Oppo 971H vs. Panasonic S-97

E

Ernest Acosta

Audiophyte
Hello all. This is my first post on this site. I've been reading the reviews and I must say you folks know your stuff. I just purchased a Panasonic 900U projector and need a good dvd player. I plan on getting the new HD dvd player "after" christmas but right now I can't make a decision between the Oppo 971 and the Panasonic S97. I didn't see an HDMI connection for the Oppo. Is the DVI connection the same thing? Or do I need an adapter to get the best video from the Panasonic projector? Which one would you guys recommend? Thanks.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Ernest Acosta said:
Hello all. This is my first post on this site. I've been reading the reviews and I must say you folks know your stuff. I just purchased a Panasonic 900U projector and need a good dvd player. I plan on getting the new HD dvd player "after" christmas but right now I can't make a decision between the Oppo 971 and the Panasonic S97. I didn't see an HDMI connection for the Oppo. Is the DVI connection the same thing? Or do I need an adapter to get the best video from the Panasonic projector? Which one would you guys recommend? Thanks.

I have the S97. I had a bad experience. At about 50 hrs of time on it, after the warranty, of course, it started to act up, loosing memory about aspect ratios, etc. While the part was under warranty, 1 yr. labor was not. Shipping was not.:mad:
So far the fix is working but if it fails again, I will get another brand unless the HD universals are out by then.

I do miss the ejection feature on a player.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Ernest Acosta said:
With the oppo dv971, they provide you with the cable. The dvi(video signal only)from the oppo will connect to the hdmi input on your other components and the cable is included in price, can't beat that!! Many people on this forum use both products and everyone will tell you the oppo video upconversion is second to none but then again I'm bias.:)

Last edited:
B

Blundaar

Audioholic
I also have the S-97. No trouble to date (about 8 months). Excellent picture AND audio (should you decide to use it). Both are good players. I decided to go for a product that would, hopefully, have more support behind it should something go wrong (knocks on wood...).

E

Ernest Acosta

Audiophyte
Thank you all. I'm leaning towards to Oppo. With the DVI to HDMI connection I understand that only the video will transmit. So I'm assuming the audio will come through the component outputs?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
As for your question

Ernest Acosta said:
Thank you all. I'm leaning towards to Oppo. With the DVI to HDMI connection I understand that only the video will transmit. So I'm assuming the audio will come through the component outputs?
yes, if your referring to the audio outputs. I'd also suggest either get a coax or fiber optic cable and hook the audio up that way for even better sound.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
FYI: The Panny S-97 includes an HDMI cable in the box so there is no extra cable that is necessary to buy with that unit either. I have seen both the S97 and the Oppo and I decided to get the Panny. For overall performance, while the Oppo is excellent and does much more than DVDs, I want the best DVD player that I can get for my money.

Oh... and I found the S97 at my local Magnolia for $120 on a special.

E

Ernest Acosta

Audiophyte
BMXTRIX do you feel you are getting better video using the S97 as opposed to the Oppo? Is there a loss in resolution going DVI to HDMI? Thanks again folks for your response.

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
Ernest Acosta said:
So I'm assuming the audio will come through the component outputs?

yes, if your referring to the audio outputs.
Are you both referring to composite cables? Red/white? Or are you really referring to Component? I was always under the belief that component only did video. Digital Coax, which looks like a your typical RCA connector will be better than red/white RCA cables. Fiber optic even better.
Roly

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I should of

rolyasm said:
Are you both referring to composite cables? Red/white? Or are you really referring to Component? I was always under the belief that component only did video. Digital Coax, which looks like a your typical RCA connector will be better than red/white RCA cables. Fiber optic even better.
Roly
maybe corrected his question, with another question? I simply said, yes if your referring to the audio outputs and mentioned coax or fiber optic as another option. However, I've seen in another thread here on the forum that 3 composite cables can be used in place of a component cable and I think composite can carry both audio & video, as well? If I'm wrong, which may be the case then I'll be corrected and hopefully forgiven:eek: ;)

Last edited:
B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Ernest Acosta said:
BMXTRIX do you feel you are getting better video using the S97 as opposed to the Oppo? Is there a loss in resolution going DVI to HDMI? Thanks again folks for your response.
I assume you mean HDMI to DVI. No. Some people report macro-blocking issues, though, depending on their display- but most people have no issues, whatsoever (including me).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
billy p said:
maybe corrected his question, with another question? I simply said, yes if your referring to the audio outputs and mentioned coax or fiber optic as another option. However, I've seen in another thread here on the forum that 3 composite cables can be used in place of a component cable and I think composite can carry both audio & video, as well? If I'm wrong, which may be the case then I'll be corrected and hopefully forgiven:eek: ;)
I found the link http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24404

Well, there has been some confusing posts above.

Yes, composite video cables will carry component video signals and as you said, it will need 3 of them for component video feed. One needs to color code them.

Yes, any of these cables will carry analog audio, but not at the same time with a video signal. A video cable will carry digital audio but not with the video at the same time in it. Actually, a coat hanger will carry a digital audio signal as well:D

The red and white cables are usually for analog audio.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Ernest

my attempt was not to make this complicated sorry about that:eek: . When you mentioned audio goes through component I answered the question without correcting you! To make things simple any cable with a rca connector can send audio or video signals. The confusion occurred when the word component and audio where in the same sentence. The component outs will give you a video signal and the audio(coax) outs will be for sound. The cable you use dosen't really matter they are interchangeable? As far as your quest to buy a new player both are good choices and again good luck. :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis