OPPO BDP-95 Blu-ray Player First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Oppo BDP-95 still has all the other features of the Oppo BDP-93 including dual HDMI outputs, Marvell's Kyoto-G2 video processor, Netflix and Blockbuster support, and 3D compatibility. And this is what is so great about the new BDP-95: You don't have sacrifice the latest and greatest features to have state of the art audio. If all you really want is a great player with universal disc support (meaning it plays DVDs, CDs, Blu-rays, DVD-As, and SACDs plus lots more), 3D, and Netflix, the BDP-93 is a great choice. But if you are really worried about audio, specifically two channel audio, it's going to be really hard to beat the Oppo BDP-95. Considering the price (under a grand), it is probably impossible to beat.

Discuss "OPPO BDP-95 Blu-ray Player First Look" here. Read the article.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
has anyone heard if you can use it as a standalone dac?

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
Schizoid

And I was about to spring for the 83SE. Now I wonder if should I wait for the 95?

A basic question I have about both Oppo models, which have the separate stereo outputs, is how can I take advantage of the stereo section when I'm listening to a stereo source and the multichannel outputs when I'm listening to a multichannel source? I mean what kind of equipment (preamp or whatever) would I need to do that? (Sorry, but I don't want to go down the receiver road.) Any specific equipment ideas/names would help. Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
And I was about to spring for the 83SE. Now I wonder if should I wait for the 95?
The 83 and SE are already discontinued, so you don't really have a choice :)

A basic question I have about both Oppo models, which have the separate stereo outputs, is how can I take advantage of the stereo section when I'm listening to a stereo source and the multichannel outputs when I'm listening to a multichannel source? I mean what kind of equipment (preamp or whatever) would I need to do that? (Sorry, but I don't want to go down the receiver road.) Any specific equipment ideas/names would help. Thanks.
The multichannel inputs and a stereo input are not the same connections on the reicever, so you simply connect both to their respective inputs and switch via the receiver or pre/pro. Every receiver or pre/pro on the market can do this AFAIK. I have been using my SE like this for a year.

FWIW, I don't get your not wanting to use a receiver because using one as a pre/pro works just fine.

If you are only doing stereo listening, you won't use the multichannel outputs.

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
Schizoid

Thanks j_garcia. I went to oppo's site and saw that the 83SE is discontinued, so, as you say, I have no choice. A bit strange but I don't really mind waiting a couple of months.

I understand what you're saying about the inputs to the pre/pro. Kind of obvious I suppose but I'm using older equipment that doesn't have that capability. (I've been listening to multichannel audio discs in quad using two stereo units. Works reasonably well, though dated to be sure. :))

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
I'm still waiting for the model 90 to be reveiled. Two HDMI outputs would be ideal. One output would connect directly to the TV for watching movies w/o use of a receiver as well as a stellar upconverter (from the Blu-Ray player itself) and the other connected to a receiver with a stellar upconverter. Preferably that would mean HQV, Anchor Bay, and now Marvell. As far as I know, only Pioneer offers Marvell's chip for "big name' receivers. I have not checked Yamaha nad i know as of right now Denon only offers Anchor Bay except for the Realta (HQV) chip in its flagship receiver.

But, alas, all this wil be for "fun" as I already bought Oppo's 83 model last year. Great unit but if only I can see the future.

/sigh

Z

Ziontrain

Audioholic Intern
Looks to me like this is 100% bragging rights appeal. There isnt anything in there that would produce an audible improvement over the 93 model. So thats like 4-500 bucks down the drain.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Looks to me like this is 100% bragging rights appeal. There isnt anything in there that would produce an audible improvement over the 93 model. So thats like 4-500 bucks down the drain.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. I'd expect a higher level of built quality from the BDP-95 overall and the apperance is certainly nice. I would also expect a lower level of transport noise emitting from the unit during playback. Is it all worth $500 more?...maybe not to everyone. At least they aren't charging $2500 more for the exact same thing.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
has anyone heard if you can use it as a standalone dac?
Why?? Still learning about this. I have my BRDP HDMI (Bitstreaming Audio setting) to my HD Onkyo A/V Receiver am I not getting good 2 channel signal to my Onkyo from my Samsung BPDP? I have a stand alone DAC for my Revox R2R but was told with my new Onkyo I don't need it. RCA from Onkyo straight to my R2R. Right now I have a seperate DAC inline to the Revox. Did I waste my money???

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
Why?? Still learning about this. I have my BRDP HDMI (Bitstreaming Audio setting) to my HD Onkyo A/V Receiver am I not getting good 2 channel signal to my Onkyo from my Samsung BPDP? I have a stand alone DAC for my Revox R2R but was told with my new Onkyo I don't need it. RCA from Onkyo straight to my R2R. Right now I have a seperate DAC inline to the Revox. Did I waste my money???
nope, you didn't waste your money. the thing is i was thinking about upgrading my BD player and also i am probably going to get an extenal DAC so it would be killing 2 birds with one stone. also, just from a pure marketing viewpoint a lot of people that are spending $1000 easy on an external dac would be awfully tempted by and external dac that also happens to play BD.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand the E9018 will be used in the 95. Is it an upgrade to the one in the 83SE?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I found the answer to the question I asked about the 95's DAC, should google first before asking.:eek:

R

rainfire

Audiophyte
I found the answer to the question I asked about the 95's DAC, should google first before asking.:eek:
to complete your post for the benefit of others who might have the same question:

• BDP-83SE: ES9016 (stereo output) & ES9006 (7.1 output)
  • BDP-95: ES9018 (stereo output) & ES9018 (7.1 output)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
to complete your post for the benefit of others who might have the same question:

• BDP-83SE: ES9016 (stereo output) & ES9006 (7.1 output)
  • BDP-95: ES9018 (stereo output) & ES9018 (7.1 output)
I am forced to consider the 95 now since I will be losing the Dlink soon and my player can only pass SACD via Dlink or analog. Its HDMI can only do DVD-A. The ES9018 specs are definitely better than the 1796 in my Denon whereas the ES9006 is only marginally better. I am not sure if the higher end DAC would result in audible improvements though.

inmypjs

inmypjs

Junior Audioholic
I just bought the Pioneer SC-25. Would buying the BDP-95 be redundant since my receiver already takes care of the audio? Will the BDP-93 suffice?

So the BSP-95 has better 2-channel output, which means if you are planning to use your home theater as your listening room for music then I guess it's cheaper to do so having only one player to do both. Otherwise, get the BDP-93 for HT and then buy a different DVD-A/SACD player for your music room. Is this correct?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
BDP-83 Transport Issue

What is the issue about the Disc transport? By Disc transport are folks talking about the tray that comes out and grabs the disc? IS the issue that it is noisy? I have the BDP-83 but I can't figure out what the issues are that others are having.

I too feel that Oppo has left us 83 owners in the lurch as there hasn't been any new firmware, and I'm having to delete persistent data to deal with the issue of discs not loading after leaving the main menu.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
I too feel that Oppo has left us 83 owners in the lurch as there hasn't been any new firmware, and I'm having to delete persistent data to deal with the issue of discs not loading after leaving the main menu.
New firmware for the 83 is supposed to be officially released in the next month. It's currently in beta testing.
-Brad

I

import_jja

Audiophyte
Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this-- the 95 is now available for pre-orders for those of us who signed up for email notification. Retail price $999 and early-release shipping dates are Feb 1-4. The product page states general availability for early March.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this-- the 95 is now available for pre-orders for those of us who signed up for email notification. Retail price $999 and early-release shipping dates are Feb 1-4. The product page states general availability for early March.
How much was the 83 SE at launch time?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis