Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 Blu-ray Q&A Interview

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
AFAIK, what may have been happening was people were ripping the CD layer to hard disc, NOT the SACD tracks.
I think you are right, typically the discs have both CD and SACD versions on one disc. So people would run the program and had no idea the program would automatically start ripping the CD layers, as they cannot do anything to, or even recognized the SACD layer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I know there was hackware out there to do it too, but I never heard of anyone who actually did it. As it would happen, I do have an old 60GB PS3 with 3.40 firmware...

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
they're getting pretty rare and are in demand. you should ebay it.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Me too, I have been purchasing my HD FLAC albums from HDtrack.com but I feel they are over priced, considering they are just downloads, yet they charged pretty much the same as for the discs.

I really wish there are software that can rip my SACD and DVDA, or even CDs legitimately to Flac or wave formats for streaming. I think Oppo is smart not to invest in the build like a tank (such as my Denon universal's) kind of transport mechanism but on things that contribute to better sound quality instead.
foobar2000 will handle your DVDA's, Ripping DVD Audio [Archive] - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

plus 'DVD Audio Extractor'
Ampliozone: Ripping DVD-Audio with DVD Audio Extractor

For Cd's to flac I use EAC. Exact audio Copy ( EAC)
EAC Guides

also dBpoweramp is a more user friendly.

For your Jriver, which version of 17 do you have and have you spoke to their support group. They are really easy to deal with. http://mc-changelog.blogspot.com/

also this site is packed with computeraudio info
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/436-jriver-media-center-17-detail/

Last edited:
R

ruzveh

Audiophyte
Oppo reply to my Queries

Below is the mail sent by Oppo. I had asked few things to be implemented on thier players which they answered positively. I am happy with the kind of service and support this company provides. I hope you can get the fair idea about the player further. Hear from them below
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The player supports all current Blu-ray profiles, including Profile 2.0.

The player does not support ISO. This will never be supported through a future firmware.

Bluescreens are related to the a bad HDMI cable or connection and not the Blu-ray specifications. Changing the HDMI cable will usually resolve these errors.

BDXL is not a part of the standard Blu-ray specifications, so none of our current or future players will likely support this.

Yes, you can connect HDMI 1 direct to a television for video and HDMI 2 direct to the receiver for audio.

USB 3.0 is not required on a Blu-ray player as there is no read/write access. USB 3.0 is only important for fast writing, and since we are a read only device, USB 2.0 has more than enough bandwidth. For this reason we will not be adding USB 3.0 through a future hardware design.

The player already supports up to Blu-ray standard files (m2ts/ts).

The player supports industry standard output resolution and frequency rates. There is no device that can support higher than 60Hz using HDMI, so the best we can output is 1080p/60Hz or 4k/24Hz.

We are looking into support hi10p through a future firmware release, but at this time we do not know when this may occur, if at all, as this has been something that we have been requesting for a long time from the decoder manufacturer.

We already support FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS. Future file systems will likely not be supported due to licensing limitations.

The BDP-9x series will not support 3TB or larger drives as this player lacks the ability to support GPT. The newer BDP-10x series of players supports GPT so it will support 3TB and larger drives.

The player only needs 10/100 Ethernet or Wireless N (2.4GHz) as these bandwidths are more than enough to handle streaming files which the player supports, including Blu-ray rips.

The player is already very power efficient for the amount of technology that is installed in it. Even in Standby we use less than a half watt of power.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Nielsen

Peter Nielsen

Audioholic Intern
When reading the article, i burst out: WOW FINALLY WE HAVE IP CONTROL!!! :)

Unfortunately the article is wrong. The answer for "Q: Is there an App in the works for these new players to control them via a network?" is strictly speaking not correct.

Direct over-the network control is currently still not possbile. You still have to use a solution that provides hardware with an RS-232 port.

An "App" alone cannot control them via a network. You need to invest in additonal hardware. This is the answer I got from oppo on November 13, 2012:

"These players do not support IP Control as they do not have bi-direction feedback over the network interfaces. We may be able to allow for direction commands (such as how we accept IR signals) through a future firmware release, but at this time there are no immediate plans to support IP Control."

V

Venu

Audiophyte
Hi

I own OPPO BDP-95 player. When reading this entire thread I found out that though many upgrades are done in BDP-105 which is equivalent to BDP-95 model, I would like to know if there is a way to upscale my BDP-95 player to have 4k Up-conversion either by OPPO external hardware or by any internal OPPO upgrades.

Also I would like make it Universal Blu-ray disc player, so that any region BRD can be played. Please suggest

Thanks in advance
Venu

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Check with Oppo. Guessing the answer will be no on both counts. You can check around for aftermarket installers than can make it region free as long as you don't mind giving up your warranty if you still have one.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Check with Oppo. Guessing the answer will be no on both counts. You can check around for aftermarket installers than can make it region free as long as you don't mind giving up your warranty if you still have one.
I have seen region-free kits on ebay, a reasonably skilled user can install it.

Proceed at your own risk with that though.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
I just picked up a 103 after my Sony failed on me. It was noisy and not good at streaming movies. Good picture though, but limited audio quality since it lacked 5 or 7.1 analog outputs. This Oppo is just packed with features, yet easy to use for the basics. Netflix is pretty impressive looking on it too.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I have seen region-free kits on ebay, a reasonably skilled user can install it.

Proceed at your own risk with that though.
Some of the region hacking kits for some BD players just plug into the outside jacks, so no need to even open it up and void the warranty. I plan on buying an Oppo BD player next time around because of such kits. I have DVDs from around the world (and therefore keep my old DVD player that is region free and can play both NTSC and PAL and convert between them), and am lusting after some region B BDs (Masters of Cinema seems to be a generally great brand of movies, and they release disks for the UK market). My next BD player will have switchable region playback for BDs, and be region free for DVDs, one way or another.

C

celtic

Audiophyte
Can i run my cable box through the 105 and use it's analog outputs. i want to use the analog inputs on my denon 5800 receiver

K

kyle bermingham

Enthusiast
From the Oppo site: "Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM."

If my Marantz AV-7701 allows for either, which should I do? And which means using component and which means using HDMI, or is this a separate issue?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
From the Oppo site: "Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM."

If my Marantz AV-7701 allows for either, which should I do? And which means using component and which means using HDMI, or is this a separate issue?
That DSD output means over HDMI AFAIK, but the benefit, if you are talking about the 105, would really be to use its analog section.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I am not sure if the 7701 would accept DSD (8801 does) but it must accept PCM. Pretty much all AVRs and prepros do.

T

ttindle

Audiophyte
Q: Does OPPO 103 / 105 Blue ray Player support discretet IP On / Off commands?

I am using IP control of my OPPO 103D but found out that they currently don’t have discrete ON / Off commands. RS-232 works just fine but I didn’t want to have to buy another Global Cache device and all the hassle when it has an Ethernet jack on the player.
See the following support message to OPPO…

Message to OPPO:
I love my 103D!!! But, Please fix the discrete on / off commands in your IP interface. I know they work for RS232 but I don't want to spend the extra $250 it would cost me to connect my automation system to it.
Will the fix be in the next firmware release?

OPPO’s Response:

The IP Controls are still a work in progress. Ultimately we hope to have the IP Controls mirror the RS232 commands, but we do not know when this may occur.
(If OPPO doesn’t know then I Wonder who does?)

Recommendation:
If you would like them to make this a priority, send them a message.
You might even post on other sites to encourage others to do the same.
Unfortunately, Good customer service usually only occurs if enough customers make noise and it goes public. Otherwise, hey they got your money, why do they need to do anything!

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

T

tbaudoin

Audiophyte
Just a crazy question. I been wondering recently, due to my Denon 4310CI not passing 3D and having an ARC, if I can do the following without killing something or if there have been others who have done this.....?

1. All sources (STB, ROKU, APPLE TV, Oppo) to the Denon
2. HDMI OUT on the Denon to HDMI IN on Oppo
3. HDMI 1 OUT on Oppo to DISPLAY, HDMI 2 OUT ON Oppo to HDMI IN on Denon.

I really want to be able to maintain the higher level audio decoding, so I suspect the only real option is a new receiver with an ARC circuit, else run another really difficult HDMI (20/20 hindsight is PERFECT). I had the chance, but thought I would replace the receiver asap -sometimes things just don't work out the way I planned... lol..

At this point, it seem like it might work, but I'm thinking I'm missing something critical... And, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to avoid a forced receiver replacement due to ignorance....

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis