Optimus 12” passive repair box?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ll get pics soon but the box seems to had cracked a little but I used super glue so it’s still functional.
The port is terrible not sure if using an actual port tube .
100w sub but it’s passive so not sure if there are any cheap amps you could use with it or if it’s worth fixing ?
Box seems like the weak link , but it looks easily repairable .
Not sure how to get the parameters to design a port tube though ... and length etc ..
probably just some cheap fixes , not going to invest too much in such a entry level sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It’s not as damaged as I thought just old , worn missing parts ..

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It’s not as damaged as I thought just old , worn missing parts ..

Old low watt passive sub , had it hooked to onkyo 818 surround channel and it nearly blew it up.
Maybe a low wattage amp would work better or run it from a front channel ?

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I don't get it. I feel like my dog just brought me a dead possum.
Would I be better off just printing out possum pictures, putting those on it and cover it with plexiglass ha haha
??
It this thing a lost cause should I rebuild / repair it or just try and sell it for like $50 on fbook?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't get it. I feel like my dog just brought me a dead possum.
I swore I wasn't going to reply to any more of these threads but this was too funny not to! Ha ha!

"Uh, good... boy? Jo-Bob, go get the shovel... and noob might need some shots."

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Lost cause, yeah. Plenty of modern diy sub options more worthy of your time. Rehabbing that old rat shack sub would require a pretty deep dive into speaker engineering. I support you in doing that, it's a great enhancer of our hobby to understand how it all works and build stuff you'll enjoy the heck out of. But that driver is probably the last thing you would want to use. Even if you know the t/s parameters, design the appropriate enclosure, and actually build it, the results will only be as good as that cheap 30 year old driver can deliver. If you're going to go to the trouble, make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I just wanted to know if it’s worth fixing or if I’m better off just getting rid of it for a active sub ? Any cheap flea amps run 100rms ? That can power this thing? It needs its own amp

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Lost cause, yeah. Plenty of modern diy sub options more worthy of your time. Rehabbing that old rat shack sub would require a pretty deep dive into speaker engineering. I support you in doing that, it's a great enhancer of our hobby to understand how it all works and build stuff you'll enjoy the heck out of. But that driver is probably the last thing you would want to use. Even if you know the t/s parameters, design the appropriate enclosure, and actually build it, the results will only be as good as that cheap 30 year old driver can deliver. If you're going to go to the trouble, make it worthwhile.
Yeah it does look whimpy I didn’t know if it was the driver itself or the beaten down to hell sub box that’s decimated .

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just wanted to know if it’s worth fixing or if I’m better off just getting rid of it for a active sub ? Any cheap flea amps run 100rms ? That can power this thing? It needs its own amp

The amp that could power this thing would be worth far more then this thing. It would be a waste of an amp.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I swore I wasn't going to reply to any more of these threads but this was too funny not to! Ha ha!

Hoot dang pogey!!!! We gots us a live wuun!!!
Weeeee yooooh!!!!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hoot dang pogey!!!! We gots us a live wuun!!!
Weeeee yooooh!!!!
It’s the only sub I am not convinced is a sub , box is so poorly tuned it sounds better if you seal it up ..
? Sub is out of use , I think it’s all just box design is why it’s terrible . I’ve not taken it apart or looked at driver , maybe I should . It looks like a speaker woofer not a sub ... !?

Corona beer can virus and bird flu season started ... cannot go anywhere

Putting driver Ina New box with another woofer maybe work? Maybe just sell it for cheap get rid of it .

I’ve got bookshelves speakers with deeper bass ...
keep on trying to sell it online then somewhere?

Last edited:
C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic

But seriously if you added an amp to this, it might thump...
once

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
once
I mean if it cannot handle onkyo 818 without nearly exploding... not much hope for this sad sad low end driver .. no wonder rat Shaq is extinct ...
Didn’t they make some decent speakers like Mach 1?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
once
I have a diy sub I built sealed and how could you port something like this without the parameters??

Putting it Ina better box maybe paired with another woofer or subwoofer would probably make use of it . This box looks fubar ???

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Any idea if specs and what type of driver is really in this sub ??
Could you put a different subwoofer in this box if it was reinforced? Fixed ?

It looks more like a regular woofer , a real sub is way more robust.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Any idea if specs and what type of driver is really in this sub ??
Could you put a different subwoofer in this box if it was reinforced? Fixed ?

It looks more like a regular woofer , a real sub is way more robust.
Dude, you've asked all these questions before. Our answers are not going to change....

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I used to have one of those. 2 actually. I had them on the B channel of my receiver, and my main towers sitting on top of them, connected to the A channel.

I guess I was already doing the "dual sub" thing over 20 years ago!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis