Oppo BDP-80 Universal Blu-ray Player First Look

K

kage

Enthusiast
I ordered the BDP-80 today and I'm planning to use the source video direct mode so that I can use my Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver's video processor. The video processor that is in my VSX-1120 is the Marvell Qdeo. Do you think that I will get excellent results with it and is it ok to use the video processor to watch blu-ray movies? I know that I have to turn the video processor off when I play Xbox 360 games. The other reason that I bought the BDP-80 is that I want to experience DVD-A's and SACDs. Where is a good place to buy SACD's in the genres of Smooth Jazz (Vocal and Non-Vocal), and Classic Rock?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Where is a good place to buy SACD's in the genres of Smooth Jazz (Vocal and Non-Vocal), and Classic Rock?
I typically buy from amazon.ca/amazon.com but BB also have them. I would like to know if there are places that offer better prices.

I hope you have a nice AVR so you can use HDMI. If you use the analog of the 80 I doubt you would hear any improvement in SQ other than you get multi channel vs 2 channel that regular CD offers.

K

kage

Enthusiast
I typically buy from amazon.ca/amazon.com but BB also have them. I would like to know if there are places that offer better prices.

I hope you have a nice AVR so you can use HDMI. If you use the analog of the 80 I doubt you would hear any improvement in SQ other than you get multi channel vs 2 channel that regular CD offers.
I got my first two sacds today at Frys and they are:
1. Andrea Bocelli "Cieli Di Toscana."
2. Diana Krall "The Look of Love."

I started listening to them on my Oppo BDP-80 via HDMI to my Pioneer VSX-1120 and they sound excellent.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I got my first two sacds today at Frys and they are:
1. Andrea Bocelli "Cieli Di Toscana."
2. Diana Krall "The Look of Love."

I started listening to them on my Oppo BDP-80 via HDMI to my Pioneer VSX-1120 and they sound excellent.
You have a nice AVR.:)

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Apparently, there are rumours floating around the internet that the Oppo 80 is about to be discontinued. It's still up on Oppo's website (oppodigital.com), though. Here's what I found on Blu-ray.com this morning:

"According to several well-placed sources, the latest entry in Oppo's Blu-ray player lineup, model BDP-80, is already being discontinued, allegedly because of poor sales. The brand's other, older players, models BDP-83 and BDP-83 Special Edition, will continue to be sold. No new models have been announced yet.

After the first rumors about this development, Blu-ray.com contacted Oppo Digital for comment in August, and the company replied then: "Since we have made no product announcements, we will not be discussing what players may or may not be discontinued."

I guess since most people these days want Netflix streaming, sub-$150 prices and whatnot, it makes no sense to offer up the 80. The 83 will appeal to the hardcore market, but the 80 maybe doesn't appeal to the somewhat-less hardcore. Too bad; I thought it was a great idea for those who wanted Oppo quality and service for a lower price.

cheers,
supervij

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I suspect that they would have had improved sales if they chose to implement something like ABT over an existing feature like mch analogs. I don't care at all about DVDs, but many others do. Well, most people have such small viewing angles, that I doubt most people would even tell a difference. This is also assuming the display doesn't do a better job to begin with, or some outboard processor.

I think they should lose the mch analogs, IMO, and drop the price down to $200 or so. Excuse my unfounded amateurish speculation.

Seriously, how many people here do NOT have an HDMI receiver? If they do not, I suspect two different types of cases. The first type has some really sweet high end audiophile preamp, and would just get the 83SE in any case because they could afford it. The second type simply lacks the funds for something like an HDMI receiver, and so they wouldn't even consider a $300 BDP to begin with.

I could buy three Panasonic players for the price of the 80. Even the one I bought in 2007 is still working. BDs represent about 99% of my viewership at home.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't care at all about DVDs, but many others do. Well, most people have such small viewing angles, that I doubt most people would even tell a difference. This is also assuming the display doesn't do a better job to begin with, or some outboard processor.
I seem to have been the only saying this, until now:D. I would go even further, ABT in the Oppo 83 is a waste of money. DVD's will look good only if the transfer is good. If the transfer is good, ABT or Reon equipped players will not yield better/visible results than most current Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG and Pioneer BD players. I am talking about viewing real world material, not test patterns/videos. I understand for people with 60" or greater screens, top notch upscalers such as the OPPO 83 may yield visibly improved performance, but then if I have screens that big I would force myself to replace my favorite DVDs with BRs in a hurry. If Oppo 83SE drops the ABT and lower the price to say $699, I may be tempted to pick one up just to see if it can sound better with SACD/DVDA via analogs, than my DVD3910.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I seem to have been the only saying this, until now:D. I would go even further, ABT in the Oppo 83 is a waste of money.
Well, I believe I've been saying something alone these lines for years now, TBH. I think* j garcia might have been too. So don't worry, you're not alone. :)

DVD's will look good only if the transfer is good. If the transfer is good, ABT or Reon equipped players will not yield better/visible results than most current Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG and Pioneer BD players.
Mmm I'm not sure if I would go that* far, but I hear what you are saying. Well, my first bdp was a BD30 and it was known to be below par for upconverting, and I currently had a HDA35 which has ABT. So, comparing the opposite ends of the spectrum, I could tell a subtle but real difference with an "ok" transfer, but yeah, perhaps only from a close distance. Well ok, so then maybe you are* right, especially with today's players :) Of course there are both receivers and displays that already have ABT or some other "excellent" video processor too. Let alone the stand alone processors.

The way I usually put it, for a first time prospective BDP buyer, was that once you see your first good BD, you will then hardly care about upconverting differences, as they both look like pure crap next to a good BD. Of course, some folks disagree with me, but then I think those people just need a bigger TV. :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DVD's will look good only if the transfer is good. If the transfer is good, ABT or Reon equipped players will not yield better/visible results than most current Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG and Pioneer BD players.
I would also not quite say that. A bad transfer will look bad on any player IMO. A good transfer does look better with the ABT compared to other players that I have used thus far. In other words, the 83 does look the best, but I am at the point now where I watch very few SD DVDs now, so it is sort of moot. And that is for exactly the reason Jostenmeat mentioned - even a very good looking upscaled SD DVD doesn't look as good as the better Blu-rays :)

The current level of players are very good also, though I have said that the Oppo does look better, the others still look good enough that I doubt most would be disappointed. Those who are looking for top-notch, should be considering the Oppo though.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
John and Josten, I might have exaggerated in trying to make my point. I did qualify my claim by saying "watching real world material", using "current (meant latest) models BDPs, and <60" screens. Yes I can agree that for people who want the best possible upscaled DVD video quality, OPPO 83 is the one to have. For most viewers with 50" plasma watching from 10' I assume you guys agree with me that current (at least most) BDPs such as the Panny 65/85, Sony 470, Pioneer 320 etc. and up would likely look just as good unless you put in a test disc. Lastly, I also happen to think who plays DVD the best is becoming a moot point now, as BR discs are regularly going for $9.99 each (or less) and rentals are becoming very affordable as well.

I am running out of reasons to buy DVDs.:D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, PENG, I think we were all just splitting semantic hairs or something, not sure, but trust me, you are preaching to the choir. :D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
So we all agree, if you have a good display just send all signals native:D:p I really cant tell the difference between 480i/p or HD DVDs and have real hard time with 1080p from my distances. Ive tried to ab my sources and with my mind I cant tell (especially now). Color range is different but my memory just doesnt say wow, that much:eek:

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
FYI, the 80 is no longer on Oppo's website.

cheers,
supervij

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
FYI, the 80 is no longer on Oppo's website.

cheers,
supervij
It was officially discontinued.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5181

Confirming the scoop this site gave you just days ago about the end of life for the Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray player (see Blu-ray.com, September 19), Oppo Digital replied to our query for confirmation with the following: "The BDP-80 has been discontinued and we do not have any immediate plans to design or sell a replacement product." The CE maker clarified that it is working on a new Blu-ray platform, but it will probably not be released until early 2011, or "if we are lucky," by end-of-year 2010.

Oppo explained to Blu-ray.com that they "will not be making any product announcements at CEDIA," the reason being that "our general business motto is to only announce a product when it is available for immediate purchase."

The discontinuation has also been announced through Oppo's Facebook page. No reasons were given for this decision. However, when asked there if a new, cheaper BDP-80 was coming, the reply was: "Definitely some exciting things coming down the pipe, stay tuned."

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I know I am self serving in saying this as I have a Denon 3910 already but I want them to come up with a BD only player that can compete with Sony and Panasonic in price. I don't even care if they exclude the ABT VRS if that allows them to bring the price down further.
I don't get the impression that they are going to tackle the $100 market again. They turned everything upside down with their early players, but since they switched to BD, they haven't been focusing on the less expensive segment.

P

penpitt

Audioholic
With the 80 being discontinued I guess I will have to wait until next year for my initiation into the world of Bluray.I was hoping to get one around Christmas when I am finally out of school.I don't want to spend $500 to get a new oppo, but need something that plays DVD-A and SACD. I guess my 980 will have to stay with me for a little longer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis