OPPO 203 2 channel stereo out

D

Dishman442

Audiophyte
My new OPPO 203 DVD/CD player has analog 7.1 RCA outputs but no non-surround stereo outs.

I want to run non-surround stereo to my 2 channel system. Fine, I think, I’ll just use the front left and right outs from the 7.1 connections. Unfortunately I can’t find a configuration setting on the OPPO that provides unprocessed 2 channel stereo out. I’m obviously getting front Left/Right minus all the other surround tracks.

Anyone familiar with the 203 who has figured this out? In desperation I’m thinking of buying a cheap DAC just for the 2 channel stereo outputs. This is goofy as the 203 has a decent chipset already.

Thoughts?

A_Shah

A_Shah

Enthusiast
Just use FL & FR of the 7.1 channel , go into the settings and click onto audio setting you will find an option to Downmix Stereo or Downmix to 5.1 channel just highlight the Stereo and you are good to go I just sold my 203 as I was able to get from Oppo a new 205 UHD about a week ago I use 7.1 to go to the my Marantz SR5005 receiver for HT and the Audio XLR to my PS audio Directstream DAC for two channel experience as I have separated my 2 channel listening from HT system The chipset in 203 will beat most cheap DAC including Schilt

Hope this help.
Asghar

Last edited:
D

Dishman442

Audiophyte
Just use FL & FR of the 7.1 channel , go into the settings and click onto audio setting you will find an option to Downmix Stereo or Downmix to 5.1 channel just highlight the Stereo and you are good to go I just sold my 203 as I was able to get from Oppo a new 205 UHD about a week ago I use 7.1 to go to the my Marantz SR5005 receiver for HT and the Audio XLR to my PS audio Directstream DAC for two channel experience as I have separated my 2 channel listening from HT system The chipset in 203 will beat most cheap DAC including Schilt

Hope this help.
Asghar

Thank you Asghar! I will try that today. I didn’t see a downmix option before but will look carefully.

Congratulations on winning the OPPO 205 lottery. I applied for both but only was offered the 203. Still, it’s a tank of a 4K dvd and I hope it sounds great for Audio as well.

My passion is 2 ch with Odyssey Khartago monoblocks, Candela tube preamp and Suspiro phono pre.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you Asghar! I will try that today. I didn’t see a downmix option before but will look carefully.

Congratulations on winning the OPPO 205 lottery. I applied for both but only was offered the 203. Still, it’s a tank of a 4K dvd and I hope it sounds great for Audio as well.

My passion is 2 ch with Odyssey Khartago monoblocks, Candela tube preamp and Suspiro phono pre.
No need to select down mix if your source is 2 channel.

If you select downmix, then it will not change the contents of 2 channel (disc, FLAC, wave etc.) source but will downmix 5, 7 channel music source to 2 ch stereo.

It's described on page 64 of the manual.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If 2ch source don't know why you wouldn't be able to simply use the L/R pre-outs. Personally on my 203 I use digital output and use my avr for conversion. Downmix if you're using multich sources....

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
If you wanted a better DAC, you should've bought the 205. That said, you'll be wasting your money buying an external DAC for the 203!

D

Dishman442

Audiophyte
If you wanted a better DAC, you should've bought the 205. That said, you'll be wasting your money buying an external DAC for the 203!
OPPO has basically stopped manufacturing these products, instead offering the last few production runs to those who hit their site and enter their lottery. I “won” the ability to purchase a 203. Others “won” a 205.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
OPPO has basically stopped manufacturing these products, instead offering the last few production runs to those who hit their site and enter their lottery. I “won” the ability to purchase a 203. Others “won” a 205.
Oh I'm well aware, I nabbed one of each as soon as I heard! That's awesome that you were still able to get one - you won't be disappointed!

And although the 205 has a better 2 ch DAC, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the 'stock' 203.

A_Shah

A_Shah

Enthusiast
Both are very good I had a 203 for over a year before I sold it and got the 205 , I don't think it is a lottery with OPPO the way they are working it out is if you sent them an email and registered ultimately your turn will come I was lucky enough to get mine( picked it up at their Menlo Park office) as I had sent in an email to OPPO end of March , true the DAC on 205 is state of the Art Sabre ES 9038 chipset as as matter of fact it has two of these , of course can not compare it to my PS audio DirectStream DAC but ithe DAC in 205 is certianly better than the Schiit Gungnir I have with my HP Class A amp
OPPO will have 203 and 205 availability right into end of August for those who sent in the emails .
Sound quality of the 205 on a high end system is very sweet ! ( my two channel System system consists of Daedalus Poseidon Speakers Custom made Mark Sanders Quick Silver 60 watt Mono Block tube amps , PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Don Sachs custom made tube pre-amp and Cardis Clear Channel cables PS audio & Zu Power cables I use the 205 basically as a "transport" for the two channel system ( jitter free ), for movies use the 205 's 7.1 channel outputs for a separate HT system with Kef LS 50 for front & center , debating to go purchase a new AVR or just use the OPPO with a new 7 channel Power amp ? right now i am testing it with the Emotiva BAsX A-700 (courtesy Amazon return policy if I dont like it ) the combination sound good very clean and detailed but lifeless unlike my old Martantz SR 5005 which sounds fuller any recommendations would be helpful, the budget for the amp or AVR is reasonable -Thanks :)

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
My new OPPO 203 DVD/CD player has analog 7.1 RCA outputs but no non-surround stereo outs.

I want to run non-surround stereo to my 2 channel system. Fine, I think, I’ll just use the front left and right outs from the 7.1 connections. Unfortunately I can’t find a configuration setting on the OPPO that provides unprocessed 2 channel stereo out. I’m obviously getting front Left/Right minus all the other surround tracks.

Anyone familiar with the 203 who has figured this out? In desperation I’m thinking of buying a cheap DAC just for the 2 channel stereo outputs. This is goofy as the 203 has a decent chipset already.

Thoughts?
You can set the OPPO to stereo mix down.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
No need to select down mix if your source is 2 channel.

If you select downmix, then it will not change the contents of 2 channel (disc, FLAC, wave etc.) source but will downmix 5, 7 channel music source to 2 ch stereo.

It's described on page 64 of the manual.
I have the old 103 and I didn’t need to downmix either

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As mentioned, for 2ch content downmix has no effect. It only applies to anything with MORE than 2ch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis