Optical input into headphones

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
In addition to the conventional RCA analog input, my Sennheiser RS175 wireless (radio frequency) headphones have a digital optical input as well. I am not using the optical input at present but does the fact that it is there mean that the base station has some sort of Digital to Analog converter? If so, I should be able to listen to music from a DAC-less CD Transport on the headphones without the use of an amp or soundbar?

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
The DAC is in the headphones. Sennheiser's site states the wireless signal is digital, so the DAC must be in the headset. This means you could connect the digital out from a transport to the base, letting the D/A conversion to occur in the headset.

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
Thanks. I tried the connections and it works superbly. I don't even have to unplug anything to change. For 'open' listening (via speakers), I simply have to switch the Sennheiser toggle to RCA and turn the soundbar on. The CD Transport then works using the soundbar's DAC. If I want to use headphones without disturbing others, I simply have to turn-off the soundbar and switch the toggle on the Sennheiser docking station to Optical. Excellent sound quality either way; sounds like the DAC on the Sennheiser is also superb.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis