Oppo BDP-80 Universal Blu-ray Player First Look

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
For my usage, an Oppo with no analog audio or video (other than maybe one single composite for troubleshooting picture problems so you could at least get the menu) that supports only CD, DVD, and BluRay would be ideal.
At that point, why would you buy the oppo? For the name?

I seem to recall all the hoopla surrounding Oppo was offering high end internals for a value price. If an oppo player becomes nothing more than an elaborate transport (sending every bit of sound/video processing to a preamp/receiver) then what advantage would it have against everything else?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Denon and Oppo are the only two who offer players that do this. That means that any of the Oppo "clones" should as well, but you are going to pay a lot more for the other players; including the Denon. I am not sure, but I seem to recall Denon may be coming out with a lower cost player that does SACD and DVD-A but I believe it was still about the same price as the 83SE.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
got a question, i currently own a dv-980. i love its dvd playback capabilities.
I was thinking about getting this and selling my 980.
however, i just want to know as far as Blu-Ray playback capabilities, is this one as good as most players out on the market today (when it comes to video quality)? example: panasonic, sony (ps3 incl.), etc

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
got a question, i currently own a dv-980. i love its dvd playback capabilities.
I was thinking about getting this and selling my 980.
however, i just want to know as far as Blu-Ray playback capabilities, is this one as good as most players out on the market today (when it comes to video quality)? example: panasonic, sony (ps3 incl.), etc
Video quality from a BD player isn't going to vary great deal that most people would notice, so I don't think you have to worry about that. It already looks so much better than DVD that the improvement in video alone is worth it.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
Video quality from a BD player isn't going to vary great deal that most people would notice, so I don't think you have to worry about that. It already looks so much better than DVD that the improvement in video alone is worth it.
Yeah, definitely, I currently use my ps3 to watch BD's, but i don't want to overuse it, along with my game playing. that's why I want to get another BD player to watch movies.

also are load times slow on this player?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
At that point, why would you buy the oppo? For the name?
I guess price, and great customer service.

I seem to recall all the hoopla surrounding Oppo was offering high end internals for a value price.
It depends on how you define high end. To me the Oppo is hardly high end.

If an oppo player becomes nothing more than an elaborate transport (sending every bit of sound/video proces.sing to a preamp/receiver) then what advantage would it have against everything else?[/
Again, may be price and customer service. Once those not too popular features are removed, may be they would become price competitive with Pana, Sony etc.

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
I guess price, and great customer service.
O.k. - those are probably two good reasons for sticking with Oppo.

It depends on how you define high end. To me the Oppo is hardly high end.
Well, I was speaking more to the Anchor Bay chip, and to a lesser extent the universal capabilities with SACD & DVD-A. Some might not consider the Anchor Bay processing "high end".

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I was speaking more to the Anchor Bay chip, and to a lesser extent the universal capabilities with SACD & DVD-A. Some might not consider the Anchor Bay processing "high end".
Every Denon AVR from the 2310 up has the ABT 2010 and they are not considered high end (at least not until you get to the 5308 and above) by most people. I also thought most people would not even consider a $2000 player high end. That being said, high end or not, on the video side the Oppo 83 is probably the best performing BD player available at the moment regardless of price.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 83 is actually a little bit faster than the PS3 in some cases. That could be because I don't have it connected to the web too though, so those could be BD-J/live features on those particular discs.

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
The 83 is actually a little bit faster than the PS3 in some cases. That could be because I don't have it connected to the web too though, so those could be BD-J/live features on those particular discs.
Maybe yours is just faster because it's the special "SE" model...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe yours is just faster because it's the special "SE" model...
I bought it as the 83 and did the upgrade to the SE, so I had it for a few months before they even offered the SE and it was already faster :)

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
The SE changes power supply and analog board. Oh, and adds a serial port. It does not change anything about the player's digital side - start-up, disc loading, and all the rest are identical to the BDP-83. Likewise, the BDP-80 is using the same Mediatek chip and same disc drive, as well as similar firmware, so it is going to be almost indistinguishable from the 83 as far as speed is concerned. I say that the BDP-83 is basically the same speed as the PS3 because in most comparisons I've seen the BDP-83 is a few seconds faster at some tasks and a few seconds slower at others.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
recap please:

if my content is purely BLU-RAY ... how big of a difference is the 80 to the 83 in terms of audio and video?

if i understood the thread and article correctly, BD's won't be affected?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
recap please:

if my content is purely BLU-RAY ... how big of a difference is the 80 to the 83 in terms of audio and video?

if i understood the thread and article correctly, BD's won't be affected?
If I understood the thread and article correctly, no, you won't be affected.

OTOH, DVD playback should be superior with the 83 on your PJ setup.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
If I understood the thread and article correctly, no, you won't be affected.

OTOH, DVD playback should be superior with the 83 on your PJ setup.
DVD's are so 90's :eek:

i'll use my trusty DVD player for DVD's. perhaps it IS time to buy BD player.

i wonder how much my PS3's would sell.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
DVD's are so 90's :eek:
:D:D:D:D:D

edit: however, I think my previous post is assuming that you are using HDMI for your playback. I did assume so, but neither of us explicitly said so.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
By HDMI, I meant only with audio, on bluray playback.
right. :)

i haven't used my HT for literally months now. when i get back into AV ... my 2010 purchases will be:

1) a new HD media tank
2) dedicated BD player that can flag the HD audio on my receiver (right now, i only see multi-ch PCM)
3) the biggest display within 1800 bucks for my bedroom.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis