bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Really interested in how it sounds with cd's, dvd's, and blu-rays. Picture I know should be good because of the anchor bay video processor, but audio is just as important to me. I've demo'd both an arcam cd37, and arcam dv139 player. Though I am a huge arcam fan, I really didn't notice much difference in sound when playing any of the following formats (excluding blu-rays of course) The arcam dv139 is a dvd player, but it to has an anchor bay processor and the picture looked superb and near blu-ray quality. It didn't do justice for me to get it though.

Ultimately I want a stand alone player for not just movies, but music as well. Right now I'm using my xbox as my cd player. Its fine, but I have to have my tv on as well plus its loud. It would be nice to just have the receiver on and player.
Well if your sending the signal to your current avr digital, analog out would be your only question. There are posts addressing this:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Really interested in how it sounds with cd's, dvd's, and blu-rays. Picture I know should be good because of the anchor bay video processor, but audio is just as important to me. I've demo'd both an arcam cd37, and arcam dv139 player. Though I am a huge arcam fan, I really didn't notice much difference in sound when playing any of the following formats (excluding blu-rays of course) The arcam dv139 is a dvd player, but it to has an anchor bay processor and the picture looked superb and near blu-ray quality. It didn't do justice for me to get it though.

Ultimately I want a stand alone player for not just movies, but music as well. Right now I'm using my xbox as my cd player. Its fine, but I have to have my tv on as well plus its loud. It would be nice to just have the receiver on and player.
I can't compare it to anything recent from them, but I'd say you will more likely than not be satisfied with this one. I am a fan of Arcam, just not a fan of their price tag. For the price, you get a LOT from Oppo, and that has always been the case.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
My BDP-83 got here yesterday.
I haven't had a chance to do more than hook it up and play with it a bit.

First impression compared to my Panasonic:
This sucker is fast. I didn't time the loading time but it blows away the Panny in this regard.

As soon as I hooked up to the network, a connection that put the Panny into crawl mode, it recognized the new firmware availability. Download took maybe 3 minutes. I don't see, at this point anyway, a detraction from the Oppo's responsiveness while hooked up to a netwok.

BSG-The Plan just got here from Netflix. :)rolleyes:Thanks Netflix for getting it to me in such a timely fashion, It's only been my Q for 40 years.:rolleyes:)
I'll use this as my first test for the new toy.

T

TFritz

Audiophyte
BDP-83 Questions

Hello-

I have a couple of questions about the BDP-83 for those who own the player.

1. Does the BDP-83 have the ability to switch between layers of hybrid SACDs using the remote alone? I feel this is a very useful feature for folks who like to compare the sound of the standard CD layer to the 2 channel or multichannel SACD layers of hybrid SACDs.

2. Does the BDP-83's display show the type of disc being played (e.g. SACD, hybrid SACD, DVD-A, etc.)

3. Related to number 2, does the BDP-83's display show the bitrate and frequency (e.g 24/96) of the audio being played from a given disc?

Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1) No. I don't actually see that as a useful feature. Technically, it is done with the remote via the setup menu, but it can't be done on the fly.

2)Yes. On screen, not on the player's display.

3) As far as I can tell, no.

T

TFritz

Audiophyte
BDP-83 Questions

Hi J Garcia-

Thanks for the info. Though you indicate that you don't feel the ability to switch between hybrid SACD layers using the remote alone to be personally useful, I do as I tried to convey. I don't find it convenient to have to turn on my front projector just to do this task (which can be accomplished via a remote as demonstrated by my Denon 2930ci).

Similarly, I feel that it would be far more convenient to have the BDP-83's display show the type of disc being played (along with the bitrate and frequency) than having to turn on my front projector to get this information.

Thanks again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have two players that can switch between layers on the fly and I only found it useful when I first got into SACD. Now I can't say that I ever listen to the CD tracks at all anymore. I have the Oppo set to default to multichannel and that works for most discs, but I have a few discs that the 2ch is better than the M/C so I would have liked to be able to do this more easily as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
New beta firmware out

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-50-0323b.aspx

This public beta version works for both the standard BDP-83 and the BDP-83 Special Edition. Comparing to the official release version BDP83-48-1224, the major changes included in this version are:

1.When there is no disc playing, the player shows the OPPO background screen instead of the "Home Menu". The "Home Menu" can be accessed by pressing the "Home" button on the remote control.
2.Improvement to MKV compatibility. Some MKV files do not play or play with severe video artifacts when using previous firmware. This version improves the playback of such files.
3.Some users have reported hearing pops or crackles between SACD tracks. This issue happens to certain discs that have data frames that are not aligned with track boundaries. This version removes such pops or crackles.
4.Other general disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I installed the beta firmware last night and played one SACD with no popping (though I don't recall that disc popping before), and one movie. I don't know if they changed anything else, but my bass sounded a little different through the Oppo as well with the SACD. I was listening to this same disc a day or two ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis