OPPO BDP-83SE Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player First Look

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One of the additional selling points of the upgrade is I will be getting a fresh new year of warranty :) I just sent them an email asking if I need to somehow request the upgrade or if I just drop off the player.

H

Harrison476

Junior Audioholic
My BDP-83SE will be delievered today. Since I mostly use the analog outputs I am hoping this SE will be a + in my system.

I will compare the two players during the next few days.

I expect to sell my regular BD-83. Which is in mint condition and Eligible for the SE upgrade.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Placed my order earlier today. They are currently backordered until next week.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Placed my order earlier today. They are currently backordered until next week.
Nice. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I'm not a candidate for this because I'm using HDMI but I really want to know how much of a difference you can hear.

B

baudyaas

Audiophyte
I have just passed on the Nuforce for now, but the benefits of the new analog board and DACs for the SE make it quite attactive at $3 bills.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I should note that I also asked them about firmware and they said the SE has different firmware from the standard 83. At this time I presume it is up to date to the functionalities of the 83, with most DVD-A and SACD and certain BD playback issues resolved. They did say they do plan to have the firmware be the same for both players in the future though.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Fellow 83SE users that are using the analog outputs please post your experiences here. I found a measurable issue that will be included in my test report that is only exhibited on the 83SE version. I want to see if people are experiencing it. I won't give the details as I don't want to pre-bias your testing.

I

import_jja

Audiophyte
My BDP-83SE will be delievered today. Since I mostly use the analog outputs I am hoping this SE will be a + in my system.

I will compare the two players during the next few days.

I expect to sell my regular BD-83. Which is in mint condition and Eligible for the SE upgrade.
It's been a week- any comments? I had been planning on getting the 83 but the SE version came out so I'm waiting for real-world reviews on the differences. Any of the mystery problems gene mentioned? thx

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's been a week- any comments? I had been planning on getting the 83 but the SE version came out so I'm waiting for real-world reviews on the differences. Any of the mystery problems gene mentioned? thx
At this point, I'd advise getting the 83 model instead of the SE. I will publish a report of my findings next week as I already made Oppo aware and they are working on some fixes.

I offer some suggestions as workarounds for fellow 83SE owners until this is addressed by Oppo. Stay tuned...

F

fatswillie123

Audiophyte
New SE Firmware

I have an upgraded 83SE. I am running 2 channel analog, Musical Fidelity integrated amp, B & W 804's and a B & W sub. I was getting random infrequent audio dropouts, with CD, DVD-A and Blu-Ray...I have had a running email with OPPO the last few days. Today they emailed me the firmware update. Haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Hmmmmmm, crazy rule, I need 5 posts to be able to link...only have 3

A

audiotraine

Enthusiast
investigation

I want to get all the information I can on this software upgrade on the Oppo-BDP-83SE that I'm reading about. I don't want it if it don't work right :( even if it costs less.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I want to get all the information I can on this software upgrade on the Oppo-BDP-83SE that I'm reading about. I don't want it if it don't work right :( even if it costs less.
Which software upgrade? There is a beta firmware release available for the BDP-83 and BDP-83SE, which provides playback fix for a couple BD's (500 Days of Summer being the one I remember) and introduces a couple new experimental features (BluTV and DLNA-based network file support). It is the same firmware for both the standard and SE players.

A

audiotraine

Enthusiast
f/u

was just wondering if fatswillie123's problem was fixed or not.
does anybody on this forum own an Oppo BDP-83SE and listen to alot of
music? I'd like to know if it really sounds as good as the better CD players or not.
Thanks already

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am having a problem with random audio dropouts on the 83SE on the Roxy Music Avalon SACD. I installed the 1224 firmware and no difference. Sent an email to Oppo.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I am having a problem with random audio dropouts on the 83SE on the Roxy Music Avalon SACD. I installed the 1224 firmware and no difference. Sent an email to Oppo.
O, hell no! We can't b droppin out on Avalon. Someone get a gun!

DJ

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis