Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
The key word here is "apparent". Who is your source? I sure hope it is not true otherwise it is a shame because even Samsung can do better. It has been long and few in between but at least my P2550 has been getting updates once a year or so.
Because their last "Beta" updates for previous models were never reworked to become "official" updates after an abnormally long amount of time. As for myself, I didn't take the "beta" firmware updates due to cautioning(on Oppo's website) that the "beta" update might not work properly.

G

Guavamanh

Junior Audioholic
I currently have the Yamaha RX-A2000 and thinking about getting the OPPO BDP-93. Just wondering what your thoughts were regarding the video processing... one of the reasons why I bought the A2000 over the A1000 was because of the "HQV Vida processor". However it seems as though the OPPO BDP-93 has the "Marvell QDEO Kyoti-G2 88DE2750" chip.

So if I bought the OPPO, would it be redundant to pass the video through the receiver or would I connect it straight to the TV with HDMI and use the dual HDMI to send audio to the receiver?

And since you're reading this, any thoughts on the Yamaha RX-A2000 vs the Emotiva UMC-1 + UPA-7 combo? Been getting a little buyer's remorse on the Yamaha, but I guess its a little too late to change my mind

Also, what are the pros and cons of using digital output vs. analogue output from the OPPO BDP-93 to the receiver? Found this: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/digital-versus-analog.htm What do you guys think?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So if I bought the OPPO, would it be redundant to pass the video through the receiver or would I connect it straight to the TV with HDMI and use the dual HDMI to send audio to the receiver?
I would still pass the video through the AVR for the sake of convenience, but you definitely should turn the video processing off so it will simply pass the 1080p signal from the Oppo through without doing anything to it.

And since you're reading this, any thoughts on the Yamaha RX-A2000 vs the Emotiva UMC-1 + UPA-7 combo? Been getting a little buyer's remorse on the Yamaha, but I guess its a little too late to change my mind
I think you made the right decision, if you need more power you could just spend $529 and get yourself an Emotiva XPA-3 and be done with it.

Also, what are the pros and cons of using digital output vs. analogue output from the OPPO BDP-93 to the receiver? Found this: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/digital-versus-analog.htm What do you guys think?
I see no pros using the analog output from the BDP-93. If you had the BDP-95 and golden ears then yes, otherwise I am pretty sure the DACs in the Yamaha are equal or better than those in the BDP-93.

I am bias, in the sense that I see no point in having HQV, Marvel or ABT in an AVR, but the fact that you now have the HQV vida in your AVR, why do you still think you need to spend $499 on the Oppo? If you enjoy SACD and DVDA then okay, that would be a good reason. Otherwise, save the money and spend it on the fantastic Emotiva deal on the XPA-3. Even if you don't need the power it does not hurt to have some extra headroom for your speakers.

B

Bass Bum

Audioholic Intern
Based on the Audioholics review of the Yamaha RX-A3000 (same HQV Vida as the A2000) and how it aced the video processing test (130/130 and 100/100) I would have no issue letting an A2000 handle the video processing. That is a great AVR and I will soon own it or the A3000.

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
Because their last "Beta" updates for previous models were never reworked to become "official" updates after an abnormally long amount of time. As for myself, I didn't take the "beta" firmware updates due to cautioning(on Oppo's website) that the "beta" update might not work properly.
This is what troubles me as an owner of an 83. The last official release was what, in May? The beta was in August. I guess Oppo considers the beta to be unsatisfactory, and the last official I guess is not up to their standards either. So, neither version is up to snuff.

I understand that Oppo needed to drive forward the release of the 93, but they've left their 83 customers out in the cold.

I'm not plunking down a dime for the 93, as I have read that dvd playback is at least equal to or, in some reports from owners, not quite as good as the AB in the 83.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
When is Audioholics going to be doing an official review of the player? I'd like to see how it compares to the BDP-83.

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
Pissed, Was not even offered discount on upgrade

I own the BP-83 and 6 months after I bought it the 93 comes out. Why can't they offer a discount for an upgrade. Why are they also leaving us 83 owners out in the cold and not improving the firmware anymore. The 83 was outdated before it even came out and no discount on the 93 or upgrade option, this is my only complaint with OPPO:mad:

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
I own the BP-83 and 6 months after I bought it the 93 comes out. Why can't they offer a discount for an upgrade.
Which companies do you know that do this? I'm sure there are a few that exist, but I don't know of them. No computer company or television manufacture does this that I know of, so I don't really understand the expectation of Oppo to do so. If you wanted to upgrade your Pioneer receiver or TV (when Pioneer was still making them), Pioneer wouldn't have given you a discount to upgrade. Not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't get the expectation of Oppo here to give upgrade discounts.

A

audioman

Enthusiast
I am a cd/dvd player junkie almost as much as a big time loudspeaker junkie which I have just about most of the major unconventional designs like electrostats, planars, ribbons, horns, line source like ohm, magnepan,acoustat, eminent tech,klipsch, bic, linaeum. I just collect them even if I don't take them out of the box? I still haven't opened my discontinued bdp 83 I got when I was on the waiting list in 2009 since I was deployed in the army, I just bought a bdp 93 and about to get a bdp 95 simply because I am curious of the advanced DACS used on the audio, even though I have TWO awesome cdp's, a MODIFIED NAD C 542 by R.A.M making it competitive to the $5000 cdp big boys like wadia which is so darn musical, I mean you can hear everything recorded especially with dakiom feedback stabilizers and a grant fidelity 427 tube player which has the BLUE LASER which is the best form of laser pickup, more accurate then the conventional red laser found in most cdps. There is never an END to audio advancement. Something always gets the music enthusiast curious even though they thought they're at the pinnacle of musical nirvana in their acquired equipment

Last edited:
A

audioman

Enthusiast
OPPO is really catered for audiophiles WHO can afford to PURCHASE new equipment every year. They are not anymore different then many of the major manufacturers who seem to come out with a new advance version of a highly praised model. Example, pioneer elites, SC 27, the 37 replaced it and I got that. Another one is EPSON 8500UB projector top rated with the panasonic ae 4000u, as soon as I got it on the same week in 2010 they decided to come out with the 8700, which I also ended getting. They know if you're a hobbyist and can afford it, it's expected you're going to purchase the new model. It's the same for loudspeaker manufacturers but not as frequent. I just got the bdp 93, but a few months later the bdp 95 comes out, and because of the audio DACS, it's hard not to get it. I will probably get that too since some of us have multiple systems. I have 3 hd projectors and 3 ht receivers meaning three systems, and I'm not even including my audio only systems. I'm small compared to some of the other audiophiles who have much more systems than I do. Companies like these base their releases on new models because of dedicated hobbyiest in both audio and audio/video. They cater to both the mass consumer and the audiophile

A

audioman

Enthusiast
my equipment

current owner of oppo bdp 83 and 93, and soon to be bdp 95.
Three HT systems, sunfire theater grand 2 processor and amp, svs sub, ohm walsh 4x0/200 mk 2, pro 200 sound cylinder for center,and 2x0 for surround on all surround system. Using oppo bdp 83 blu ray player, grant fidelity tube 427 cdp

NAD T 773 dcm 15 inch dual subs, magnepan 2.5r, mglrs-1 for surrounds, eminent technology lft 8a push pull planar for second front speakers, linaeum center speaker, klipsch ss 5 for back surrounds. using kenwood sovereign 5700 dvd player 5 disc multi changer, NAD C-542 with R.A.M modified cdp with yaqin CD 3 tube buffer

PIONEER SC 37 BIC acoustech soundbar with 12 inch sub, using additional sunfire crm-2 fronts and klipsch rb 51 bookshelf for fronts and additional optimus linaeum for rear backs and using OPPO BDP 93 blu ray

stereo only:
various: CARVER TFM 500X, TFM 45, TFM 35, 1.5T, 400T amps, C-4000T, C-16, C-5 preamps, shanling 300 cdp with yaqin cd 2 tube buffer,
loudspeakers are acoustat spectra 33, srslab klayman signature, ohm walsh 300 mk 2

sound processors on all equipment used,
DBX 3BX DS expander
BBE 362W sonic maximizer
PEAVEY kosmos v2 maximizer
APEX 204 aurel exciter with big bottom
srslabs pro 210 spatial enhancer
acoustic research tds 202 enhancer
hughes/srslabs sound enhancer.
carver sonic holography
behringer/ equalizer and sonic maximizer
ART 31 band equalizers
THETA DIGITAL DAC

and accessories other center, surround speakers not mentioned

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
Thank you for being kind and tactful I was just venting. I already have a Roku box for netflix and other apps so I am ok there and am not interested in 3D tv because it hurts my eyes and some things should not be seen in 3Dplus I can not buy a new 3D Kuro. Other than that it is the new audio DACS I think I might be able to live without as I am one of those that is inbetween and has multiple hobbies. Right now I am tweaking out my car :). I will wait until the advance is truly worth it as I made all of my purchases in 09.
OPPO is really catered for audiophiles WHO can afford to PURCHASE new equipment every year. They are not anymore different then many of the major manufacturers who seem to come out with a new advance version of a highly praised model. Example, pioneer elites, SC 27, the 37 replaced it and I got that. Another one is EPSON 8500UB projector top rated with the panasonic ae 4000u, as soon as I got it on the same week in 2010 they decided to come out with the 8700, which I also ended getting. They know if you're a hobbyist and can afford it, it's expected you're going to purchase the new model. It's the same for loudspeaker manufacturers but not as frequent. I just got the bdp 93, but a few months later the bdp 95 comes out, and because of the audio DACS, it's hard not to get it. I will probably get that too since some of us have multiple systems. I have 3 hd projectors and 3 ht receivers meaning three systems, and I'm not even including my audio only systems. I'm small compared to some of the other audiophiles who have much more systems than I do. Companies like these base their releases on new models because of dedicated hobbyiest in both audio and audio/video. They cater to both the mass consumer and the audiophile

B

blackzarg

Junior Audioholic
I want to do what you do! :cool:

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I would like to learn more about Marvell's Kyoto-G2 video processor with the second generation Qdeo™ technology.

How does it compare to the older Anchor Bay video processor and the Realta HQV?

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Here's the first article I've seen with audio output measurements from the new Oppo players.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/1048-oppo-bdp-93-and-bdp-95-universal-3d-blu-ray-players-part-1-audio-performance.html?start=1

I'll post this in both the BDP-93 & 95 threads since it applies to both.
Great resource. I sure wish they had kept up their DVD player shootout list. It was a valuable resource and gave a lot of great info on player pros and cons.

ErnieM

ErnieM

Audioholic
shipping time

I just got the green light from my domestic financial advisor (wife) to order the 93.

What have been the lead times for shipping if one orders directly from Oppo? Or from other sources (although all other things considered I'd prefer to order direct).

K

k_lewis

Junior Audioholic
Just purchased a BDP-93 Nuforce Edition, I'm hoping it will serve well as a CD transport and save me some space in the equipment rack. All I have right now is a Pioneer Elite BD player and it is ok for movies but horrid for CD or HD audio. Anyone who presently owns a 93NE, let me know your impressions on audio quality as well as typical DVD/BD playback. Any tips / suggestions on optimal settings and connections for audio vs video is appreciated. My current processor is an Integra 80.1.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis