Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have the UD7007 and have had the drive mechanism replaced two times already because it would make a loud vibration noise on blu-rays. My 4k blu-ray will not be Marantz when it comes out that much is a given.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
I had a bad experience with an Oppo player, as when it was delivered it was "DOA" but i must say Oppo did everything to help me in getting my money back along with the store that i bought it from. In the end i did go high end and bought the Denon DVDA1UD. I did learn from it though a great lesson and that is never ever order a product like that over the internet and have it delivered because no matter what company makes it there is always a chance something can go wrong.Always pick it up yourself if you can. Also too most of these oppo players are modded at a later date which can also pose a problem. I am also well aware that nothing can go wrong as well as there are plenty of satisfied customers out there. After sales service is always a great starting point when looking for a source unit.We are living in a fast and constant changing world and the same goes for our products that we buy as they become throw away items due to changes and depreciating models even when they cost good money.I understand the frustration as we are not charity organizations and we tend to work hard for our money.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Really? You sure you're not overreacting to his overreaction?
-> Absolutely not. The repair work on his unit seems to have been mishandled, I don't think it justifies bashing anyone, except, perhaps, the repair guy who seems to have done a poor job.​

Guess we're lucky you're not a mod then.
-> Hmmm... Remember the scene in "Back to the future" when Marty tells the bus-boy about becoming mayor ? ;)

:p

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
-> Hmmm... Remember the scene in "Back to the future" when Marty tells the bus-boy about becoming mayor ? ;)

:p

I typically try not to escalate things, however I do not appreciate your idle threat.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I dunno, I have owned two OPPOs and currently own their flagship. They have never failed to get me thoroughly lubricated.

DJ

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
I typically try not to escalate things, however I do not appreciate your idle threat.

Then lighten-up. It's called a joke, and it's a non-threatening one at that.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If someone thinks everything electronic in this world is supposed to work forever needs to step back and look around their home or even at their car.

PS: I own a OPPO 83, 93 and 105D never had a problem with the 83. My 93 had to go back to the shop for a display issue, fixed free by OPPO. The 105 is still going strong.
I also own a sony es5400 had the unit serviced by Sony after my CD got stuck
Had a Panny , lasted 4 months took it back got a new one, still going strong.

Stuff breaks regardless of who makes it be it, audio, cars, camera equipment, microwaves TV's etc. etc.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Why we are still discussing this none issue. OP had clearly came here to troll and looks like he succeeded. Unless OP posts any meaningful response without insulting, I think if I were mod, I'd lock this thread. Such open provocation does do anyone any good.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Your thread seems to have been launched in an unfortunate fit of rage. Mods have been nice to you. I would have you banned for indecency.
Get off you high horse. Around here we actually enjoy a little indecency.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Being an expert on female arousal and indecency ... :D

Look, I'm down with telling the OP that Oppo is crap and recommending LG for all his electronics purchases in the future while I enjoy as many Oppo products as I can get my hands on.
Hey now don't you go insulting my phone. It's the best phone I've ever owned. I especially like how it vibrates when my posts get quoted on AH.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Why we are still discussing this none issue. OP had clearly came here to troll and looks like he succeeded. Unless OP posts any meaningful response without insulting, I think if I were mod, I'd lock this thread. Such open provocation does do anyone any good.
If that's a troll, and I'm not saying it isn't, boring troll is boring.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Maybe you have been using the Oppo, way, way too much and ran it down over a faster time of normal technical expediency when it should have lasted at least a good 10 or more years?

Players are so mass produced and cheap. I can't believe the service department changed $150.00 you could have brought 3 or 4 matched cheap players for that off eBay.

Also got to think about yourself and others in the home. Dust the final frontier. These are the voyages of the dust free fluffprise its 5 year mission to seek out new dust and skin to boldly go where no dust and skin has gone before.:D Your not alone on this. I've had my fair share of breakdowns.

Phillips Bluray player brand new broke-down after a year due a micro-processing chip that was not repairable and even though it was 13 or so months way past warranty, and I have way with words on the phone. I was able to get Phillips to send me a brand new bluray player and some free bluray titles. The player still works after 4 or so years and I have second bluray player Sony as some discs play-up on other players it happens.

Yes we may not see it under normal light but there is dust floating around in the room and all that over years gets inside the player.

Also skin off your fingers or scratching your head you can add a few hairs to the player. Well now its a hairy player. :p I'm not kidding.

If you have pets dogs and cats living together even a cat, you'd have hairs on the floor daily that need vacuuming daily!! All that can contribute to a player luck of functioning or breaking down and servicing.

If you was breathing a huge amount of dust I mean a LOT you'd be coughing and chocking within seconds.

If you don't believe. Everyone. Get a thin piece of card and slip it between the keys on your keyboard you'll lift out a enough hair to make pillow out of it. As well as dead skin maybe a few lifeforms as bugs I mean I seen, and freaked me out. And you often why keyboards fail after after while?

I'd make a room that is like a server room for the racks housing the amps crossovers EQ's patch bays clusters of AVR's and players in room that is temperature controlled and white ceramic floor that can be kept spotless clean of dust dirt and hairs. Yeah a white-room.

Last edited:
C

class a

Junior Audioholic
Two years ago the laser went out on my Oppo 83SE. I sent it back to Oppo even though it was out of warranty to try and fix it. Total cost the price of shipping. Still working today. Excellent company and customer service.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think oppo is over priced, I cant seem to see or hear a difference between a $1500 dvd player and a $150 one? I suck... :(

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
I currently have a 8-9 year old Pioneer Elite DV-46AV still going strong in my garage system.
I gave away a Panasonic RP-91 (11 yo) last year to a friend for his garage stereo.

On the other hand my Blu-Ray player experience has been terrible.
Panny, LG, Samsung, Sharp, none lasted more than 3 months past the 90 day to one year warranties they had.

But my 2 Oppos are still going strong!

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
I own two Oppo Blu-ray players(BDP-83 & BDP-105D, both modified "region-code-free" units), and I'm delighted with them. The BDP-105D was obtained less than 2 months ago, and I have yet to fully explore its more exotic features(The DSL internet service in my area is too poor for any type of streaming, but that's O.K., since I have a huge music collection[accumulated in 49 years of collecting] and have no interest in renting music.) The BDP-83 already has 5 years of use on it. Of late, on the BDP-83, I've had an occasional skip when playing SACD's on the "Audio Fidelity" label(but no other SACD's), but if I scan back and play the same passage again, the BDP-83 plays it O.K. / Luckily, these "Audio Fidelity" discs play fine on the BDP-105D. Part of the reason why I've held onto my BDP-83, is that it can play a homemade SACD(A.K.A. SACD-R or ISO-SACD), whereas more recent Oppo's are "programmed" to refuse to play these discs. I suspect that Oppo was pressured by the music corporations to omit SACD-R playback ability.
Generally speaking, I think that Oppo makes very good products, but the manufacturing of any mass-produced product can result in an occasional lemon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis