O

oppomad

Audiophyte
Is there anyway you can force the Oppo to do the bass management/time alignment to the LPCM signal before it leave the player via HDMi? i.e like it would be after its DAC's for the analog outs?

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
There is not. The HDMI output bypasses those settings specifically because HDMI-equipped receivers will apply all of that as part of the standard audio processing.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I really have no idea why anyone in their right mind would ever buy a BluRay player such as the Denon DVDA1UDCI for $4K over this Oppo 83... It just blows my mind...

The Oppo is such a great multi use machine with amazing performance for 1/8th the price... seems silly really...

Loving my Oppo, which is my first BluRay player... glad I waited...

O

oppomad

Audiophyte
Is there anyway you can force the Oppo to do the bass management/time alignment to the LPCM signal before it leave the player via HDMi? i.e like it would be after its DAC's for the analog outs?

There is not. The HDMI output bypasses those settings specifically because HDMI-equipped receivers will apply all of that as part of the standard audio processing.
I thought this but had a very difernt answer from Oppo technical.

They said that if the receiver does not support any bass management then the oppo would perform it! EDID would be used to ascertain the receivers capabilities.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I thought this but had a very difernt answer from Oppo technical.

They said that if the receiver does not support any bass management then the oppo would perform it! EDID would be used to ascertain the receivers capabilities.
Interesting - I don't think that came up during the beta testing and I am pretty sure it's not in the manual, but I do know that the EDID info can influence settings becuase I've seen it happen with DSD/PCM settings for SACD's. Do you have a receiver that won't do bass management with HDMI sources?

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Why I can't purchase Oppo

It's a price which maybe ain't equal to top performers with equiv. features but at the same time it's not at all cheap. yes-it's great but I found 1 thing I was really looking forward to - was ability of the player to connect to Internet and display certain services' website like YouTube, Flickr, NetFlix, etc. etc. These days, it's almost a standard with BD players 1/3rd. the cost. This is something I need - one may say it's not audiophile, this and that - but it's a feature I really need to have in my player and ability of my player to connect to my Media server and stream audio (tons I have).

S

sthayashi

Enthusiast
bmninada

From what I've seen of Oppo in the past, and based on their current lineup, they're a company that focuses literally on uncompromising quality for those who know what they want. A well respected upscaler for DVDs, audio configurations that give good options for just about anyone, the ability to play back H.264, etc.

And I do agree that their player is too expensive for me, which is why I'm not about to get it anytime soon.

But complaining that it does not have the ability to work with streaming video services and being able to interface to your personal media center seems like a minor quibble. In your particular case, I'd recommend getting an HTPC or a small laptop with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then you can get all these features and easily stay up to date with whatever new site that strikes your fancy.

B

btiltman

Audiophyte
Lets see..... we have a fantastic machine for displaying HI RES video and we are complaining that we cant watch blurry internet video on it? Doh!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It's a price which maybe ain't equal to top performers with equiv. features but at the same time it's not at all cheap. yes-it's great but I found 1 thing I was really looking forward to - was ability of the player to connect to Internet and display certain services' website like YouTube, Flickr, NetFlix, etc. etc. These days, it's almost a standard with BD players 1/3rd. the cost. This is something I need - one may say it's not audiophile, this and that - but it's a feature I really need to have in my player and ability of my player to connect to my Media server and stream audio (tons I have).
They released a new firmware that enables you to stream via the 83 via DLNA.

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic
I have a first-hand account of an instance where this isn't 100% true.

I own an Onkyo TX-SR705 and, depending on the sampling frequency, LPCM and bitstream TrueHD/DTS-HD are not all handled equally.

With LPCM, complete processing (bass management, room correction, DPL IIx, etc.) is applied to any signal that is up to an including 96 kHz sampling frequency. But if the LPCM is a 192 kHz sampling frequency signal, the 705 will not process it - it will only play it back exactly as it came in (with only the treble/bass "tone" controls available).

With a TrueHD bitstream, the 705 will completely process any signal up to an including a 48 kHz sampling frequency. But at 96 kHz, it will only play it back straight - no processing. And if it is a 192 kHz TrueHD bitstream, it will not play it at all!

With DTS-HD Master Audio, it will process up to 48 kHz signals. It will not process 96 kHz signals, but it will play them back straight. And it will play 192 kHz signals, but it will down sample them to 96 kHz in order to do so!

So with the Onkyo TX-SR705, everything is equal so long as the incoming signal is 48 kHz sampling frequency or less. But if I want to listen to a 96 kHz signal, I'm best off with a LPCM signal coming from the player as the 705 can fully process a 96 kHz LPCM signal, but cannot process TrueHD or DTS-HD MA at that high of a sampling frequency.

I do not know for certain, but my educated guess is that the 705 basically has limited processing power. When it is receiving a TrueHD/DTS-HD bistream, some of its processing power is "taken up" and used to decode the bitstream, leaving less processing power "left over" for things like bass management, room correction, DPL IIx, etc. With a LPCM signal, it doesn't have to "spend" any processor power on the decoding itself, so it is able to fully process a higher sampling frequency.

So that's a long explanation, but it's a first-hand account of an instance where a respectable receiver handles multi-channel LPCM slightly differently from TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstream. The "weird" thing though is that, in the case of my 705, having the player send LPCM actually holds the advantage!

The example I've seen the most of bitstream sounding better than LPCM is when people are comparing bitstream TrueHD/DTS-HD from a stand-alone player vs. the LPCM output from the PS3. I've seen several people claiming that a stand-alone player sending bitstream sounds noticably clearer and more detailed than the PS3's LPCM output.

Now, one theory of mine is that those people haven't properly configured the audio output of the PS3. If you just go into the PS3's Sound Menu, select HDMI for the audio output and then have it automatically configure the audio output, it doesn't always automatically select all of the various multi-channel LPCM output modes that are supported. Some people may also be mistakenly leaving the HDMI audio output setting under the BD/DVD menu to "bitstream" - limiting them to regular DD/DTS output or only 2-channel LPCM. And then, there are all the check boxes if you setup the Sound menu manually. Basically, there are just many possible ways to misconfigure the PS3's audio output, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were the cause of the "lower quality" audio in many cases.

So maybe the best test would be for Gene to compare the BDP-83's audio quality to the PS3's!

That's probably the biggest question out there and the one that is really on my mind. Set up a PS3 properly, have it do the decoding and output the multi-channel LPCM and compare its sound quality to the BDP-83's bitstream and also the BDP-83's decoded LPCM output. If the PS3 really is limiting the audio quality somehow, it should be rather obvious.
Sound logic. Anyone writting differently has sipped some bad kool-aid.

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic
The Oppo BDP-83 is not the player for you. You should be considering Popcorn Hour or any HTPC that is compatible with SD internet streaming and pirating. The Oppo is for audio and videophiles.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Got Mine!

Well, I'll be able to offer more to this thread later as my new Oppo 83 arrived this morning!! It's like Christmas all over again!!

Now if only I didn't have to go to my wife's work party tonight...:p

R

repdetect

Audiophyte
"For those rare users...that don’t yet have HDMI"

Huh!!!!????

There are apparently enough rare users out there without HDMI that Oppo has released a Special Edition player with better DAC's for the analog outs. HDMI users need not apply.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Huh!!!!????

There are apparently enough rare users out there without HDMI that Oppo has released a Special Edition player with better DAC's for the analog outs. HDMI users need not apply.
HUH ?

K

Kaz-maN

Junior Audioholic
How does oppo bdp-83 perform in comparison to like an nad t587 or t577 blu-ray player. I've been wanting to get one, but I'm concerned with how it performs with other formats. I know the picture should look good considering the oppo uses anchor bay for video processing.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
New Oppo BDP-80

There is a new Oppo Blu-ray player, the BDP-80 for only $289. It plays SACD, DVD-Audio, HDCD, ...

* http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/

...But you guys knew that already...
And who knows, perhaps Harman Kardon will put it in their new Blu-ray player...

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How does oppo bdp-83 perform in comparison to like an nad t587 or t577 blu-ray player. I've been wanting to get one, but I'm concerned with how it performs with other formats. I know the picture should look good considering the oppo uses anchor bay for video processing.
Concerned with how it performs with WHICH other formats? Thus far it is performing extremely well with all of those that it is capable of handling.

K

Kaz-maN

Junior Audioholic
Concerned with how it performs with WHICH other formats? Thus far it is performing extremely well with all of those that it is capable of handling.
Really interested in how it sounds with cd's, dvd's, and blu-rays. Picture I know should be good because of the anchor bay video processor, but audio is just as important to me. I've demo'd both an arcam cd37, and arcam dv139 player. Though I am a huge arcam fan, I really didn't notice much difference in sound when playing any of the following formats (excluding blu-rays of course) The arcam dv139 is a dvd player, but it to has an anchor bay processor and the picture looked superb and near blu-ray quality. It didn't do justice for me to get it though.

Ultimately I want a stand alone player for not just movies, but music as well. Right now I'm using my xbox as my cd player. Its fine, but I have to have my tv on as well plus its loud. It would be nice to just have the receiver on and player.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis