Option of Tinning Copper Wire or Using Silver Solder

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
As much as the most of us mess with our audio gear, I doubt it's going to be an issue. As it is, the hobby has us sitting around like the Maytag repairman waiting for something to go wrong. The fact that we have squeezed what we have out of this thread is evidence of just that. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have never found any benefit to tinning wire ends beyond keeping the wire strands together. There is zero audio benefit. Unless you are in a moist environment, oxidation isn't a huge concern either and if it is, tinning won't fully prevent it on speaker wire IMO. With the exception of a few PVC jacketed cables (chemicals in the PVC itself can cause tarnishing), I've never had speaker wire tarnish unless it was outside.
Bare copper will oxidize with time and tin solder won't oxidize as easily. But l actually prefer to use silver solder to tin the wire ends since silver oxide is as conductive as the non oxidized silver.

Silver solder is more costly than the usual tin-lead solder, but you have the above advantage including the protection from possible short circuits caused by stray strands IMO.:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Silver tarnishes faster than anything else :) I have some too and use it for x-over wiring; it is still mostly tin.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The situation would appear to be similar whether the wire end is tinned or not. So, what is all that fuss about cold flow of solder joint then?
It's not about the tin plating of individual wire strands. It's about the soft solder joining them together.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Silver tarnishes faster than anything else :) I have some too and use it for x-over wiring; it is still mostly tin.
Yes, silver does tarnish easily but, as mentioned previously, its oxide is an excellent conductor, better than copper or gold.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think getting a better "crush" on bare copper strands yields more benefit than any tinning. I've manufactured electronics, and there are cases where you want to tin, but imo speaker wire ends is not such a place. And also, diligence paid to loose strands should eliminate such issues as shorting.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I think getting a better "crush" on bare copper strands yields more benefit than any tinning. I've manufactured electronics, and there are cases where you want to tin, but imo speaker wire ends is not such a place. And also, diligence paid to loose strands should eliminate such issues as shorting.
Parasound recommend tinning bare speaker wires in the owner's manuals which they print for their power amps, to prevent the copper from oxidizing.

Also, if you tin the wires with silver solder, you cannot get a better contact than with silver, or silver oxide which conducts as well as non tarnished silver.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with you about the silver solder which contains mostly tin, but IMO, the silver might help to protect some of the tin content to oxidize. One thing for sure, tin does not oxidize as fast as copper.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Most people that do a lot of soldering will tell you that the 60/40 Solder is the preferred choice. It is easier to work with and provides a better long-term mechanical connection. Melts at a lower temp, so you are less likely to damage heat sensitive components or have a cold solder joint.

You would typically only choose Ag solder for specialized applications or if you need to meet RoHS requirements.

If you are clamping down on a Cu wire with a mechanical connection, do not tin the ends of the Cu wire. Tinned ends will be an inferior connection for a mechanical clamp. If you do tin the ends, you may need to come back and remove any residual flux. But, again, that is not the recommendation.

Pre-tin the ends for easier work when making a soldered connection.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I also want to add, the BEST method for making permanent connections is Ultra-Sonic Welding. Blue Jeans Cables uses this technique.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Yes Ultra-Sonic Welding is great, but setup equipment is very expensive (maybe $25,000) and only practicable with large connects like speaker and AC power. Kurt Denke of Blue Jeans Cable just did a blog on the subject.

A

Ampdog

Audioholic
I worked in a research lab where we tested for creep of solder under pressure under normal conditions. It does take perhaps a week, but solder does creep - enough to cause a loose connection.

Regarding the quoted Belden article earlier. Respectfully, I fear the writer is a mite over cautious regarding skin effect. It has no influence on audio; only begins to make a difference near 1 MHz (although as I recall he does mention that frequency). There is also qualitive reference only to the effect of copper-oxide. Figures will show that some pretty heavy oxidization needs to occur before there will be an audible effect. (One does not talk about flea wire, of course.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis