Oppo Releases New DV-970HD DVD Player for $149!

J

JackT

Audioholic
I'm interested in how it compares to the Panasonic DVD-S97.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Levesque,

I would appreciate if you can post your finding on the 480i HDMI signal when you get it tomorrow.

S

SiliconValley

Audiophyte
Scott, don't regrets your purchase of the OPDV971H. The OPDV971H is still the highest rated DVD player. I own one for more than half year now and am very hapy for its performance.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Oppo 971 as far as P/Q was almost equal to the lexicon rt 20 at a cost of $2500.00 ++ only diff. is the lexicon was givien the edge because of picture controls. Nuff said!!

M

Matt1976

Audiophyte
Oppo 970 will use Media Tek chip MT1389EE for de-interlacing.

Here are some DVD players using MediaTek chips for de-interlacing.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=&manufacturer=0&maxprice=0&deInt=Mediatek&mpeg=0

Secrets seems to believe that implementation of the MediaTek chip is key, but if implemented properly you will get above-average de-interlacing. Based on Oppo's implementation of the Genesis chip, I think people will be in relatively good hands.

And, Secrets chooses the MediaTek chip as one of their favorite chips for MPEG decoding, which is probably why it was chosen for this player. I think this really is being marketed at the growing segment of consumers who want a great 480i transport with good responsiveness for not too much dough. More money to spend on the scaler that way...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Would OPPO be able to allow the OPDV971H to output 480i over DVI/DVI-HDMI via a firmware upgrade?

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
SiliconValley said:
Scott, don't regrets your purchase of the OPDV971H. The OPDV971H is still the highest rated DVD player. I own one for more than half year now and am very hapy for its performance.
I received my 971H today and in no way do I regret my purchase, I'm sorry for doubting the purchase in the first place. This player is great. Huge upgrade from the Xbox. I watched LOTR Return of the King and I am very very happy with the performance considering I've seen the movie multiple times. It has never looked this good.

-Scott

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Relax guys, we are talking about a $149 DVD player that does everything. How well it does it all is yet to be determined, but hey it's $149 NOT
$2K and Oppo's first player faired pretty well, don't you think:)
Besides the 970 should do better than the 971 when coupled with a display that tends towards Macroblocking.....
BTW does anybody here have a recommended outboard video processor to use with the Oppo 970's 480i output via HDMi and a Panny plasma that I believe doesn't accept it's native resolution of 768:confused:

geoh

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Geoh said:
BTW does anybody here have a recommended outboard video processor to use with the Oppo 970's 480i output via HDMi and a Panny plasma that I believe doesn't accept it's native resolution of 768:confused:

geoh
??? I'm not sure what you mean by that. If your concern is only SD DVD, DVDO VP 30 is cost effective and user friendly.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
GlocksRock said:
Would OPPO be able to allow the OPDV971H to output 480i over DVI/DVI-HDMI via a firmware upgrade?
You can't pass 480i via DVI. Although Lumagen can accept 480i thru DVI.

T

tejax

Audioholic Intern
ned said:
You can't pass 480i via DVI. Although Lumagen can accept 480i thru DVI.
The iscan hd+ also accepts 480i via DVI, but only for RGB 4:4:4 colorspace. The 970hd can do this (just need a hdmi to dvi cable).
BTW: when is the 970hd review due by the audioholics folks?
regards

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Is anybody using the oppo 971 player for dvd audio.Just curious is it worth while or not!!

T

Trev19

Audiophyte
First post yay.

I got a question, Can this replace my DVP-NC685 Sony SACD/DVD/CD player and will it be better, I like to play music and watch dvd's and also will DTS work with my digital amplifier.

Also, Can it Play MLP Lossless. Thanks, Trev.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
I'm excited about the new OPPO. I've been saying that the 971 looked like a great player but I couldn't understand why such a great player didn't support SACD or DVD-A. Now this one does!

I'm still going to wait until the review comes out, though, so I know the video quality is what I expect it to be.

D

davelee98

Audioholic Intern
Cost / Benefit -- Easy Choice for $150

jcsprankle said:
I'm excited about the new OPPO. I've been saying that the 971 looked like a great player but I couldn't understand why such a great player didn't support SACD or DVD-A. Now this one does!

I'm still going to wait until the review comes out, though, so I know the video quality is what I expect it to be.
I ordered the new OPPO 970 -- should have it in hand in a week. For $150, the video doesn't have to be that good to make it worthwhile -- I see almost no downside. I'm going to use it as a temporary player until the HD format wars settle down. It's replacing a slowly failing Sony DVP-7000 (skipping due to weak laser) -- one of the first DVD players made.

I don't really care that it doesn't upscale very well. Any decent HDTV should have a good scaler built-in. My Samsung 50" DLP 1080p set appears to do a decent job based on the picture that I get when I route the component video from the DVP-7000 into the TV.

T

Trev19

Audiophyte
Should i wait for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo or get this?? need help Ty.

Trev19 said:
Should i wait for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo or get this??
That depends. Do you want to spend $150 this year and get a universal player or wait until late next year and spend $1500+ for one that doesn't handle SACD but looks really good with all 53 discs that have been released for it so far? :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis