Oppo to wind down and cease manufacturing

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
So I take it you don't trust them to complete warranty/service commitments?
Not necessarily, someone said they got on a list to buy a 205? Or maybe I misunderstood. I was just thinking they might be hard to get now

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ordered a 203 on Tuesday, got it yesterday (direct from Oppo). I don't think they're out of stock, they still show them on their website, but no buy button on the 205. Amazon still has the 203, but says the 205 is unavailable. Digital Dawn/Egret Electronics has sale prices for both models (search for her thread), don't know if she still has any left. I don't know if they've got their last shipment in....maybe @RichB knows...

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Fair enough. At least before Samsung's grabby hands, Harman was actually using science to engineer their products.
What? You don't think Samsung does not use science to engineer their products? That's a pretty bold statement that only someone who is familiar with Samsung's engineering and that of their competition could make. Are you such a person?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What? You don't think Samsung does not use science to engineer their products? That's a pretty bold statement that only someone who is familiar with Samsung's engineering and that of their competition could make. Are you such a person?
Well, they did let go much of the design team and moved it to China. Maybe they're just going with cheaper labor....but few approached Harman on R&D for speakers I think. Samsung not so much in that regard I think. Electronics they probably do well enough.

S

sterling shoote

My portable DAT died many years ago, but I still own a home recorder (Sony DTC 75ES), but I rarely use this machine. In fact, I only use it when copying a DAT to CD-R (I have a Fostex CR200 CD-R recorder, which also gets used to dub vinyl onto CD-R). The CR200 is, in effect a professional version of the Pioneer PD-R05, but the serial copy management system (SCMS) can be turned off. I have fewer than 100 homemade DAT tapes, and four pre-recorded DAT's that came with the DTC-75ES.
I had two of the DTC-75ES units, I donated them to my church. They worked well; but, SCMS was a distraction. Also had an HHB 850, which is similar to your Fostex. I got rid of that too but I regret it. Likely will eventually get a Tascam 901 CD Recorder for LP dubbing. I have experience with one and I like it better than LP to computer for some processes. Neat stuff.

S

sterling shoote

Well, they did let go much of the design team and moved it to China. Maybe they're just going with cheaper labor....but few approached Harman on R&D for speakers I think. Samsung not so much in that regard I think. Electronics they probably do well enough.
I'm confused. Why would Samsung not want to use human resources from all of its properties to realize its global vision?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm confused. Why would Samsung not want to use human resources from all of its properties to realize its global vision?
I assume it is also cost. MCode posted this in the FTC power thread where I got the info about the letting go of staff:

Interesting product idea...:confused:
But will never happen under Samsung leadership..
Samsung is only interested in the high profit $ for 12V OE infotainment systems. We ran many new product development projects for HK & JBL including the 3490..
But now their only interest in consumer audio is either BT speakers, headphones or licensing their DSP in laptop computers. They had a great opportunity to go after a bigger share of the audio/hi-fi biz but passed when they deleted their talented USA audio development team and shifted all projects to Shenzhen China.
Perhaps with the procurement of Arcam they :eek: to re-enter the consumer audio biz but for now they will stay only in the high end brand markets of Mark Levinson, JBL Synthesis, Lexicon and Revel mainly to support the respective brand images used in their highly profitable automotive OE biz..

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
And now, the dealer that I recently ordered my UDP-205 from (www.220-electronics.com) for $1499 has sunk to an exploitative new low. Aprl 3rd ($1499), April 5th ($2600), April 6th ($3499).
Couldn't Oppo sell off their patents and designs to another manufacturer? It would bring in some revenue. Obviously, people who collect audiophile "Physical Product" are in a panic mode.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
And now, the dealer that I recently ordered my UDP-205 from (www.220-electronics.com) for $1499 has sunk to an exploitative new low. Aprl 3rd ($1499), April 5th ($2600), April 6th ($3499).
Couldn't Oppo sell off their patents and designs to another manufacturer? It would bring in some revenue. Obviously, people who collect audiophile "Physical Product" are in a panic mode.
These are the modded region free models? Interesting thought about someone picking up where Oppo left off....probably not enough money in it to make that very interesting. I could rather see someone killing the brand off if Oppo hadn't already done so....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Samsung TVs aren't bad, especially mid and top models, but I've heard tons of complaints about other Samsung home appliances like fridges, washing machines, and dryers.

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I ordered a 203 on Tuesday, got it yesterday (direct from Oppo). I don't think they're out of stock, they still show them on their website, but no buy button on the 205. Amazon still has the 203, but says the 205 is unavailable. Digital Dawn/Egret Electronics has sale prices for both models (search for her thread), don't know if she still has any left. I don't know if they've got their last shipment in....maybe @RichB knows...
We can still get 203's. They ship directly from Oppo to you. Only $495 plus shipping.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Samsung TVs aren't bad, especially mid and top models, but I've heard tons of complaints about other Samsung home appliances like fridges, washing machines, and dryers.
You have that right. Just talk to the repair men. For home appliances they are pretty much junk.

That firm has been proved to be knee deep in corruption. At present, I would touch nothing from that quarter.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would personally not buy an Oppo product at this time.

If my Oppo player were to bite the dust, I would replace it with this.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would personally not buy an Oppo product at this time.

If my Oppo player were to bite the dust, I would replace it with this.

That is surprising to me, but I know nothing of the Cambridge unit!
What is your reason?
Warranty support?
Capability of unit?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis