Oppo BDP-83 Streams Multichannel as Stereo

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Upon learning that the BDP-83 cannot play the world's most common audio format, WAV, via USB memory stick, I was advised to try DLNA streaming. So I set up Foobar2000 and the DLNA server plugin. I followed instructions seen on another forum Google search result, making sure to set the stream to LPCM and not to check the "stereo only" box that reduces the stream to stereo. Decode to PCM 'always' is set.

I played a number of 5 and 6 channel WAV and FLAC files from various sources. All played in stereo on the Oppo and nothing came out of the C LS or RS channels.

I wanted to quantify the problem, so I made a 5 channel WAV file with distinct markers for each channel and this is what I found:

LF comes from LF
Center comes out of LF & RF equally
RF comes from RF
LR come out of LF & RF equally
RR comes out of LF

I experimented with Oppo's setup menus, changing speaker setups, even the other options for audio stream formats over other outputs. Nothing changed. Still getting stereo mixdown from surround source material.

I'm out of ideas. Is it even POSSIBLE to stream multichannel to the Oppo or am I just wasting my time because the Oppo may be defective in that regard?

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
I would test out another server. I use Twonky to stream multichannel flac to my Oppo 93 from a NAS box. Not sure if the 83 and 93 are supposed to be equal in this regard.

I think you can get Twonky for free or as a trial.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I can't answer your question, but I'll throw some stuff out there:
  • The latest firmware was released on December 21 - doesn't mention anything about your issue, but might be worth installing.
  • Can you play WAV files from a disc (I don't see anything in the manual regarding music file compatibility)?
  • I use "PS3 Media Server" to stream to my PS3, but it also recognizes other available hardware when I pull the program up. Might be worth looking into if you're considering other servers - and it's completely free.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought PS3 media server worked but I would need to try it again just to be sure.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just tried streaming MCH using ps3 media server and it worked. Then I realized you were asking about the 83. Mine is 95, so I know 93 will work the same way but not sure about the 83 but there is no harm trying ps3 media server is free.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Without Discwelder Bronze, I cannot make an SACD, which would allow me to have multichannel WAV files play on the BDP-83. Just burning them to a DVD-ROM doesn't work, nor does putting them on a USB thumb drive, because the 83 doesn't recognize the format. Oppo has confirmed that the inability to play WAV files is a limitation of their chipset. (Sounds like their chipset predates the first Windows operating system, since WAV has been around close to 20 years now.)

I thought this would be an easy thing to do, but apparently there are absurd limitations to the Oppo that I had not dreamed possible. Why have a USB socket if it can't accept the most common, non-encrypted plain Jane file formats? When I bought it, I had an expectation of being able to pop my stuff onto a USB drive and play it on the Oppo, which has a dedicated 7.1 connection to my sound system.

My PCs presently have just a 2-channel connection to the sound system, but it looks like my best option with the least effort now is to buy a 8 channel audio snake and link my mixing board and PC DAWs to the sound system directly. I had hoped the Oppo would make it possible to avoid running more cables across the room, but I guess not.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just tried streaming MCH using ps3 media server and it worked. Then I realized you were asking about the 83. Mine is 95, so I know 93 will work the same way but not sure about the 83 but there is no harm trying ps3 media server is free.
Correction: It was MCH FLAC, not wave so even the newer 95 won't play wave.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Correction: It was MCH FLAC, not wave so even the newer 95 won't play wave.
These are frustrating limitations. When I bought the Oppo 83, I was under the impression that it played these formats and more. I'm finding it's really no more useful than a 'dumb' BD player. The USB is only useful for firmware updates, as it supports no high quality formats.

I even looked into DVD Audio creator programs.. including Lplex. But it can't make a 24/96 multichannel disc as it's an invalid format. So maybe that is a hint as to why the 83 downgrades my foobar/UPnP server stream to stereo.

That pretty much settles it. I'll invest in some cables from Monoprice and pipe over 6 more channels from my PC editing workstations/mixing desk to the main stereo system preamps.

J

JazzGuyy

Audiophyte
The 83 streaming capabilities were (and still are) quite limited. Streaming on the 83 was never much more than experimental. I have only fooled around with it a little. You can stream some formats that the 83 will not play directly but have to use a DLNA server that transcodes the audio. I don't remember there being any support of multi-channel audio streaming though some DLNA server software may enable it.

The new 93/95 models are much more flexible and can support a much wider range of audio formats both streamed and from attached USB/eSata hard drives, including high resolution multichannel.

V

vinicior

Banned
I'll try another server. I use Twonky to stream FLAC to my opposition to multi-channel 93 of the NAS box. I'm not sure if the 83 and 93 should be the same in this case.

I think you can get free or trial version of Twonky. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Upon learning that the BDP-83 cannot play the world's most common audio format, WAV, via USB memory stick, I was advised to try DLNA streaming. So I set up Foobar2000 and the DLNA server plugin. I followed instructions seen on another forum Google search result, making sure to set the stream to LPCM and not to check the "stereo only" box that reduces the stream to stereo. Decode to PCM 'always' is set.

I played a number of 5 and 6 channel WAV and FLAC files from various sources. All played in stereo on the Oppo and nothing came out of the C LS or RS channels.

I wanted to quantify the problem, so I made a 5 channel WAV file with distinct markers for each channel and this is what I found:

LF comes from LF
Center comes out of LF & RF equally
RF comes from RF
LR come out of LF & RF equally
RR comes out of LF

I experimented with Oppo's setup menus, changing speaker setups, even the other options for audio stream formats over other outputs. Nothing changed. Still getting stereo mixdown from surround source material.

I'm out of ideas. Is it even POSSIBLE to stream multichannel to the Oppo or am I just wasting my time because the Oppo may be defective in that regard?
I don't think MCH FLAC was around when the OPPO 83 was conceived. FLAC was two channel for a long time.

In any event only HDMI has the bandwidth to stream it. To make it work properly you need to but the files in a container like OGG or better Metroska.

I was at an AES meeting about all this AES/EBU SPDIF is no longer adequate now or going forward. AES 42 is now here. It is so radical in needs total system redesign including the optical cabling, which it is designed to work with optimally.

Get ready for a boat load of obsolescence the like of which you have never seen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis