OPPO BDP-83SE Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Oppo BDP-83SE is a "Special Edition" version of the Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu player. For an extra $400 (yes, that almost doubles the price of the original) you get upgrades only a connoisseur could love. Namely, you're getting an upgraded audio section, a better power supply, RS-232 support, and a faceplate with the words "Special Edition" on the front. This player should surely be a hit with the esoteric crowd.

Discuss "OPPO BDP-83SE Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player First Look" here. Read the article.

majorloser

majorloser

It's still a heck of a lot cheaper than some of the companies offering mods to the OPPO Bluray player. I know ModWright offers mods for this unit:

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/14

Granted, these mods are far more involved compared to the OPPO upgrades.

NOTE: the prices don't include the cost of the player.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Wow...Did anybody notice that OppoDigital.com doesn't list the upconverting DVD players on their main website (only the support link has it) anymore?

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Wow...Did anybody notice that OppoDigital.com doesn't list the upconverting DVD players on their main website (only the support link has it) anymore?
Yeah, I noticed that over the weekend. Two and a half products now: an HDMI switch and two versions of the BDP-83. That's it.

They must be really confident in their product's sale-ability (granted, it is a great product), but, given how the economy is....

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Well, considering the current market, it probably makes sense not to invest in a large inventory of $170 DVD players when that price range is full of entry-level Blu-ray players this holiday season. They appear to have been selling the BDP-83 like crazy lately. I don't doubt that we'll see a lower-priced alternative from them eventually, but if they sold out of the 980H now I wouldn't expect them to build more just to keep something else on their site.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Tom, did you actually listen to it? I'm curious to know what sonic differences one can hear before I even consider shelling the dough out for the upgrade. (Although with my low- to mid-level gear, I'm uncertain whether I'd hear much difference or not. I am using analog for all audio except for plain ol' DD/DTS.)

cheers,
supervij

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
I'm telling you, cassette tapes with dolby noise reduction is the best.. It best dvd-a any day.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I posted a thread a while back. Oppo no longer makes SD DVD only players anymore.

I'm telling you, cassette tapes with dolby noise reduction is the best.. It best dvd-a any day.
Actually, REEL TO REEL is better than cassette.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
There's an SE thread on AVS. There are a few very favorable reviews. Mostly, it's alot of back and forth regarding stock vs SE/NE vs mods. I've liked what I've read so far about the $300 SE upgrade.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
It's still a heck of a lot cheaper than some of the companies offering mods to the OPPO Bluray player. I know ModWright offers mods for this unit:

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/14

Granted, these mods are far more involved compared to the OPPO upgrades.

NOTE: the prices don't include the cost of the player.
Denon might have to reduce the price of the DVD3800BDCI to compete. Does anyone else even make a blu-ray player at that price point anymore?

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I think I might have to jump onboard this one, come the first of the year. I'd like to A/B one of these with the Denon just for kicks.

DJ

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
I hope they go the other way with this next. Offer a stripped down version for non-audiophiles.
Though I think this player is going to create a upsurge in SACD orders this xmas (at least for our house :) ).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I hope they go the other way with this next. Offer a stripped down version for non-audiophiles.
Definitely. I think that it was a big loss when they removed the 980H from the market, as that was a really nice price point (IMO) for such a nice DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD player that could transmit audio from all of those over HDMI.

Hopefully they can get a universal player with blu-ray into the $250 zone.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I agree that a basic sort of player (a Blu-ray version of the 980H, essentially) makes a ton of sense - and I think it's probably more of a matter of "when" than "if" we'll see such a thing.

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
OppoBDP-83SE

Seems to be a complete waste of money paying double the price when it is not recommened to be used with HDMI

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Reading some of the reviews has put me in position to jump in this month. I'll pass on the Nuforce for now, but the benefits of the new analog board and DACs for the SE make it quite attactive at $3 bills. How bout you, John?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Now that I have my PS3 to watch movies while it is in the shop, I think I will. I was hoping the Emotiva pre/pro was going to be out by now, in which case I wouldn't have to worry about analog, but I think I will end up doing this anyway. I don't think that pre/pro will be out for at least another month. IIRC, the upgrade wasn't available until today.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Guys, I'd love to read your thoughts on the sonic upgrade going from 83 to 83SE, with respect to both the dedicated stereo analog output and the multi-channel analog output. Thanks!

cheers,
supervij

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis