and plans, tho.

There is this OSD review

In looking for that someone mentioned OSD puts out something equivalent to the Outlaw X5000...and perhaps that's what I think I'm thinking of, some amps they sell that appear to be very similar to other brands....

W

Wetlands

Audiophyte
The setup is very misleading the install manual shows diagrams that don't really match what the Amp says and the manual says the led light is supposed to be blue for normal op and red for error, but I have green and yellow so not sure what that means. It also says that a transformer needs to be wired in parallel to each speaker.
I thought they were built-in because I had to manually set the watts and voltage.
I'm not real savvy on this subject but these amps were $700ea.
There are certainly other brands to be had For similar price so I would like to think these aren't junk. I didn't have a budget set so it wasn't like this was my only option because it was in my price range, I just said I wanted the best setup for my application, because they offer design services when you submit details and plans for the project. I would assume they know how to design a system well otherwise it would be safe to say there would be tons of court battles and a lot of unhappy customers.
System setup is first zone- 16 Yamaha vxc6w and 2- 10" in ceiling subs (sound tube)
Second zone 4- outdoor JBL control HST and 1 Klipsch outdoor sub CA-800TSW
Third zone 2- JBL outdoor control 29 and 1 Klipsch outdoor CA-800TSW
Fourth zone is just 4- JBL control HST
4- OSD XPA 500
1- Atlas Atmosphere 4 zone processor
1- Sonos port.
If I find an answer tomorrow I will post what it is in case some unlucky person is having a party for 150 people on the 4th of July and finds themselves not having any music like me.....
I am not complaining at all lol I will just use a boombox haha I find humor in the situation kinda... but we are fortunate enough to be able to still spend the day with friends and family, A lot of people do not have that luxury like our brave soldiers who have fought and are fighting for our country to be the way it is so we can maintain our lifestyles and be able to buy things like... I don't know... speakers.
Thank you everyone for your input and have a fun and safe 4th.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis